Anyone use a MD on their mac?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by JRM PowerPod, Aug 11, 2006.

1. JRM PowerPod macrumors 6502

I'm looking at getting a Sony Hi-MD just wondering if anyone has used one with a mac before. its specs say it does work, but just wanted to know if anyone has had any experience with one.

Thanks

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Nah... only tried with my girlfriend's old Net-MD. And the only way to use that is through to run OpenMG Jukebox through Windows. It works, and I'm using that word in the broadest possible way, through Parallels on my MacBook, but when we tried using Virtual PC on her iBook Windows never recognised the MD (ironically both Macs recognized the Net-MD and identified it perfectly, but there's no OpenMG Jukebox substitute for the Mac :().

Don't know if you can use newer MD players. My advice: Sell the MD and get an iPod. Seriously. :)

Edit: Ah, I gotta learn to read post thoroughly :)o) ... since you've not gotten the MD, yet, scratch that last advice, and just get the iPod. MD's and Macs will probably never play nicely...

3. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

The new iPods are out in September, not a cast iron date but most of the rumour sites seem to say the same thing.

Save your money and wait till then.

MiniDisc was quite good in its time, i have a portable and a seperate at home which still gets played now and then, but iTunes/iPod has blown it out of the water in all regards to a home and portable music solution.

4. JRM PowerPod thread starter macrumors 6502

The only thing is that the sound quality is still better on my two older MD's than any of my iPod's (1G iPod,mini,photo,shuffle or nano). iPod's 'seemless integration' is really cool with iTunes, but i still think that the MD has the better listening experience. It does seem however that the mucking around to get one working may not be worth the effort, the new MD does look impressive, but i haven't got one yet.Thanks

5. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Well, when I've listened to my girlfriend's MD it sounds like sh...pooh, compared to my 1G iPod mini with a pair of excellent KOSS PortaPros. Of course the music on the MD had first been converted from our standard AAC@128 to MP3 in iTunes (I've not gotten OpenMG Jukebox to read AACs) and then to LP2 ATRAC (or whatever the format is called) in OpenMG Jukebox before transferring it to the MD, which is more or less useless for music (but OK for audiobooks which she's actually used it for). I, seriously, had better music quality on tapes in my old Sony WM-3 cassette walkman all through the 80s... ;)

I'll just repeat myself: Forget the MD, get an iPod. :)

6. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

Some of the new MD models are supposed to be Mac compatible, I guess you are looking at one of these?

I still use an older MD model to record band rehearsal, because this cannot be done with an iPod. I then transfer to my Mac via iMic in real time. Works pretty well.

7. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Well, if you have a regular iPod (don't know if something similar exists for nanos and the new video capable iPods) then you could just use something like the mic adapter from Belkin to record. Even though I suspect the recording quality is better on an MD I still think it's harsh to say it cannot be done with an iPod... ;)

8. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

Bit harsh, maybe. ;) I didn't allow for voice recorders. However the new iPod supports 44.1kHz recording, but there doesn't appear to be an adapter so I can attach a mic to it. :(

9. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

iPod: Recording voice memos

10. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

Thanks, good to know more options are becoming available. :)