Anyone using a Palm Zire 71?

Discussion in 'Community' started by filmcutter, Jul 4, 2003.

1. filmcutter macrumors member

Considering a PDA purchase and wondering if anyone is using a Palm Zire 71. This would be my first PDA and would like to hear some honest feedback about this model as it seems to be the best combo of price, features, performance.

Thanks...

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pr...pviewed=&logon=&langid=EN&dept=19&WLBS=fsweb7

Someone said that the mp3 player isn't loud enough. Its just someone's personal opinion, but you should consider it. Also, you need to purchase an optional expansion card in order to use the mp3 capability of the Zire 71. Dude, that sucks. And don't worry, the prices there are in Canadian dollars. ;)

Oh, and I would never get a PDA with a camera in it. They're a gimmick (when are you ever gonna take pictures with that camera!! At work? At school?), it sucks, and it hikes up the price of the unit. Without the camera, the PDA is probably much cheaper.

This one from Sony:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...32711&type=product&productCategoryId=cat01004

is something I'd consider. It doesn't have a camera, but you can use the mp3 player right out of the box, unlike the Palm Zire 71. Its also $50 cheaper.

3. medea macrumors 68030

medea

it depends on what features you actually need or if it is stuff you just want. If you could use a good pds but don't need color or the camera or mp3 then take a look at the original zire, its a bit cheaper and it works really well. If you are in the market for color, camera etc then go for it.

4. syrreg macrumors newbie

I bought the Zire 71 and I'm using it with OS X. Here are some notes:

-The Address Book and iCal (both the Calendar and To Do List) synchronize perfectly with the Palm.

-Note Pad and Memo Pad synchronize with the Palm Desktop. It would be nice if there were a dedicated OS X product that could use Inkwell to parse the handwritten notes and convert them to text. There's potential there for another iApp if Apple or another developer is savvy.

- VersaMail can be installed to the Zire 71 from OS X but it will not synchronize with Mail.app - Palm didn't provide a conduit. There is a 3rd party solution called "AppleMailConduit" from a developer in Japan but I find that it's a bit flaky, while others seem to be happy with it. Palm wants to know how many users are interested in having them create a conduit; you can scroll to the bottom of this page to express your interest:

http://www.palm.com/us/support/accessories/versamail/versamail_25/index.html

-The Real Audio Mobile player works very well with OS X - just send your MP3 files to the handheld and it will play them back - sounds a lot better through earbuds.

-There is no support for sending AAC files to the Zire 71 for playback. The Audible player is Windows only and requires the Audible Manager software on Windows. The only device Audible supports on the Mac is the iPod. Also, if you are using the iTunes Music Store, there is no way to play back the files you've purchased other than to burn them to a CD and then rip them to MP3's. That's a real drag.

Otherwise, this is the best PDA I've ever had. It's been extremely responsive and reliable.

5. Schiffi macrumors 6502a

Schiffi

I have a Palm m515, which is basically a Zire 71 w/o camera or mp3 playback. It's great.

6. MacManDan macrumors 6502

(I can't see the Sony model because the Best Buy sight is down)

I have a Sony Clie T665c, and I love it. I think they're more solidly built than Palms and match my PowerBook's smooth style better :D

One thing you have to watch out for, is that if you want to Sync the Sony with a Mac you would have to buy 3rd party software ("MissingSync"). Worth it though. It really is! :)