Anyone uses a retina MBP without an external monitor?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by gdourado, Jun 17, 2013.

1. macrumors 6502

gdourado

Hello, how are you?
    I was wondering if anyone works and edits photography on a standalone 15 inch retina.
    I know that the retina is super-sharp, but the realestate for tools, bars and menus is the same as on a 1440x900 display. Is this enough for photo editing and workflow with Lightroom and photoshop?
    Does the display calibrate well with a spyder 4 for example?

I would really like to hear your experiences.

Cheers!

2. macrumors 68020

You can set a two higher resolutions, with pixel widths of ~1600 and ~1900. That should be plenty real estate for tool bars.

3. macrumors 65816

mackmgg

For me, 1440x900 is enough, but I've always used laptops so I'm used to switching between programs instead of side-by-side. If I really need the space (which does happen from time to time) I just set it to the full 2880x1800 without scaling and sit really close to the computer.

4. macrumors 68040

MCAsan

Only in the field. At home final editing is on a calibrated ATD.

5. macrumors 6502a

Shacklebolt

I do, and for photo editing, I utterly hate it. Love the computer, but the retina display itself has been kind of a bust -- world/internet/software just ain't ready to support it, and pixel doubling is the devil.

6. thread starter macrumors 6502

gdourado

Anyone use the retina MBP in the scaled modes of 1680x1050 or 1920x1200 for photo editing in lightroom and photoshop?
    How does the image look? And the performance?

Cheers!

7. thread starter macrumors 6502

gdourado

I have found this comment on the Apple forums. Is it accurate?

8. fivedots, Jun 19, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2013

macrumors 6502a

Not a retina exclusive problem, but my biggest challenge with editing photos on my 15" rMBP has been brightness. I've calibrated the display, but by default the Spyder doesn't calibrate brightness on a notebook display. Need to find out what brightness setting is accurate and revert to it when editing. The challenge is the contrast varies dramatically with brightness.

As for real estate, I've had no problem with the screen size using both Lightroom and Photoshop. In fact, even though I have 2 24" Dell IPS displays, I rarely hook them up because I ultimately prefer not sitting at my desk. Thinking of selling at least one of them.

Then again, Lightroom could make a 27" display look cramped.

9. macrumors 68020

Technically, it's correct, but the retina resolution is so high that in most circumstances you will not be able to perceive the difference between native and non-native resolutions. In any case, I would still go for the retina model since it will give you a much better experience at viewing as well as editing photos and reading text.

10. macrumors 65816

akdj

My experience has been almost 180º different than Shacklebolt. I've got a pair of NEC monitors @ home for video and photography color grading...and my rMBP is right on the money. They calibrate just fine...and most Adobe CS software has been updated...as have smaller but widely used programs like Pixelmator, etc.

I've actually been impressed with the amount of software and browsers that have been 'updated' in a year's time to support HiDPI monitors. Hopefully Windows 8.1 will address some of their scaling issues...OSx can address multi monitor support in Mavericks...and 2013 will be the year of HiDPI monitors across the board

*I edit photos and video in Alaska for Discovery, Nat Geo and Biography/The Military Channel*

J

11. thread starter macrumors 6502

gdourado

So, between a retina MBP and a Hi-res anti-glare I should go for the retina?
    I was thinking about going for a 15 anti-glare with the 2.7 i7, upgrade the ram to 16gb and upgrade the spinning hdd to a crucial m500 960gb ssd.
    That way I could fit all in the internal drive and have SSD access speeds to all the data. Then just a couple of 1tb usb3 externals for backup.
    With the retina, I would have to rely on external drives to work from.

Cheers!

12. OreoCookie, Jun 19, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2013

macrumors 68020

Yes, go for the retina.

Edit: An upgrade to new Intel CPUs is right around the corner, I'd definitely wait for that.

13. macrumors 6502

go for the retina. I edit in 1680x1050 or 1920x1080 modes all the time. LR looks absolutely perfect.

14. macrumors regular

Although the posts about running at non native resolutions on the Retina display are technically true, I cannot see any blurring or distortion on mine when I bump up the resolution.

Having everything crystal clear at 1440x900 and being able to run comfortably at higher resolutions is like having the best of both worlds.

15. macrumors 68000

I use 1920 mode 100% of the time. It's fantastic. It's not blurry and is super quick.

16. macrumors 65816

inscrewtable

I've just moved from a 27" iMac to a rMBP and I am loving this sharpness. I can sit 13" from the monitor and I usually don't have any panels when I'm editing and even if I do a quick 'tab' and they are gone.

I also do not see any blurriness at all when using 1920. I don't think I could go back to non retina. I was looking at some MBP's yesterday and after the r they look like normal crap PC notebook screens in comparison