Anyone try UT 2004 at Macworld?

Discussion in 'Games' started by bnemesis, Jan 9, 2004.

1. bnemesis macrumors regular

How did it play?

Anyone want to take any guesses how it will run on a portable machine (ibook or powerbook?)

2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

This is a very good question, im sure it needs more muscle then UT2003. one little problem is the only macs with real Muscle are the G5's. Im sure it was running on G5's at the expo while Steve was boring everyone to death with another announcement of another walkman.:eek:

3. thatwendigo macrumors 6502a

thatwendigo

I'd rather listen to Steve talk about the plans for Apple than your rants, DHM. We all get that you don't like what Apple's doing and that you will never be happy with what they put out, unless it's some magical machine that they have to sell at a loss... Could you stop with the repetition thing, so I can stop feeling that I have to counter it?

4. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

this is about UT2004 not about how you cant stand the truth. By the way i would like to know what machine UT2004 was being shown on.

5. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

well what do you think they were being shown on :rolleyes:. apple wouldnt want to make their computers look like bad gaming machines, so im sure they were on g5's with 9800's.

iJon

6. thatwendigo macrumors 6502a

thatwendigo

If it were the truth, DHM, you could provide evidence and not mere rants. I've given you plenty to counter it, and all you can do is attack me personally by saying I'm not really a gamer, or go off on another rant about how slow the G4 is.

We get it already, and most of us agree that the G4 isn't the best chip that Apple could be using. Like iJon says, the best machines are the G5s, but there's a good, solid reason why you aren't going to see that level of performance in something cheaper than the $1700 that the 1.6 SP without a SuperDrive sets you back... Do I really have to explain economies of scale again?

7. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

dont bother fighting with him, all he wants is all the benefits of a custom 1 grand pc gaming machine in a mac form, which wont happen. the closest you can get to a 1g pc gaming machine is teh 1.6 g5, and it still lacks the amount of ram, high end processor, and high end video card that would be included in the price of about a 1000 dollar pc gaming machine. its like ive said before. there is a reason apple is known for its video, audio, and design capabilities, and there is a reason why pcs are known for their games and....well just games to me.

iJon

8. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

well at least your admitting that apple could do better then g4, thats a start. Still we have not heard from anyone on how Ut2004 looked, how it played, what the equipment was etc etc. I did notice you can now preorder the game. no system reqs yet.
    why you dont think a slower G5 could be used in the consumer line still baffles me.
    Anyone outhere that played UT2004 at the show?
    I imagine a lot of Pc gamers are wishing they could have seen this game.:D

9. thatwendigo macrumors 6502a

thatwendigo

Christ...

DHM, I've said since day one that the G4 wasn't the fastest chip Apple could be using. I don't know where you've been, or if you just don't read what I say, but I've never denied that the G4 is slower than the G5 and that it's not the quickest chip we could be using. What you don't seem to understand is that economics won't let things like that happen, though. The reason there isn't a cheap, consumer G5 is that the chip is only as fast as its architecture. If you want the same problem the G4 has (hint:it would be a lot faster, if the bus were more than 133mhz and took advantage of DDR), then go ahead and ask for a crippled motherboard. Me, I'll save my pennies and stack them away against a smoking dual G6 about a year or two from now... Hopefully, by then, Apple will have gotten an even bigger clue and put in the equivalent of WD's Raptor drives, the fastest RAM on the market, and some kind of insane graphics card. I'll hand over every cent of it, and do it willingly, because I believe that I'm going to get just what I'm paying for.

You will, too, if this low-end G5 ever shows up. You'll get a bargain-basement piece of crap, and we'll be treated to your rants about how slow the G5 is, now that it's been removed from its high-speed surroundings.

10. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

You are so far off thatwendigo, i never have said i want a bargain basement bunch of Junk. I want A G5 and a good to Great video card. Price it anywhere from 1200-2000 U.S dollars if its a all in one and that will be fine for me. If not ill get another Powermac they are way more versatile anyways. Apple isnt going to give away anything cheap nor do i want them to start making cheap computers. But as i have stated before as you love to rant on about a G4 in a 2 thousand dollar machine isnt doing it anymore for a lot of us as this Rumor site will attest to. How does all this relate to 2004? a new imac at 1 gig is hardly going to play ut2003 let alone 2004 in a way that is needed to enjoy the show. Thats all so dont get so touchy.

11. thatwendigo macrumors 6502a

thatwendigo

No, but you have unrealistic pricing expectations. You're not going to get a G5 all-in-one for that kind of price without some serious restructuring of the system, and that's going to cripple it. End of story. Apple might come out with something new and amazing, but I think that there's no good reason to expect anything like what you're talking about. Apple has never put cutting-edge cards in their all-in-ones, and I doubt that they'll start now, and certainly not for the lowered prices you want.

Pardon me, while I laugh a bit more. :rolleyes:

Me? The touchy one?

I'm not the one using personal attacks to make my main points, rather than offering anything that's even vaguely solid. Either show where I've ranted that the G4 is a great gaming machine (you won't find a single incident of it), or stop this ridiculous claim of yours that I champion the G4. I think that you're just trapped in the argument that you've been making, can't provide a shred of basis for it, and keep repeating it in the hopes that the people who don't know better will agree with you. Apple knows their market, and rarely makes the kind of mistake that seriously hurts them, anymore. The cube is about the only example I can think of off the top of my head, aside from the Newton.

Besides, your standards are insanely high for games. I have a great time playing Halo on my dad's tower, but I know that there are machines that will run it even prettier and faster. You know what, though? That doesn't mean I think that the G4 is some uber-gaming chip, as you seem to keep concluding from my comments. It's adequate to the task, but it could be better.

12. AssassinOfGates macrumors 6502

Bloody hell, stop arguing!

I too desire to hear from someone who was at the booth. Enlighten me.

13. sp00rk macrumors newbie

well to get back to the topic, ive got a chance to try out the game last week. from what i played, the game ran very well and looked absolutely stunning. it reminded me of halo except it looked nicer. the whole gaming booth was equipped with g5s. there were 3 computers running ut2004 at the gaming booth and 4 computers running the game at the ATI booth on a LAN. good fraggin fun.

you can check out some images here.
    http://www.insidemacgames.com/features/view.php?ID=276&Page=2

14. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

I'm interested in some educated guesses: Will the actual mods like RO also work with UT2004? Or will one have to buy UT2003 first to be able to play them?

15. bnemesis thread starter macrumors regular

From what Ive read about 2004, it is supposed to retain compatibility with not only UT 2003 servers, but UT2003 mods as well.

I hope this remains true in the final product. I also hope that its playable (at least @ 800X600) on high end iBooks or on a powerbook. Im getting a Mac portable in Feb, and UT is one of the three games that I regularly play.

16. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

It's good to hear that someone enjoyed it. I'll be looking forward to it, although my machine will not be great at it. I expect that, since the core is mostly the same, that the current maps would play about the same, but there are more outdoor maps, which don't work all that well on modest hardware.

17. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

Hi DHM,

as we all know you are really pissed about current price/game_performance
    of the current iMacs. My guess is that at the end of this year you will be happy again. Hope so.

Cheers

18. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Looking very forward to this game and doom3 though i dont think Id has publicly stated a Mac version yet. Imac is a beautiful machine and the 17 wide would be a nice gamers machine if they can just give it a G5 and better video card. anyways my wife is getting me a G5 for my birthday or a little after so im content to wait and see what Apple will do. she gets the quicksilver 1.47. Anyways there is a G5 in my future. I do love Macs but its been very hard to watch apple go almost nowhere with G4s all these years.:rolleyes: 2004 will be great for Mac gamers and UT2004 is supposed to be optimized for the G5:cool: thanks spoork for the review though pretty sparse.

19. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Spot on with that last one, Don't Hurt Me!

I just got a Dual 1.8 GHz G5, 1.5 GB RAM, Radeon 9800 Pro (YES, ADC!! :D <remember?>).....
    And, OMG it at least DOUBLES the performance of my Dual 1.25 Ghz G4, 1.5 GB RAM, Radeon 9800 retail (no ADC...)

The G5 is one heck of a gaming Mac... WOW!!!!

I wonder how Doom 3 will perform.. please, please.... give it to us!

20. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

im happy for you, the dual G5 is a machine. its great to see apple moving forward again. Im sure if Id does Doom3 for mac it will utilize what the mac can do. macsoft has stated optimization for G5 UT2004 and Aspyr is doing it for Jedi Knight II so it will be pretty. congrats on that new machine.:) Im just waiting and watching. have gotten very used to waiting with motorola if you know what i mean.;)

21. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Tnx, man.

Yep, I really love this machine.
    I hope that you'll be gettiing one for your birthday, it won't let you down.
    Hopefully you'll get one once the new ones are released.... Get over the 2 GHz Dual with Radeon 9800 Pro Special Edition (256 MB VRAM...).

Start drooling.... :)

Have fun!

22. PismoGuy macrumors member

requirements?

Do any of you know what the requirements will be for UT2K4? I am assuming that they will be the same as 2003's, but I'm not sure. I would like them to remain the same because currently my emac is playing the game decently, but I feel that if they raise the req... I will be doomed. :( Also am I right to believe that some of the code may be tweaked to improve performance?

23. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

Hmmm... this is interesting, I've tried UT2003 on a DP 2.0 G5 w/ a Radeon 9800 Pro and it still stuttered a lot (even with the new patcH) at 1024x768... I wonder if that means UT2004 will run better if its more optimized for the mac from the start.

24. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

It should be a lot better, G5 is handicapped right now on these games coded for G4 though still outperforming the G4s.

25. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Just for your information, I'm pretty sure that Doom 3 has indeed been announced for Mac (on a hybrid CD I think).