Anyone try VPC7 with G5

Discussion in 'Games' started by PowermacG5, Mar 21, 2004.

1. PowermacG5 macrumors regular

Jul 24, 2003
    Grand Rapids, MI
    anyone try to game with the virtual pc 7 for mac os
  2. xelterran macrumors 6502

Dec 28, 2001
  3. Grimace macrumors 68040

Feb 17, 2003
    with Hamburglar.
    No, it's not out yet.
  4. Macpoops macrumors 6502

Jan 15, 2002
    Give it up. VPC will never be able to be used for gaming. It's a pipe dream. Just accept it and move on.
  5. Maclarny macrumors 6502

Apr 20, 2003
    I find a real PC works well :D
  6. kiwi_the_iwik macrumors 65816

Oct 30, 2001
    London, UK
    The ONLY way that VPC will be ANY good is if the correct and licensed DirectX drivers are written into the program to work natively with Mac graphics cards - and the "pipe dream" may in fact now become a reality, since the actual license holders - Microsoft - now actually OWN VPC...

In previous (and current) versions of VPC, all graphics processes are handled under emulation, and therefore use up valuable processor speed for screen redraws. With graphics-intensive programs (such as games), this lag is unacceptable, and causes the programs in question to perform ridiculously slowly - even on high-end machines.

Once this problem is addressed, expect to have a MUCH accelerated gaming experience.

7. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Jul 6, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Nice theory, but when has Microsoft ever bought a technology and made it better? It's just not how they work.
  8. krisjon macrumors regular

Feb 29, 2004
    San Diego, CA
    You're kidding, right? You could cut off both my legs and I could still run faster than VPC does on a mac. Running games with it? It takes forever just to get MS Word to run, although I think it has a higher frame rate than Halo :D
  9. 7on macrumors 601

Nov 9, 2003
    Dress Rosa
    Hey, if they do get it to work that opens up alot of new business on the Mac side for them. I'm sure if VPC even had 2001 equivalent speeds in performance, more people would buy it, thus enabling MS to sell their OS on more hardware. Though I'm sure Windows might become hardwired to it as in no multi-installablble OS option. But if it increases speed, I'm all for it.
  10. eclipse525 macrumors 6502a

Aug 5, 2003
    USA, New York
    Yeah man, VPC is a turtle. IT SHOULD, in theory run a fast as Mac Classic mode but for some reason they can't make it happen.

11. JamesDPS macrumors regular

Feb 25, 2004
    Irvine, CA
    What are you talking about? I play games with VPC all the time! I love DopeWars.... Lemonade Stand is good too :D And is it me, or is Britney's "Toxic" video strangely addictive? She irritates the hell out of me but that sheer white number... damn.
  12. jamdr macrumors 6502a

Jul 20, 2003
    Bay Area
    Is VPC really that slow?

I've tried using VPC on a 1GHz G4 with only 256MB on RAM, and it was extremely slow. But I always thought (and hoped) that it would be acceptably fast on a 1.25GHz G4 with maxed out RAM. Is this not the case? Is it just as slow?
  13. MovieGuy macrumors newbie

May 31, 2003
    I have a Dual 800 G4 with 1.5 GB RAM and a GeForce4 TI Card and it is still slow. No luck!
  14. Meemoo macrumors member

Mar 21, 2004
    Sugar Land TX
    I have 4 ideas on Win-based gaming on the mac

VPC on the mac may get better since to avoid further antitrust allegations it would really help their case, and as stated now that Microsoft is developing it, maybe we could see some Apple-Microsoft collaboration in developing the next generation of VPC software. Afterall Microsoft is trying very hard to prove that it can survive without the support of intel, and intel is trying to prove it can survive without microsoft. For microsoft to do this they are braching out and the Macintosh platform isn't too bad...

Case 2.
    Microsoft is using a special version of NT to develop the next generation of Xbox games. The language thier building it in..
    ...Direct X.
    Which means that there are drivers and such. Man I really wish I could get a hand on this.

Case 3.

Longhorn launches on x86 (followed by/at the same time as) a PPC version. This makes sense since as I read in the inquirer IBM is trying to find 3rd party motherboard manufacuters for the PPC 970. This means we may see a whole new world opening up to the PowerPC architecture. And while HP/Dell/and the likes may start to build both x86 and PPC computers, and they become avaliable to the general PC building public, Apple will still have an upper hand: The Mac OS, Windows if you need it, and Linux, all due to the fact that Apple has that little rom on the logic board that prevents you from screwing with thier crap :)

Case 4

Apple picks up Darwine, and we prey.