Anyone used the iPod video while running?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by manosaurus, Sep 28, 2006.

1. manosaurus macrumors 6502

manosaurus

Just wondering if the 30GB gets to heavy after a lot of miles. Definitely feeling the need for some music on my runs and since the 8GB nano and the 30GB Video are the same price, it's hard to justify buying the nano with 22GB less storage unless I know that the Video would be to heavy.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I don't have a video iPod but I have a 4G one that just doesn't hold up for running. It won't last you long because the hard drive will inevitably get jilted around as you move and it tries to access songs. The nano is Flash based and therefore doesn't have the same problems.

My 4G used to last about ten minutes into the jog before freezing and the hard drive needed to be replaced after less than a year. Now I use an original nano and it hasn't once frozen or needed any work. In addition, the nano is lighter and easier to carry. For running I highly recommend a nano.

3. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

You can run with the 30GB but I think the nano is better value for runners. For one thing, it works with the Nike+ Sport Kit, which is the only reason I bought a nano. How many GB of tunes you can carry shouldn't be the deciding factor in choosing an iPod for running.

4. manosaurus thread starter macrumors 6502

manosaurus

Well it's just that I could also use the video for an external HD.

About the Nike+ system, is it really accurate?

5. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

Get the 30GB and maybe a 2GB nano for running? Or a shuffle?

First time uncalibrated, it was accurate to within 40 meters of a kilometer (4% error). With calibration, very accurate. :)

6. manosaurus thread starter macrumors 6502

manosaurus

Do you think that it has helped your running at all?

7. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

Yeah. My goal is to run the marathon next year, so I'm training for it. The sport kit talks to me. :)

8. manosaurus thread starter macrumors 6502

manosaurus

Oh, neat. I am actually running a marathon in my city on October 22 of this year so wish me luck! I have a 33K training run to do this Saturday :eek: Anway, I just read about the Nike+ kits and I see that you can track your progess via grahs and a whole bunch of things. That would be great. Do you know if I could enter running pre-Nike+ running DATA into the software so I can see my entire history of running?

9. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

Unfortunately you can't. The website syncs up with the Nano and iTunes and uploads the running data to their servers.

10. abeyk macrumors regular

abeyk

the video ipod works great for running, but you need a good case for doing so.

11. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I use my FIRST GENERATION iPod for running and all kinds of things.

*It is the heaviest iPod ever.
    *It is the oldest iPod ever.
    *It has the least skip protection (ever).

Works great and you do not notice the weight of the thing at all. Of course for you particularly scrawny iPod owners then maybe it might, but since I'm a total beefcake it isn't a problem.

12. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

Ha, I've been using my 1st gen lately as well. Took it to Australia (didn't want to lose my 3rd gen), and just haven't bothered picking up the new one since. I love the 1st wheel that actually turned, you can use it with gloves on or even through your jeans' pockets. So much nostalgia factor as well. Holds up fine and has for years, I bought it within a week of launch. I don't know what mad jew was talking about with the HD getting messed up after awhile.

13. f41dh1 macrumors newbie

go buy shuffle/nano for your runs...(I recommend shuffle because it's cheaper and you can put your fav tracks in it so you don't have to skip songs everytime)

and you can buy ipod video to put all your collections in...:D