anyone using fotomagico?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Keebler, Mar 29, 2007.

1. Keebler macrumors 68030

Hi,

i bought this as part of that package offered here a few months ago.
    Boinx has recently released another version, 2.0. and express and pro flavours.

The software itself is easy to use and has some nice features (particularly the pro).

However, i'm wondering if anyone else is trying to export a .mov file for use within final cut pro? when i try the export, it says it will take over 7 hours which is just plain wrong on my g5 dually 2.0 w/ 3.5 gb ram. even motion pictures from roxio only takes about 40 minutes (we're talking slideshows of over 150 pics).

let me know if you've tried exporting. I sent boinx a very detailed post on their support site too, but i like to hear from real life users especially :)

Cheers,
    Keebler

2. snapper82 macrumors newbie

Fotomagico Syncronization Problem

Hi, was just wondering if you were having problems with audio and image synchronization. I'm using the demo of fotomagico 2 and for the life of me I can't get what I see in fotomagico preview on to dvd without the timing being out. Have you experienced this problem at all or know what I can do to fix it?

This problem is a known problem when making slideshows in iphoto and exporting them idvd but I didn't think this would do it.

3. Keebler thread starter macrumors 68030

Hi Snapper,

No, I haven't run into this problem, BUT (and this is a big but), I don't add my audio in FM. I export my slideshow to a .mov, import into final cut pro as my clients usually have specific requests for audio.

do contact their tech support...they've been very helpful.

Cheers,
    Keebler

4. snapper82 macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply. I emailed tech support couple of days ago and they haven't got back to me yet :( I'll try doing it in final cut pro (crosses fingers)

5. Topdevil macrumors newbie

I guess I'm a novice

I'm new to Macs. I bought Fotomagico because I thought it would do what I did with Photoshop 4.0 in windows. I suppose I'm pretty unsophisticated in what I do. I make slide shows for my church for the youth groups and for several other organizations here in town. All I want is to find a program that will let me set up a slideshow, add blank slides with text, add music, and then have the program fit the slides to the music so there's no need to loop or have the music just stop or run out.

I switched because I was having some continuing glitches with exporting to dvd for sharing the shows, and because I had been convinced by friends that I would have no such trouble with a mac. I have had nothing but trouble, and I haven't been able to find a program that would do this on the mac platform.

i tried photoshop 6 for mac and it was nothing like the windows version. It might well do what I want, but I couldn't figure out how, and I got absolutely no response from adobe support.

Does anyone have any ideas? I hope I haven't made an expensive mistake!

6. Keebler thread starter macrumors 68030

Welcome TopDevil.

FM is the program for you. I"m surprised you're having so many issues. I read your post and said, check, check, check for what it will do.

Regarding the timing, I simply calculate how long the song is and then select all the phones (option + A) and then in the slides section of the options tab, retype the duration per slide until i matches.

Cheers,
    keebler

7. DonnaMarilyn macrumors newbie

Fototomagico: How to change viewing size?

I've just been testing a demo version. More than once, I've clicked on the wrong arrow, the one that shows the slideshow full-screen, and can't get the slideshow to go back to viewing size so that I can work on the timeline.

Can anyone advise?

Thanks!

Donna

8. wilsonlaidlaw, May 21, 2011
    Last edited: May 21, 2011

wilsonlaidlaw macrumors 6502

wilsonlaidlaw

Afraid I'm not a fan of FotoMagico

There is not a big choice of slide show programs for Mac and the ones I have looked at are not very good. None of them are anything like as good as AV Stumpfl's Wings program for Windoze (although they have vastly over-complicated it in recent versions) or ProShow Gold. Wings provides a visual time line of slides, transitions and music, which you can drag around as you wish in order to get perfect timings for music and transitions. FotoMagico sounds from their publicity that it will provide just this functionality but somehow, it is neither particularly easy to use or intuitive. As each major iteration of the program comes out, I look at it again (currently V3.6), hoping that I will say to myself: "Now they have got it right" but not so far. I still keep hoping that one day.......

9. Keebler thread starter macrumors 68030

Hi Donna,

Press Esc on your keyboard.

Cheers,
    Keebler

10. Keebler thread starter macrumors 68030

I agree - nothing like ProShow Gold. FX came out with what looks to be a solid sshow plugin for final cut, but #1, you need FCP and #2, not sure if that plugin will work with the new forthcoming FCX.

Another aspect is slideshows in general - what is their future? Animoto has some great options for the pro user, although not perfect. Plenty of consumer apps are out there for the avg user to start making their own. How fancy should a sshow get (and really, do you need a fancy program to make them work)? ie. simple pan and scans are far better for letting the pictures speak for themselves.

What we need is a plug-in for FCP similar to Animoto. Now that would be sweet.

Cheers,
    Keebler

11. DonnaMarilyn macrumors newbie

Wilson and Keebler, thanks for your responses.

Keebler, pressing Escape didn't work. I'd tried it, along with every other thing I could think of. :p

Donna

12. leandrohiroshi macrumors newbie

Hello people.

I've been using FotoMagico for a while and I really liked it, but something happened yesterday.
    I was saving my slide and a window pop up saying that my slide was locked and if I wanted to overwrite anyway. I clicked "overwrite", then another window pop up saying "The '****.fms' coudn't be opened because there's no such file. Anyone had a smilar problem?

13. wilsonlaidlaw macrumors 6502

wilsonlaidlaw

Repair file permissions - I suspect this is your problem.

14. leandrohiroshi macrumors newbie

wilsonlaidlaw

Thanks for the suggestion, but I've already did that and I still can't save my projects.
    I unistalled FotoMagico too, nothing different happened.

I'm considering erase my Mac...T.T