Anyone used the Ionic Breeze, Living Air, or Lightning Air (Air Purifiers)?

Discussion in 'Community' started by MacAztec, Jun 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

I was wondering if anyone has used the Ionic Breeze, Living Air, or Lightning Air purifiers. Or any air purifier for that matter.

My house has a lot of animal dandruff, pollen, etc. My parents decided to buy a Lightning Air. It is the same thing as the Living Air (for those who know what I'm talking about).

Here is a description of the Living Air

I noticed the air in their bedroom (where the unit is) is much "lighter" and feels thinner when I breathe, making it easier to breathe. My nose also was stuffy, but when I went in their room, it wasn't.

Anyone else have some input?

2. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

I have these in every room of my house... they do nothing for dust control, but I do find their blades coated in black crap on a regular basis. They also make the air smell faintly of ozone, and they eliminate odors fairly quickly. They're utterly silent except when the blades get dirty (then you can hear electricity zapping and sometimes even see arcing between the blades).

I recommend them. Make sure you look into the "buy 1, get 1 at half price" and "free mini unit with purchase of full-size unit" deals.

P.S.: I'm talking about the Sharper Image "Ionic Breeze" units.

3. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

My wife and I have an Ionic Breeze Quadra (and a bathroom model). They do not really prevent your room from getting dust, but they do seem to make the air you breath cleaner and fresher. I have 3 dogs and used to wake up congested every morning. Since we bought these it seems that I am rarely congested in the morning (we keep the Quadra in our bedroom obviously). Look on eBay....Ionic Breeze (the actual company) sells their products refurbished on eBay for about 1/2 price.

4. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

absolut_mac

Before you spend any money on Living Air or the Ionic Breeze, read this review.

http://www.epinions.com/content_144521727620

The Ionic Breeze has been reviewed twice by Consumer Reports, and both times they found it to be virtually useless as far as its intended purpose is concerned i.e. it failed to purify the air.

This one always gets the best ratings from Consumer Reports, who measure the effectiveness of the units objectively, not by how much their noses guestimate the unit has cleaned the air.

http://www.epinions.com/content_125051440772

I didn't want to spend that kind of money on the Friedrich, so I bought this one....

http://www.oreck.com/air-purifiers/air8.cfm?bclick=36

Both my sister and I are very happy with ours. Fortunately I don't suffer from allergies, but both my wife and daughter do. Both of them don't have allergy attacks in our apartment any more since we bought ours, and in silence mode, it really is very quiet.

Let us know what you get.

5. MacAztec thread starter macrumors 68040

MacAztec

My parents already got the Living Air, I just wanted to see what others thought of it, and other Air Purifiers/Cleaners. Seems like I don't have a stuffy nose, and the air actually smells cleaner already.

The ozone that it releases is turned back into regular Oxygen (O3 back to O2) within a half an hour.

6. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    Im on my 3rd Ionic Breeze (Yup Third)... i love it... it may be a placebo effect or something, but the air is nicer to breath, and i dont get my normal dust type allergies. Yeah, it doesn't do much for dust control, but that's not what I got it for.
    My room is nice and odorless, and i can have my windows open, and it wont smell like my neighbors exhaust pipe.

Yeah, ebay has great deals, you can get a Quadra for $125 or so, IIRC. Sharper Image also has a refurb section on their website, and both come with full warranties.

7. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

Do you (or somebody in the house) burn candles on a regular basis? Most likely, that's what it's from. It sucks the soot right up and the blades get coated with it. I always forget to turn the damned thing off when I burn them...my whole Ionic Breeze, outside and all is covered with it.

And yes, I recommend them too. They don't really do much for my allergies, but they do make the air nicer to breath and they get rid of odors.

8. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I used to sell different filters...

I worked @ TSI (The Sharper Image) for about half a year. The Ionic Breezes are essentially overpriced and useless "filters." We saw hundreds of units come back as defective. It's something the employees consistently make fun of. :p However, the ozone works (duh) to remove odors. I also worked at a different company in direct sales selling all sorts of health and wellness products, for serious filtration, HEPA filters are still the most effective, though more costly, needing more electricity to run, and requiring replacement cartridges. If you're interested... the company I worked for is Carico International http://www.carico.com.

9. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

Say what you will, but each week when I clean mine, it's covered with crap that it cleaned out of the air...it's gotta be doing something right. I've had mine for several years and haven't had a problem with it.

10. RonJ83 macrumors member

i suffer from very bad allergies, ever since i got one for my room i am able to sleep. ive read all the reports and all the plus' and minus'. Sharper Image allowed me to buy one and try it out for 2 weeks, if i wasnt satisfied i could return it, needless to say SI hasnt gotten the Ionic Breeze back from me. It doesnt control dust, nor does my other HEPA filter, no matter what filter you use, one your dead skin hits the floor, its not coming back up unless you vacuum or sweep. IB is a great buy for allergy suffers, as for cleanin the air, i dont know. my room doesnt smell like garbage and it has a nice smell now (ozone)

11. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Like krimson said, I don't know how much of it's a placebo effect, but they seem to be helping. We've had two of the little Bathroom Ionic Breeze units for about a month now and the air seems fresher in the rooms where they're plugged in (especially in one bathroom that has always tended to stay, uh, stinky).

We got these smaller ones as a kind of test-run, before potentially taking the plunge and buying one or more of the bigger units (e.g. the Quadra) for our larger rooms. Still haven't done that, but we're "mostly convinced" at this point that it would be a worthwhile investment.

12. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

13. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I usually trust Consumer Reports on matters such as these, since they (always, if not almost always) give an unbiased opinion about the products they rate. Also, a friend of mine got an Ionic Breeze Quadra, decided it was useless, and returned it.

Gee, for some odd reason, this page gave no useful information about air cleaning! ;)

14. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

No, I never burn candles. Whatever it is that's winding up on the blades must be some combination of dust, pollen, and/or random airborne crap (particulates).

15. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

My TV and CRT monitor screens collect crap too but that doesn't mean they are cleaning the air.

Lethal

16. Nanda Devi macrumors regular

Ha, when I first saw the title of this thread, having never heard of Ionic Breeze or the other products, I thought it was about those little air freshener things you plug into an outlet and they shoot out floral-scented crap. :p I thought, "man, that's a pretty weak subject for a thread!"

I don't have a purifier but it would be nice to have, provided I could get one that was actually proven effective; my boyfriend's allergic to our cat and something like that would probably help him.

I do use a little humidifier in winter, which makes my apartment at least semi-tolerable (it's HORRIBLY dry in winter). But it's a real pain in the a** to fill up every night.

17. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

I was thinking about getting one of these. Our house always smells. We have 2 dogs and 3 cats

18. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

absolut_mac

Hahaha - that's great. Thanks for the laugh :)

19. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Ozone helps mitigate odors and would definitely help in your situation... only problem is, too much ozone = health hazard.

20. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

absolut_mac

I know that Oreck offer customers a 90 day risk free trial period to try it out. Maybe you can also try out the Ionic breeze at the same time, then your boyfriend won't need to rely on other people's opinions - he will soon see (breathe easier?) for himself which one is more effective.

As for the humidifier, sorry that I can't help you there as I have no experience with them. But if you really want to know which is best, just PM me I will check out Consumer Reports archives for you and let you know.

21. mrzeve macrumors 6502a

My room is becoming unpleasent because we dont let the cat go about other places in the house (dont worry - its a nice modernized basement - shes fine) and I really cant take it anymore.

I set up my room to have friends over all the time but the smell is always making me think twice now (its not that bad, its just a change from other places in the house) and some of them are allergic to the cat. I wake up some times with a stuffed nose cause of all her hair (Im a half ashmatic). Which one of these products would be best for me?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.