Anyone upgraded an imac core duo to C2D?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by valmundo, Dec 24, 2006.

1. valmundo macrumors newbie

Hi, I have an iMac Core Duo. Previously, there was an article on macrumors that said it was technically possible to swap the core duo cpu with a core 2 duo cpu on an imac. Has anyone tried this? I am sure the warrantly would be voided if I did this but I think it would be wiser for me to go that route rather than buying another imac.

Any feedback is welcomed.

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

123macmini.com 's forum has an article about doing that on a mini,
    I just feel thats not worthy it at all, for little performance improvement, u spend $200.00 and void warranty,

3. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

4. valmundo thread starter macrumors newbie

So you don't think the ability to enable 64-bit computing would be worth it? (Especially if my warranty is about to expire? I do not have applecare).

Should I expect to see a noticable jump in processing power? (I create media content as a hobby so the more juice I can squeeze out of my system the better).

5. Victory macrumors newbie

What do you want to do with the machine that you can't now? It would seem as if you would be better off upgrading the "machine" vice the processor.

6. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

there isn't software utilize 64bit, and u won't enjoy it in next 5 years.

7. erikamsterdam macrumors regular

erikamsterdam

Compare the Macbook CD vs. C2D benchmarks. You gain some yes. Macbook innards are pretty much the same as the Mini

8. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Not entirely true, I have an (admittedly Windows/Boot Camp) app that benefits greatly from the presence of a 64-bit processor.

9. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Leopard will certainly benefit in 2007. I expect to see a FCS in 64-bit soon as well.