anyone use iCal?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by proverbs, Jul 27, 2005.

1. proverbs macrumors 6502

i started using this and saw it to be pretty handy. but i had a question - is there a way to check off the events after you completed them? i noticed you can do this on the 'to do' list, but it's a seperate list that's not on the calendar.

basically, i just want to check off the events that i do that put in the calendar instead of putting it on a totally seperate 'to-do' list.

2. stridey macrumors 65816

stridey

... If the events are on the calendar why would you want to check them off? If the current time is before the time the event is listed, it has yet to happen, and if the current time is after the time the event is listed, it already happened. :confused:

3. jsalzer macrumors 6502a

jsalzer

I get it

I use iCal. Love it. Syncs with my Palm. Syncs with my other Mac via .Mac. Looks beautiful.

Anywho - I see what you're trying to do. My only suggestion would be that if you don't complete a task on the day you have it on the calendar, just drag the event over to the next day.

What would I really like to see from iCal? It actually requires nothing from Apple. I want Microsoft to allow Outlook to export an iCal/vCal file so I can take my company's calendar home with me. :)

4. jsalzer macrumors 6502a

jsalzer

Another thought

Hey - had another brainstorm.

You could also have different calendars (colors) doing the work for you.

Maybe a cal called "StandardEvents" in a blue, and "EventsRequiringAction" in red. Once an event requiring action is done, change its calendar so it appears blue, effectively marking it as "done".

What do ya think?

5. pubwvj macrumors 68000

pubwvj

I love iCal. Our whole family uses it. I just wish it has a minimum view like PandoCalendar with a see-through option.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Have you tried this widget? You could even put it on the desktop, I guess, using the method for putting widgets on the desktop that has been discussed here....

iCal Events

7. proverbs thread starter macrumors 6502

8. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Well, events are things that happen, to-do is things that you (at least should) complete...

You could of course just delete events manually when they're done, or get iCal to do it for you. Under Preferences -> Advanced, you can get iCal to delete events (and to-do items) when they are passed (or done), se the attachment.

I love iCal and sync my calendar with my T68i, and even if it still needs some work, it's still an invaluable app... :)

Attached Files:

9. iDM macrumors 6502a

iDM

The Commonwealth of PA/The First State-DE
    I love iCal and i tried to submit a calendar however and i don't think it worked. When i put in the address it was very vague what the title was and what i had to add. Can anyone help?

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Tried to submit a calendar to whom? :eek:

11. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

Random link.

Not that this helps the OP, but I thought I'd throw in a link to some of the best PHP scripting I've seen recently.

PHP iCalender lets you upload your .ics files, and it will then parse the files and display it like this. Works with multiple files, and looks great.

Ideal for sharing your Calenders with the world/windows users.

12. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

to answer ur title question, i don't use iCal

13. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

Here's the answer you want. option + v = checkmark

14. jamesW135 macrumors 6502a

jamesW135

15. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

I actually just started using iCal after I upgraded to Tiger last April. I do find it pretty handy, and it's easy enough for the my parents to use too.

16. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....my calendar needs are pretty basic - I don't want or need any really advanced features at he moment....so for me iCal works perfectly, and of course syncs nicely between my mac's and iPod using .mac.....oh yeah!

17. Lucky8 macrumors regular

Lucky8

When I subscribe to US Holidays, I wouldn't be able to add new event anymore. It made the calendar "read only". :( :confused:
    Can someone explain please...

18. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

I love iCal. The only iLife apps i don't use are iMovie, iDVD and Garageband. I couldn't live without the rest.

19. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

oh yes

Yes I use it, not sure that I could go without it since day planners seem to get lost around my house :rolleyes: Can't lose my iMac :p But anywho I really don't have demanding needs just simple times and dates along with car milage for each month.
    B-day alearts are nice to have ;)

20. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

iCal is not part of the iLife Bundle. Only iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie, Garageband and iDVD are.

Any-who, I use iCal everyday. It is a little cumbersome at times, but it does everything I need. The only thing I would like as an option is to set the intervals at what ever I want instead of at every 15 minutes. What I mean is that if you want to add a new event, you can only choose say, on the hour, 15 after, at the half, or at 45 minutes. Some of my classes start at like 9:05 or 10:10. So that means I have to go in the info and change the starting time. I would like an option to choose what the intervals are in the calendar, so I could change it to jump every 5 minutes.

21. VanMac macrumors 6502a

VanMac

I dont fully use iCal, but I like it so far.

I create seperate Calendars for work related stuff, home, mac, etc. It is great having all the differnet colors, and different todo's related to each calendar.

22. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

I don't currently use iCal. I think I will start using it now that I see it can import vCal files. Anyone know if Novell Groupwise can export vCal files?

23. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

I used to use iCal. But then it got to hard to manage.

24. Whyren macrumors 6502a

Whyren

iCal's okay. I basically just use it to nag me about important things and let friends/family know my hectic schedule if they need to contact me. Feel's like it's been getting a bit slooow lately though.

25. jsalzer macrumors 6502a

jsalzer

Highlight the Correct Calendar

Hey, Lucky. What is happening is that you have "U.S. Holidays" highlighted on the left. When you double click on the calendar, iCal thinks you're trying to add to this calendar, which you don't have right to. Select the calendar (color) you actually want to add it to, then add away. :)