Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darrengreer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 11, 2006
Hey all,

I have a Hawking Technologies Network Attached Storage device, which is essentially a self-contained "Linux" device running samba. I can connect to it from my Windows machines, but when I try from my Powerbook, I can't connect.

I'm trying to connect using: smb://IPADDRESS

Any thoughts?

Darren

ddrueckhammer

macrumors 65816
Aug 8, 2004
America's Wang
If you are using Tiger, try browsing to it. My Dad has a Hawking NAS at his house and I can't remember how I connected to it but I know I transfered some files to it. Although, I remeber the transfer rate being really slow...

If you can't browse to it search the Apple support forums or macosxhints, I think there may be an article about it there...

Good Luck!

darrengreer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 11, 2006
Thanks for the article link, that worked perfectly.

It seems, I was always trying to "browse" the share by just using smb://IP/ ... As soon as I added the share name, it connected no problem.

Thanks

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
darrengreer said:
Thanks for the article link, that worked perfectly.

It seems, I was always trying to "browse" the share by just using smb://IP/ ... As soon as I added the share name, it connected no problem.

Thanks

heh trust me I wasted a lot of time on the same problem...

darrengreer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 11, 2006
superbovine said:
heh trust me I wasted a lot of time on the same problem...

Heh :) I wasted about 2-3 hours, then gave up for about a month. I recently joined the forums, and figured, what the hey. Paid off :) Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.