Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

treblah

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 28, 2003
Like these?

I haven't sat in one since I was 13 but I have this fond memory of how comfortable it was and I'm thinking about buying one. Do you use it as a computer chair? How many hours a day?

Thanks.

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
i have one, I use it as my computer chair. It depends on like how much i need it cuz it also functions as my school-desk chair, but i'd say per day i average about 3 hours in it? Sometimes my legs get tired in it and i'll flip the chair around so like im sitting normally with the kneeling part behind me (coincidentally im doing that now). Great for your back if they're adjusted right, okay for style, meh for comfort.

It was cheaper than a $100 plastic computer chair though, i only payed like $45 :)

treblah

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 28, 2003
rockthecasbah said:
It was cheaper than a $100 plastic computer chair though, i only payed like $45 :)

Thanks for the info, where did you get yours?

HungrySeacow

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2006
West Palm Beach
poopyhead said:
I bought one at office max a few years ago and used it for about two years
it was great for my back but after a while hurt my knees and legs
I would think that this type of chair would be horrible for ones back since there is no back support. Maybe I will go to staples and try one out :)

cslewis

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2004
40º27.8''N, 75º42.8''W
When the middle school first bought kneeling chairs for the school library, no one knew how to sit on them. Including me. I perched backwards on the end of the buttock-area, got excited by something, and WHAM! That laser printer never knew what hit it.

treblah

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 28, 2003
MacNut said:
Isn't a kneeling chair better know as the floor?:rolleyes:

Your 'funny' comment made me remember something I saw once on a church sign: God answers knee-mail. :)

Oryan

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2005
Lincoln, NE
I used to have one of these, but I got tired of not being able to lean back. I tend to do that a lot when I'm debugging code or writing papers. Now I'm back to a "normal" office chair.

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
first time i saw one (loooong time ago) at a friend's house i said "dude, i think you're chair is broken... it was like that when i got here, i swear". :D
i find them annoying but everyone has their preferences. <shrugs>

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2004
Nope, don't have one, but I always kneel on my computer chair hanging over the backside of it, with my butt up in the air. It's pretty comfortable. I alternate whenevermy butt or knees get tired.

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
the rents have one, and its not bad, but i'm not sure I would want to spend hours each day on one.

joepunk

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2004
a profane existence
Brings back memories. My best friend's father had one. At first I had no idea how to use it. I would use one for a few hours at a time but not much more than that. Of course I don't follow those "How to sit proper at a computer desk" guides on posture and such.

This thread reminds me I should contact my friend sometime. It's been a while you know.

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
treblah said:
Thanks for the info, where did you get yours?
i got mine a few months ago at Office Max, but i can't find a link on their site, or any kneeling chairs for that matter. If i find it or the equivilent i'll post it for you :)

EDIT: found it after some digging, i got mine in black though.

stonyc

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2005
Michigan
I had one when younger, and I hated it then... too rough on the knees.

After I had knee surgeries and later my wife had one of those... tried it again, and holy jebus the pain. I made her give it away... will never "sit" in one of those abominations again.

treblah

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 28, 2003
joepunk said:
Brings back memories. My best friend's father had one. At first I had no idea how to use it.

That's really crazy, my best friend's father had one too, he is actually the only person I've ever known to have one and the one I mention on the first post. :eek:

stonyc

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2005
Michigan
Jaffa Cake said:
We had one at work a couple of years ago, until the wheels fell off. I had a go myself – it was actually quite comfortable, and is supposed to be good for the back and your posture.
Aside from my knee issues the other thing I had against these chairs was that you couldn't spin in them effectively. Wheeeeeeeeeeeee! :p

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
I used one for a few years. It was good because it forces you not to slouch, so its good for your back and posture. I finally got rid of it because the cushioning on the knees kind of wore out and wasn't providing the needed softness anymore. That caused my shins to start to hurt. So I went to a regular chair I had laying around after that. So I think they are good, but padding is important.

chaos86

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2003
they shouldnt hurt your knees. if theyre adjusted right, youre supposed to have almost all your weight on your butt, with just a little on your knees; just enough to make you want to sit up straight.

stonyc

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2005
Michigan
chaos86 said:
they shouldnt hurt your knees. if theyre adjusted right, youre supposed to have almost all your weight on your butt, with just a little on your knees; just enough to make you want to sit up straight.
How are they "kneeling chairs" then? Just kidding :p

I'm not sure why I disliked them initially... maybe had something to do with not feeling "free" anymore, you know, to swing your legs and such... stretch out, etc. Anyways, those chairs became pointless to use for me after my knee surgeries.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.