Anyone use Steam games on 27" iMac core2duo with bootcamp?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by iansilv, Mar 20, 2010.

1. macrumors 6502a

Jun 2, 2007
    I was wondering if anyone could post experiences. I am about to pull the trigger on an iMac for my wife, and i was going to save 300$ and get the core2duo processor. Anyone use it for Team fortress 2, half life 2, etc. on bootcamp? I am trying to gauge performance for when they release steam for mac in April, and figure out if I really need to spend extra for the i5 and 4850 graphics.
    Thank you for all input/opinions.
  2. macrumors 6502a

Jun 20, 2006
    Denver, CO
    I don't have a 27" iMac Core2, but I can tell you this:

Base your system setup to what Valve recommends for playing the game. It sounds like it'll run just fine, but you can't be too cautious. has the information you need.
  3. macrumors newbie

Mar 9, 2007
    I've tried it using my 24" inch with XP on bootcamp. Steam works great. The games do not. I tried demos for Little Ninjas and Dirt2. Neither would launch. I've also had issues with Need For Speed: World beta 4 not working either. Not sure if that one is a beta issue (the first beta worked) or XP/Bootcamp.

I'm waiting for the Mac Steam client to come out now.
  4. macrumors member

Jun 25, 2009
    OP, your computer will be overkill. i just bought a 21.5" imac with the ati card that is weaker than your's. l4d2, tf2, mw2 all max resolution, max settings, entirely smooth.
  5. macrumors 6502a

Aug 31, 2008
    I play Counter-Strike Source on XP Bootcamp on max settings and get about 120fps on average. Yours should be just fine. ;)