Anyone using a Thumbdrive?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by jeremy.king, Mar 18, 2003.

1. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Hello all again,

I was looking at purchasing a Thumbdrive SMART for the wife because she is constantly transporting files to and from work. She uses a Win2000 PC at work (and its a school for petes sake!) and our beloved Dual 867 at home.

Has anyone out there used the Thumbdrive SMART from Trek on both these platforms? I am looking for user opinions/feedback on the reliability, performance, etc...

I made the bonehead move of buying the Thumbdrive Standard which has NO drivers for OS X and the SMART version claims to be driver free (Win98 being the only exception). See http://www.thumbdrive.com/smart.htm

Please do let me know if you are happy with your Thumbdrive and anything I should look out for. I am also interested if you have used in Windows 2000 too.

Also, if anyone happens to be using a similar product (pen drive, usb drive, etc...), I wouldn't mind hearing your suggestions.

Thanks for your response,

-JK

2. SBG88 macrumors regular

I've never used one but considered buying it as I transfer files needed for work and home.

Instead, for like 50 bucks more I bought a
    WiebeTech micro drive (very small) 20GB and it comes with MacDrive 5, a utility to transfer between different OS's.

Working great for me.

3. yzedf macrumors 65816

yzedf

4. jeremy.king thread starter macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Thanks!

yzedf,

I think that one seems like a good deal! Just what I was looking for.

Thanks,

Jeremy

5. steeleclipse macrumors 6502

I dont have that EXACT drive, but the innards are probably the same (generic chipset). Mine works seamlessly between XP and OS X... if yours doesnt there is a problem, because I have never seen one that is not cross-platform... don't get me wrong: there might be some out there. I just have never seen one