Anyone used speech recognition?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Erendiox, Jun 19, 2005.

1. Erendiox macrumors 6502a

Erendiox

It seems a little known fact, but macs do come bundled with speech recognition software. I just got my mac and spent quite some time playing with it. I can see it being very useful and more than just a novelty, but unfortunately I cant seem to get it to be relyable. Sometimes I need to say a phrase 2 or 3 times to get it to recognize. Also, if I leave the microphone on, it will sometimes execute random commands as if I had said them. I know I can just make a command phrase to activate the microphone, but thats just another word that needs to be painstakenly recognized before I can actually make any commands. These random commands happen even in a room as quiet as a mouse! Has anyone else had success in getting the voice recognition to function properly and on a relyable level or am I hoping too much out of this sofware?

Thanks!

2. simie macrumors 6502a

simie

Forget it, learn to touch type and use a mouse - it is not very reliable at all.

3. simie macrumors 6502a

simie

Voice recognition depends on the person using it.

Two friends of mine tried using Via-voice on the same PC a few years ago - one could not get a single word to be recognized and the other friend was only getting 3 out 10 of words recognized.

We asked a third friend to come and try it. About 99% of all his speech was translated successfully, so why didn't it work very well for the rest of us!

Our conclusion was, that it was dialects. One has Scottish dialect and the other has a Yorkshire dialect. The third friend didn't really have one at all and thats why we think that it worked.

I must admit that when I tried using it, I also had a bit more look with it. About 50% of the words that I spoke were translated in to text. It was still quicker for me to type the text in, than to mess about correcting errors.

I would presume that even on the Mac - that the reliability for this is still going to be very low.