Anyone truly Microsoft free?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by dpaanlka, Jun 24, 2006.

1. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

My PowerBook G4 has zero Microsoft software installed (as far as I know). Since last format I've been quite content with iLife '06 and Pages. No Office & no IE anywhere on this drive!

EDIT: I guess I mean Microsoft applications free...

No Word
    No Excel
    No PowerPoint
    No IE
    No Outlook
    No Entourage
    No MSN
    No Media Player
    No other titles by Microsoft...

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I still haven't worked past my Office fetish. I actually think it's a very accomplished suite and there's really no alternative for group projects at uni. :eek:

3. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Try doing a search for Microsoft. There will almost definitely be some infection somewhere...

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I'm with MJ on this one. Why should I be Microsoft free if I like one of their apps? I like Word and Excel, and I'll use LaTeX if I need to write a paper to be published. But Word gets the job done every time with no problems. The only thing I don't like is how it seems to have a problem with placement of images when I try to paste or insert one.

A non-usability related problem is how many features there are that I don't use, but I just ignore them. It's ok.

5. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

Not here. Halo and RoN are MS Game Studio games.

6. iGary Guest

iGary

7. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I stole the fonts from Office test drive before uninstalling it on my MacBook. So I don't have any applications from Microsoft at the moment, just 42 fonts. ;)

Anyone know a free, lightweight alternative to Powerpoint (or even just a powerpoint viewer)? If it was universal, too, it would be great. :)

Edit:

<embarrassed mode>I forgot one thing: I'm testing out Parallels with an old Windows 2000 I had lying around. So my MacBook is in no way Microsoft free... unless you don't count virtual machines... ;)

8. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

While not free, you could try ThinkFree Office.

It's sort of MS Office (Word, Excel and PowerPoint) compatible but does have it's limits.

9. medea macrumors 68030

medea

Zero Microsoft here. Luckily I don't need anything outside of a word processor or presentation software or I'd probably use Office. When the heck is Apple going to expand iWork?

10. mac-er macrumors 65816

You don't have Media Player either?

11. AtHomeBoy_2000 macrumors 6502a

AtHomeBoy_2000

THe only thing M$ i have on my Mac is Media Player. Flip4Mac just doesnt work very well. I dont have Office, i use NeoOffice 2.

12. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

I thought Flip4Mac got bought or got made the official MS partner for WMV on the Mac (thus allowing the killing of WMP). So, wouldn't even F4M be a quasi-MS product (at the least)?

13. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

i was but then i got Microsoft office... b/c i needed it:eek:

14. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Got a Windows laptop and i use office....msn and all the good stuff but i don't want to be free of microsoft so oh well.

Bless

15. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

16. dpaanlka thread starter macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Yuck, no way, what are you kidding? That's not even the current "official" player.

It's still not really microsoft software. Even if it ever becomes one (which I'm sure it will) at least I still won't have any Applications :D

Have you tried the latest versions of Flip4Mac (they update constantly)? They play a lot more files than the last release of Media Player Mac.

I actually like Pages and Keynote a lot more than Word and PowerPoint, and I don't use Excel for anything crazier than what Pages can do with graphs. To me Pages seems more design-capable, kind of like Apple's Microsoft Project, only not crappy. So it's more practical for me to use iWork than MS Office.

Of course, whatever your preference is up to you! I'm curious to see how many are like me and have no Microsoft software.

17. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

I have MS Office on my MBP, but I rarely use Word or PowerPoint. And I would use Flip4Mac, but they dont support Intel Macs yet. :(

18. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

I only really use Word and Excel. Keynote easily surpasses Power Point, so that's not an issues but Pages just doesn't quite cut it for me. I used Entourage for a while for accessing my hotmail account but it's so slow and clunky that I've given up.

19. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

no one is truly microsoft free. you'll use ms products that you don't even realize it. like an ATM that runs on top of windows, or maybe when you make a cell phone call it indirectly updates a SQL database running w2k3 which is how you get your bill. although, if you can make yourself happy with a laptop without ms products go right ahead. just know your'll still use them in the real world anyway.

20. dpaanlka thread starter macrumors 601

dpaanlka

I don't have a cell phone and I don't use ATMs. Actually that's a huge lie, but of course I mean on your computer. That PowerBook is just one of my many computers, most of which do have Office installed. But I like that my PowerBook has no Microsoft apps on it at all.

21. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

you pay taxes? goto stores and use credit cards? you have electricity? you surf the internet? you can't run from it. there is something that you use often that uses ms products.

22. dpaanlka thread starter macrumors 601

dpaanlka

:confused:

Right after I said I don't have a cell phone or use an ATM, I corrected myself by saying "that's a huge lie" - as in, I do have a cell phone and use an ATM almost daily...

23. RacerX macrumors 65832

I haven't used most of my Microsoft software* since the summer of 2002. That was the summer I had to deal with Microsoft's lawyers on behalf of one of my clients.

I do have MS Office 98 installed on my 3400c, but that is because I loan that system out to people as a training system and not because I have any use for that software.

* I have Windows 1.0, 2.0, 3.0, 3.1, 3.11 for workgroups, 95, 98, Me, NT 3.1 Workstation, NT 3.51 Workstation, NT 4.0 Workstation and Server, 2000 Professional, Word 5.1a for Mac, Office 4.2.1 for Mac, Office 97 Professional, Office 98 for Mac, Office 2000 Professional, and Office v.X for Mac... all packed up in a box. The last MS app I had fired up was Word 5.1a for reading my older papers from the early 90's.

24. iEugene macrumors regular

iEugene

I wouldn't mind having Microsoft Office on my iMac, it seems to be much better than it's Windows counterpart. But, aside from Adium, (which I don't think would count) I have no Microsoft software.

25. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I'm MS free!!! However there are people on my home network who use MS stuff