Anyone use Azureus?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Old Smuggler, Sep 24, 2006.

1. Old Smuggler macrumors 6502a

Old Smuggler

Sep 8, 2006
    if you do can you walk me through opening up the proper ports?
    i need to get something for a school project? thanks :)
  2. jamone80 macrumors regular

Sep 22, 2006
    So Cal
    the process itself can be a bit confusing because it depends on the router you have. the wikihelp page is pretty helpful:

on this page, click "NAT Problem" and follow the directions for port forwarding. Hope this helps!!
  3. Makosuke macrumors 603

Aug 15, 2001
    The Cool Part of CA, USA
    It's pretty easy; pick a port in Azureus' configuration menu (I forget what it defaults to, but I usually type in something random in the high-thousands for security's sake), then fire up System Preferences, go to Sharing, click the Firewall tab and (assuming the firewall is on) click the "New..." button. On the popup, select "Other" for the port type, type in the same port number you used in Azureus (twice; I forget if it uses UDP or TCP, but it won't hurt to do it on both), give it a name in the Description field, and click "ok". Then make sure it's checked in the list under Firewall, and you should be good to go.

This is assuming you're connected directly to the internet; if you have your own router, you need to forward that port to your computer specifically. How to do that is going to differ depending on what kind of router you have.
  4. smitty330 macrumors member

Jul 20, 2006
    I dont know if anyone can help me but I use Azureus at home and download torrents all the time. But, at my college that I go to I simply can't use it I have tried different torrent programs and all sorts of different things. SO, I guess my question is does anyone know of a torrent downloader or a filesharing program that works on Campus'
  5. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Aug 17, 2004
    Communard de Londres
    Go to select your router and follow directions.
    Having reread the post,change the port you use to something in the 45000 to 55000 range.(that is if your at a college they're probably blocking the default ports).
  6. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Aug 11, 2005
    Behind the lens
    if you are in a campus dorm, or other housing from the university/college they are pretty much obligated, being a govt body, to comply with the DCMA.

Meaning, they block almost ALL upload/sharing capabilities of the network users, and stifle/block apps they know to be P2P. Limewire, bit torrent etc etc, are most likely NOT going to work on that network.

if port forwarding doesnt work, there is NO work around.

get out of the dorms, the local cable company doesnt care (unless it does!)