Anyone Use IRC?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by dcoltonbrown, Nov 20, 2003.

1. dcoltonbrown macrumors member

Does anyone here use IRC?? If so, what client are you using and are there any mac specific channels?

2. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

3. Independence macrumors regular

I use xchat on windows. I hang out on SlashNET in a few channels.

4. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I usually use X-Chat bu mainly 'cause it's free... Snak is good but I'm not in a paying mood right now...

5. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I use Snak and Irssi. I can be found on: Macfora.com #macfora, Newnet #unix (for other channels, do a /whois on me ;)), Netgamers.org (do a /whois on Oi-Natit, too many channels to list), and Freenode #ignmac.

6. dcoltonbrown thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys...

I use Snak too, I have tried IRCLE but hate it. I think I will actually buy Snak.

I will look you up counterfit! You can always find me (dcolt) on rizon #tmd-movies

Thanks again.

7. 7on macrumors 601

7on

8. slowtreme macrumors 6502

I use Xchat. Xchat is feature complete and free (GPL'd). I guess Snak does have a couple features that make it easier to pirate in the File channels. ARRRR, AHOY THERE ME HARDIES. But do pirates pay for shareware? Xchat handles DCC just fine though.

IMO Conversation is the best Mac IRC for newbies that just want to chat, or people that love the iChat GUI. I like to use it when I'm just joining one channel.

9. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

Snak is also VERY easily scriptable and offers alot better op functions than X-Chat. Pretty much anyone in the channel before I switched to Snak can attest to that :)

10. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    i used to be on IRC 24/7, now that i have a job, i nearly stopped cold turkey. I use ircle because i paid for it years back, and im too lazy to go looking for another program. :D

11. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Too bad it's a PITA to change a script from being Ircle-compatible to being Snak-compatible. However, if someone thinks they can convert my tweaked iTunes script from AcidJazz, pm me :D.

12. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

I use Mozilla's Chatzilla for all my IRC activities. Its great. And its easy to use.

TEG

13. ethernet76 macrumors 6502a

I run VPC/mIRC. Couldn't ever stand the mac clients, and I know how to mIRC script. w00t

14. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Don't tell me you use VPC just for mIRC. Either way, congrats on using the least secure IRC client, as well as emulating the least secure OS :p

15. Island Roots macrumors regular

I use iRC; although it's no longer in development, it's one of the best IRC clients for Mac.

The IRC software field on Mac needs some more action; the current selection is sub-par.

16. ethernet76 macrumors 6502a

Yes i use VPC just for mIRC. There's an ircop script I use that's only for mIRC and is Newnet specific. If you want to port that script to something else, be my guest.

17. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Sure, right after I change that modified AcidJazz script of mine :D