Anyone use a 'kneeling chair'?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by treblah, Mar 7, 2006.

1. treblah macrumors 65816

treblah

Like these?

I haven't sat in one since I was 13 but I have this fond memory of how comfortable it was and I'm thinking about buying one. Do you use it as a computer chair? How many hours a day?

Thanks.

2. SurfinSHELL23 macrumors regular

My cousin has one of these... looks very strange at first sight. I never sat in it however.

3. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

i have one, I use it as my computer chair. It depends on like how much i need it cuz it also functions as my school-desk chair, but i'd say per day i average about 3 hours in it? Sometimes my legs get tired in it and i'll flip the chair around so like im sitting normally with the kneeling part behind me (coincidentally im doing that now). Great for your back if they're adjusted right, okay for style, meh for comfort.

It was cheaper than a $100 plastic computer chair though, i only payed like $45 :)

4. treblah thread starter macrumors 65816

treblah

Thanks for the info, where did you get yours?

5. poopyhead macrumors 6502a

poopyhead

I bought one at office max a few years ago and used it for about two years
    it was great for my back but after a while hurt my knees and legs

6. HungrySeacow macrumors regular

I would think that this type of chair would be horrible for ones back since there is no back support. Maybe I will go to staples and try one out :)

7. cslewis macrumors 6502a

cslewis

When the middle school first bought kneeling chairs for the school library, no one knew how to sit on them. Including me. I perched backwards on the end of the buttock-area, got excited by something, and WHAM! That laser printer never knew what hit it.

8. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Isn't a kneeling chair better know as the floor?:rolleyes:

9. treblah thread starter macrumors 65816

treblah

Your 'funny' comment made me remember something I saw once on a church sign: God answers knee-mail. :)

10. Oryan macrumors 6502a

Oryan

I used to have one of these, but I got tired of not being able to lean back. I tend to do that a lot when I'm debugging code or writing papers. Now I'm back to a "normal" office chair.

11. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

first time i saw one (loooong time ago) at a friend's house i said "dude, i think you're chair is broken... it was like that when i got here, i swear". :D
    i find them annoying but everyone has their preferences. <shrugs>

12. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

Oh! Is that what your supposed to do on those? :eek: oops!

I sat on the knelling area and rested my arms on the butt area! :p Im an idiot!

13. Glenn Wolsey macrumors 65816

Glenn Wolsey

14. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Nope, don't have one, but I always kneel on my computer chair hanging over the backside of it, with my butt up in the air. It's pretty comfortable. I alternate whenevermy butt or knees get tired.

15. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

the rents have one, and its not bad, but i'm not sure I would want to spend hours each day on one.

16. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

Brings back memories. My best friend's father had one. At first I had no idea how to use it. I would use one for a few hours at a time but not much more than that. Of course I don't follow those "How to sit proper at a computer desk" guides on posture and such.

This thread reminds me I should contact my friend sometime. It's been a while you know.

17. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

i got mine a few months ago at Office Max, but i can't find a link on their site, or any kneeling chairs for that matter. If i find it or the equivilent i'll post it for you :)

EDIT: found it after some digging, i got mine in black though.

18. stonyc macrumors 65816

stonyc

I had one when younger, and I hated it then... too rough on the knees.

After I had knee surgeries and later my wife had one of those... tried it again, and holy jebus the pain. I made her give it away... will never "sit" in one of those abominations again.

19. treblah thread starter macrumors 65816

treblah

That's really crazy, my best friend's father had one too, he is actually the only person I've ever known to have one and the one I mention on the first post. :eek:

20. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

someone take a pic of someone sitting in it correctly, I still have no idea how you can even sit in those things.

:confused: :confused:

21. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

We had one at work a couple of years ago, until the wheels fell off. I had a go myself – it was actually quite comfortable, and is supposed to be good for the back and your posture.

22. stonyc macrumors 65816

stonyc

Aside from my knee issues the other thing I had against these chairs was that you couldn't spin in them effectively. Wheeeeeeeeeeeee! :p

23. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

I used one for a few years. It was good because it forces you not to slouch, so its good for your back and posture. I finally got rid of it because the cushioning on the knees kind of wore out and wasn't providing the needed softness anymore. That caused my shins to start to hurt. So I went to a regular chair I had laying around after that. So I think they are good, but padding is important.

24. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

they shouldnt hurt your knees. if theyre adjusted right, youre supposed to have almost all your weight on your butt, with just a little on your knees; just enough to make you want to sit up straight.

25. stonyc macrumors 65816

stonyc

How are they "kneeling chairs" then? Just kidding :p

I'm not sure why I disliked them initially... maybe had something to do with not feeling "free" anymore, you know, to swing your legs and such... stretch out, etc. Anyways, those chairs became pointless to use for me after my knee surgeries.