Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

McScooby

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 15, 2005
The Paps of Glenn Close, Scotland.
Long story short, I've found one for sale for £400 / $600, which seems remarkably cheap as has 20TB installed (the price of the drives alone would cost more, even though it doesn't specify type/make) but reviews online are a bit hit/miss as assumes price is a lot more than what I'd pay.
I'm maybe thinking of using it as a JBOD, but again am unsure of how the WD app would work out, advice is appreciated.

PilotWoo

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2006
I've used the single drive MyCloud unit. Was not impressed. I liked the idea of it being "your own personal cloud", but the WD software made performance unusable and unreliable, despite a fast 150Mb home broadband connection. I ended up using it as a home network NAS, to avoid using the WD software, but it was still slow. I would advise you look at QNAP or Synology NAS drives.

I ended up using normal cloud storage services, but with Boxcrypter encrypting all files uploaded, so at least the world can't access my files when they are inevitably hacked into.

McScooby

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 15, 2005
I've used the single drive MyCloud unit. Was not impressed. I liked the idea of it being "your own personal cloud", but the WD software made performance unusable and unreliable, despite a fast 150Mb home broadband connection. I ended up using it as a home network NAS, to avoid using the WD software, but it was still slow. I would advise you look at QNAP or Synology NAS drives.

I ended up using normal cloud storage services, but with Boxcrypter encrypting all files uploaded, so at least the world can't access my files when they are inevitably hacked into.

Yeah, been looking at the synologys, bit of a minefield there though, the PLAY can't be expanded, but has the transcoder chip, but in other reviews for the 5/8-bays, it says the chip's maybe not needed as the dual/quad cores take it in their stride, software appears to be better compared to the qnaps also, think the main stickler is the price, I'm half thinking about getting the WD for the RED drives, then selling the EX4, still can't seem to get my head around £400 for 20TB, the bare bones drives alone cost more, loading up a synology would easily take it over £1k.

Menge

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2008
Amsterdam
I also own the single-drive WD MyCloud unit (4TB) and I do not recommend it. Slow and the software is crap. Even tough it is connected via Gigabit Eth to the network, it feels slower than my old Core i3 server+USB2.0 external HD on 100mbps Eth. Especially when dealing with small files.

My next upgrade will be to a Synology-like system.

McScooby

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 15, 2005
Cheers for the advice guys, the offer on the EX4 has gone, maybe a good thing as I see there are new synologys being announced, DS216 & DS416 Play, hopefully with a price cut, think that's my best option.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.