Anyone used a Harmony remote?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by emutree, Dec 17, 2005.

1. emutree macrumors member

Sep 4, 2005
    My family's planning to get my Dad one of the Harmony remotes for Christmas to control our basement HDTV/DVD/satellite setup.
    Does anyone have any experience with the remotes? We're leaning towards the 520 because of the price ($130 Cdn) but I was also attracted to the 880 (I admit a colour screen on a remote seems overkill, but it's on sale for $250 Cdn). Any users of either?
    I just wanted to make sure that the remote works well enough to justify its price, and the website doesn't actually give a lot of clues as to how it works. I understand that you can set up tasks like "Watch DVD" that turns your TV and DVD player both on, but can I do things like change the TV aspect ratio or add subtitles, for which there aren't buttons on the remote? I figured these options would display on screen - is there a way to configure what options display on the screen and are they easy to read?
    Thanks for all feedback
  2. e²Studios macrumors 68020

Apr 12, 2005
    I have a Harmony 880 and i love it, I moved my old Sony RM-AV3000 to the bedroom and realized what a POS it is in comparison. the Harmony line of remotes make it so simple to not only program but also use.

I love the color screen on the 880, i can make images custom backgrounds. The simplicity of pressing a button to watch TV, a DVD, listen to a CD and have the remote manage the powering on and off of the items in question along with switching video and audio inputs make it so easy to use. To the OP you can control the font size on the 880 but since i've never owned any other model i cant say if you can with other harmony models.

Synching works great with my Mac too :)