Anyone use the Note 2 as a data only "tablet" with a data plan?

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by spinedoc77, Feb 5, 2013.

1. macrumors 603

Specifically on ATT, although I'd consider other carriers if it worked. I'm not ready to replace my ip5 with the Note 2, it's just too big as a phone. But I'd love to carry one around in addition to my ip5 as a "tablet", to use for internet, video, RDP into windows, etc.

I doubt ATT would let me add it for $10 to my mobile share plan, but has anyone done this? Absent this I'm thinking I could pop out my ipad SIM card which is on a $10 mobileshare plan and pop it into the Note 2 and change the APN settings for data, would this work?

2. macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

Why not just get a nexus 7 hspa+ or wait for the galaxy note 8 lte.

3. macrumors 68020

b166er

I wish they would allow it. But it would crush their margins, since you could just use skype and replace your phone with a data only plan. However if you do figure out a way let us know!

4. thread starter macrumors 603

They are too big, I need something pocketable.

----------

Hmm, but you can do this with any other ipad or tablet, but chances are people don't want to use those as phones I suppose. Does ATT explicitly not allow this?

5. macrumors 6502a

TheHateMachine

Or even better use Google voice and get a real phone number with free calls and sms!

6. macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

They don't allow smartphones to have a non smartphone data plan. I know people have had success using International phones with cheaper data plans because AT&T sometimes can't identify the device by the imei. If you try to use an AT&T device then they probably won't let you add it as a tablet. Go to xda and see if anyone has tried this with the International Note 2.

7. thread starter macrumors 603

Dang, TY for the info. So if I swapped my ipad SIM and got it to work what would ATT do? Oh well, I can always tether it.