Anyone use MSN Messenger???

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Falleron, Mar 19, 2002.

1. Falleron macrumors 68000

Falleron

Anyone use MSN Messenger??? It wont let me sign in + when it does I get loads of messages saying unable to deliver messages + many many sudden quits (I have the latest version)!!! Dont even get me started on the file transfer feature that is not present!!!

2. BeerDrinker29 macrumors regular

I have nothing but trouble with MSNM. Just got the new version today, hopefully it's better.

About your problem, sorry can't help you. I would just make a new account (have had to do it before..)

3. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

not that America Online is any better....but I do use AIM....

I'm registered with MSN, but I figure why bother?!

ICQ is also quite confusing for me....it doesn't seem to work in real time if u miss the client who u are attempting to contact...

4. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I have yahoo, AIM and ICQ for messengers... I tried to use the m$n one a while back, but didn't want yet another email address (I have seven between home and work).

The other three work just fine for what I do, and need. Especially when I use Fire to run AIM and yahoo (ICQ seems to have issues with Fire).

5. Quark macrumors regular

I have MSN (yuck!)

I am sorry to say that I have MSN in OS X.

I haven't had any of the problems that you mentioned - I even received a transfered a file.

I only put it on the Mac because a friend wanted to chat with me using it.

I'm going to remove it, since it is missing the video conferencing that it has on the Windows box.

This is one place where Apple could step in a develop an easy to use "all-compatible" chat program with video-conferencing built-in.

This is something that is desperately needed and lacking on the Macs. I recently moved from M$ to Apple systems and have found it a little frustrating when it comes to things like this.

BUT -- Apple is doing things right and that Remote Desktop thingy, that I was the first one to post on MacRumors (but didn't get credit for), is something that they are selling as a professional tool.

I can see an iRemote (something or other) that will incorporate limited remote desktop, video-conferencing, and messenging. It will probably be announced in a couple of days in Japan.

Microsoft has had this (FREE) for a long time, it is not unreasonable to assume that Apple will do this.

Take Care,
    Quark

6. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

I use MSN, but I prefer AIM,

Anyone who feels like talking mac:

MSN Name: gwickenden@brooklineuk.com
    AIM Name: EnsigPrs

Ensign

7. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

I dont use it

I dont like the idea of transmiting any data over any MS system. ... I use AIM... Not that AOL is any better or anything... I guess I have just been using it for too long so I dont care.

8. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

Same problems.

I've had the exact same problems with MSN. Try using Fire. It has some problems of its own, but is usually better at staying logged in and making sure messages get delivered.

If only my friends weren't on MSN.

Matthew

9. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

10. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Can I get a 'Hell YEAH!"?

Hey eyelikeart, I passed :D

11. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Congrats Alpha!!! :p :) :D ;) :cool:

hey everyone....AlphaTech is now officially Apple-certified!

12. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Thanks eyelikeart... now I am certified by Apple, as well as insane :D:D

Of the 1-1/2 hours they give you to take the test, I only used about 30 minutes.

13. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

Sorry for this...

But I use to write a lot here in the forums but most of the people have 500+ posts!!! So, thta is making me think that:

1. All of you write at list 4 post a day.
    2. You have been writting for at list 3 years.
    3. You are hacking the site and adding posts.
    4. You type anything just to get more posts.
    5. I am not that Mac fan after all even I have an average of 1.5 posts a day.

What do you think?

14. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

Re: Sorry for this...

To remain polite, I'll leave out names, but there definitely posters who over do it with the lame posts. You know, three consecutive posts by the same person each one sentance long. Sound familiar to anyone? I think some posters do do it to raise their post value.

But then there are posters like Eyelikeart and AlphaTech who post a lot but consistantly add value to the conversations. These are the kind of posters you like to hear from.

In short, there is good and bad. But the reason I like it here so much is that its mostly good. Also, when you spend a lot of time on the forums it starts to seem like a community; you get to know people's style and posts and you enjoy waiting for responses from certain people. Its a great place to burn my ever so precious free time.

Books-schmooks. TV-Schmeevy.

I'll take MacRumors anyday.

Matthew

15. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

?(drool)?

So what does it take to get started? I want that Cert!:D

For those of you who pooh-pooh short posts:

The info available to ACT's is just RUDE. I've worked with them and they get good money.

I spend long periods lurking so don't get TOO uptight.........I haven't broken 1000 yet!:p

16. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Re: ?(drool)?

You have to get access to Apple's Service Source web site. Usually, that requires an agreement between the company where you work and Apple. Once you can go there, there are study materials online to use. When you feel that you are ready, you call a phone number and sign up for the test. I did that part last Friday and set it up for this morning. I got there early, and was able to go right in and take the test. I don't know if they change the contents or not, or how often they do, but I would imaging they would do something to prevent people from telling other's what is on it. Besides the typical NDA that is at the start of the test. It's all computer based, and multiple choice type questions. Some have more then one answer, others you need to read carefully to make sure that you are giving what they are asking for.

All in all, it wasn't too hard for me to get a score of 89, when 67 is the minimum passing grade. Next up, I plan to study for the portable exam and be able to support those as well. :D... The desktop certification is going onto my business card as soon as the actual cert. arrives.

17. Ledfoot_Jr macrumors newbie

almost the same problem

I'm not able to log in on msn AT ALL. I wrote a letter to microsoft support and have gotten no reply. this really ticks me off cuz all me friends are on msn. :mad:

18. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

19. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

apparently mac15 didnt read the replies about postinflating earlier. i actually laughed out loud when i read his post after that, so maybe he did. either way, come on with that waste of a post ****. i hit 100 really fast, but past that has been slow. I don't really care tho, because I just post when I have an opinion or a suggestion. (or when i feel the triggerfinger ;) )