Anyone used a Bookendz 12" PB dock? Worthwhile purchase?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by mrjamin, Mar 8, 2004.

1. mrjamin macrumors 65816

mrjamin

http://www.bookendzdocks.com/bookendz/be03g412.htm

thats the doofer, anyone got one? I'm toying with getting one but i'm a little concerned that its not as easy to plug in as it looks! 1st hand testimony would be nice, but any advice is welcomed!

MrJ

2. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

Why? If I'm not blind, it's a $150 RGB to VGA converter. Well, can't you buy something that does the same thing cheaper?

3. mrjamin thread starter macrumors 65816

mrjamin

in essence, its a glorified DVI - VGA adapter. It'd make sense for someone like me who uses their powerbook as a desktop machine using external input devices. Am fed up with losing cables down the back of my desk!

4. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

i just use a USB hub for all of my perifierals so i only have to plug in one USB cable. so i have a power cord, USB, firewire, then DVI-VGA adapter . . . i guess id rather plug in 4 cables than pay $150 for a dock. . . though if someone gave me $150, im sure i wouldnt mind testing one out to tell you what i think about it.

5. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

I use my PB as a desktop when i get home. i plug my pb into a usb kvm, ethernet, audio, and power. I guess the the doc would be nice, but you still will have all the cords running out from your bookend just that you won't have to plug all those cables every singal time.

6. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

Well, if it was smaller it would work for me. I have every single port of my PB 12" covered except for the audio imput.

7. Kingsnapped macrumors 6502a

Kingsnapped

Somebody figured out how long this thing would take to pay for itself a while back. Think of how long it takes you to plug in your power and ethernet, then whatever usbs you might have. Take those seconds and do the multiplication. Maybe a little tape at the back of the desk can do the job a bit cheaper?