Anyone use iMac for music production?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by williamh, May 5, 2006.

1. williamh macrumors regular

Is anybody using iMac for music production?
    Like recording, mixing, and midi processing.

I have been using software like Digital Performers, Pro Tools for recording and gonna use Logic pro 7 for mixing.

Any suggestion or advice?

I'd like to hear some experience..thanx in advance :)

2. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

If you're not using more than, say, thirty or so tracks per song, you should be fine with an Imac (or even an older G4 or modded G3 tower). G5 towers are really overkill unless your layering hundreds of tracks (or working in video)...

3. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

Yeah, but I think the iMac is fine for video too, unless your on a tight schedule or adding a lot of special effects. To the OP (willamh), Pro Tools won't be Intel native for Mac until the end of this month.

4. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

G5 or Intel imac I'd agree. I don't think the G4 imac is good for video unless you're running a firewire RAID or something...

Video production on a G3 imac would be funny.

5. macgeek2005 macrumors 65816

HOLD RIGHT THERE. Let me warn you before you take another step.

First of all, any version of Digital Performer earlier than 5.0 (the lastest version) is not compatible with tiger. When you try to play or record, it crashes.

Secondly, I have seen Digital Performer used on an Intel iMac in my own home, and it runs through rosetta. It's not native. We recorded six tracks and played them back, and the audio would skip in places and then at the end it said we overloaded the CPU.

The short, simple, and sour answer is, NO. The iMac is a consumer machine, not made for professional audio/video production.

The long answer, is sweeter, but not as simple. Yes, you can use the iMac because it does run the programs... but they don't run very well, and you'll have to decide if you're willing to put up with the compromise of using a 2 inch computer vs. a Pro Tower.

6. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

But universal support will be provided for newer versions of digital performer. Eventually.

7. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

Wait a minute, I know more than a few people using Intel iMacs for pro audio/video.

As far as running programs very well, the OP also said Pro Tools and Logic Pro 7. As in my post above Pro Tools will be Intel native in a few weeks and Logic is native now. I guess it depends on the amount of tracks and plug-ins used in production. If it's not incredibly in depth, then I don't see a problem outside of the Digital Performer issue (which also may be resolved soon).

8. macgeek2005 macrumors 65816

I still wouldn't use an iMac for anything professional. It's just not that kind of machine. It's not built for it. Unless you're REALLY REALLY poor, and you REALLY REALLY have to record what you have to record, get a G5 tower, or wait for the Mac Pro's.

9. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

Right, and as I've mentioned in another thread, this is why I'm ditching my Quad in the first place. It seems that the Intel iMacs are fast and stable enough to handle the audio/video work that I do. I'm just waiting for Pro Tools to go native and I'll be set.

10. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

Well I'm not REALLY REALLY poor (and I know you weren't directing that towards me) or else I wouldn't have my Quad and 30 incher to begin with, I just don't want to wait for the Intel Mac Pro's.

EDIT: And I'm not saying that the iMac should replace the Pro tower, in fact my iMac (when it arrives) is just to hold me over untill Rev.B of the Intel Mac Pro's come out (if I actually need one at that point).

11. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

Why? Your quad should be plenty fast and way more upgradeable. I mean, not to talk you out of the switch or anything, but if it's just a matter of waiting. Though I imagine you'll make a tight little profit off the up/downgrade...

(sorry, didn't read your thread, just doesn't make much sense to me)

12. macgeek2005 macrumors 65816

Well then I would get a Maxed out 20" iMac, and then get a Mac Pro when they come out. Sell the iMac if you like.

That would get you more money than simply keeping the quad now, and selling it then, because it'll be worth much less then than what it's worth now, but selling the iMac later will still get you a good price.

That's what I would do. Those Mac Pro's are gonna obliterate anything you throw at them without blinking an eye. You definetaly need one when they come out.

13. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

Yeah, I don't do a whole lot of heavy lifting anymore. It seems that the iMac will do just fine for now and if I need more, then when the Rev. B's of the Intel Mac Pro's come out I'll consider picking up one of those and giving the iMac to my wife. :D

14. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

A good plan. And you could buy a used car with the profit you'll make. Or, you know, a week's worth of gas. ;)

15. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

Good point, that's exactly my thoughts. The extra money I get back now I'll save for the new Mac Pro's when they come out (once again, that's if needed).

16. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

LOLOLOL :D :D :D

17. howesey macrumors 6502a

I use an iMac G5, it is good for 40 - 60 channels. If I want more I just use outboard processing.

18. Josias macrumors 68000

Josias

Just a question, can you upgrade the sound card on a powermac G5, since you need mac edition graphics cards, and I haven't seen any mac edition sound cards?:confused:

19. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

I was thinking of doing that for video compression. I think I could still use Qmaster and Compressor across my network to create mpeg2's.
    What program are you using to get 40-60 channels?

20. williamh thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for everyone for the reply :)

I won't do any video editing but I run numbers of plug-ins so I need something that has been "native" for long period of time. (probably G5)

Although Mac is faster when switching to Intel, I still believe that a G5 tower will be sufficient enough for my needs. I won't go for Quad, it's way out of my budget. If I could find a Dual G5 with similar price as iMac, I think I'll go for the G5 machine.

Each song I'll do around 40 tracks. I think iMac has the best value among all the Mac machine (monitor and hardwares), or PowerMac G5 (Dual at most). Ah~ it's hard to decide!!!

21. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

Yeah, but if you have used Pro Tools before, then you are already familiar with the software and as I've indicated above (info from Digidesign's site) Pro Tools is soon to be native on Intel Macs. Whatever you choose, good luck to you. You can probably pick up a refurb dual core 2.0 G5 for around $1599.00 from the Apple Store.

I just prefer to be on the front end of new technology rather than the back end of old technology - IMO. Plus, if an iMac will hold me over untill the Intel Pro Towers come out (assuming I actually need one) then I'll be set with that.

22. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

I don't think so, but it's not that important, as A) the oem soundcard is pretty damned good and B) if you are doing high level recording, you're going to want to be using a digital converter BEFORE the signal reaches the actual ports (preferred systems are usually Firewire or USB2) and most of them have monitor outs...

23. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

That's valid. I'm sort of in the middle of those philosophies--I buy low end of top of the line when I need to replace, and then use/mod until it is completely worthless. I usually get 4-8 years minimum out of a computer...