Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
i've got each of ProTools LE 5.x, Digital Performer 2.x and Emagic Logic Platinum 4.8.1 on os9. my h/w is a digi001 hooked up to a dual 500 g4.

for some reason, logic no longer talks to my digi. and frankly, i never got the hang of that program anyway.

i use proTools almost exclusively, but am annoyed at the lack of included plug-ins and their insistence on sticking w/ RTAS.

i'm ready to move one of those 3 programs to osx. since DP is already there, i'm wondering if anyone's been using it and what you think; i'm mostly concerned about bugginess wrt the new Audio Core, etc.

1. does it feel fast enough?
2. is the midi and audio timing correct?
3. what h/w are you using w/ it? (looks like digi001 ain't supported yet)
4. any thoughts on how life is w/o FreeMidi and OMS?
5. think you'll stick w/ DP?
6. any overall problems w/ osx & DP?

mucho thanks for any feedback.

oh -- now that i think of it -- if anyone's using Logic on OSX, i'm also interested in that feedback. and have they done anything between v. 4 and 6 to make the thing easier to use? i had more trouble w/ that program...

daveg5

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2001
i use vst 5.1 and logic in os9.
In osx i use cubase sl/sx, it is not as deep as logic but very easy to learn and well laid out. and works great with vst plug fx and instruments carbon or osx that is, also works with reason using rewire. of the top 3 logic, cubase, dp i like this the best best looking and gui too. just 1 thing make sure your sound card is compatable and bug free and midi box also. i am reduced to using built in audio as my audiowerk2 card with osx driver have noise and distortion, my yamaha dsp factory drivers are a few more months away, and my maudio rev 7.1 card will not iput audio yet. so i use os9 for audio more and use osx for learning till better drivers come out, i find that 9.2.2 is just as stable. sl/sx is easy on the eyes and a pleasure to work with esp. midi. i use griffin serial driver on a old midi box seems to have better timing then the usb box i have. i also would like to know about dp4.
basically i find down sides. fewer plugins, beta and buggy drivers, slower performance and scrolling and window redraws in osx.
but upsides equal stability, cleaner look, easier gui, easier midi recording and efx, better file management,
definately check forums at. http://www.osxaudio.com , http://www.cubase.net.com and others before you make that jump as there are no osx demos for cubase sl/sx, logic 6 osx, motu dp4, just metro and deck 3.5
this is unexcussable as how are you gonna know what to buy if you cant try a track limited version first.
I also hate using a usb key, if you loose yours or if it is stolen or broke or malfunctions, you are screwed and your client, and will be charged a arm and a leg for a new one plus the wait involed. go back to serial numbers please.
all in all osx audio is still maturing, lot of things announced, i think it will be the audio os in the next year or two. faster if bug free driver support for sound cards and midi come out quicker along with demo versions of the top 3

andrewlandry

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2002
NYC
i use logic is os x with the emi 6/2m. it works great for me. software monitoring w/effects and no noticable latency. the only thing that would make me consider digital performer or cubase sx is plugin support. logic is sticking w/audio units only, but some plugins like auto tune only have vst2 versions so far. that said, there is a vst wrapper that's supposed to work well. one of the main reasons i went with logic is because of the great quality included plugins. high quality effects and virtual instruments are included. also, i was used to logic in os9 and don't really feel like learning another sequencer in depth. performance seems good to me so far. i've had no problems on my dual gig. what sequencer you like is up to you, but i can report that logic does what it's supposed to do.

springscansing

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2002
New York
I use Cubase SX myself. It's very good for midi-centric stuff I think... well pretty good anyway. Eh.. I donno. I own it because the upgrade was 150 bucks and Logic and DP were a lot pricier. heh

It's not bad though, check it out.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
Originally posted by springscansing
I use Cubase SX myself. [snip] check it out.

errrrr... i've already spent money on DP, Logic and PT LE. since i've got upgrade paths open to me for any or all, i think i'll stay w/ one of them.

because of its AU support and (what i hear) superior softsynth integration, it's looking like Logic. that may be surprising considering my first post, but i've done a lot of thinking/research today.

all would be PERFECT if i could just figure out the damned program!

daveg5

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2001
Good Luck

Good luck with Logic, I just did a song today with Logic in OS(, its great to use vst fx and instruments along with logics, you did whatwe all will do . read the reviews forums, ask questions and look at your needs. i chose cubase for a diiff set of reason first being only a$99 upgrade, second being a large selection of vst plugins, cubase has promised audio units support later, no rush cause of my vst colection but mostly cause i know my way around it and in os9 it was the only pro daw that had complete support for my yamaha dspfactory card with the built in fx, eq, compression, mixer all with no cpu drain and from my experience much easier to set up and get right at it esp with midi, that said i use logic almost just as much find it much more complicated but deeper i am setting up a friend computer , he has the roland studio pack with the vm3100 pro mixer nice setup and control suface(yamaha has the O1X, tascam has the Fw1884, protools has the digi002) I will probably get one of these firewire/pci soundcard/control serface, motorized fade things next year, the roland SI24 looks the best, but does not have OSX support yet, but it still works, i have used the vm3100 succefully with deck 3.5 in osx however had distortion when using mic same with cubase and pci bandwith is 133MBS compared to firewires 40MBs. anyway you could not go wrong with any of them, I am still curious about dp4, any dp4 users outthere, let us know.
i guess this is pointless now, but here is a site that has tutorial videos for cubase sx and motu dp4 online at no cost, i could not find logic 6 though
let us know how it goes with logic 6
see ya peace
http://www.macaudiolab.com/ for free sx and dp4 videos

alset

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2002
East Bay, CA
Originally posted by zimv20
i ordered Logic Platinum for OSX today (v6).

Congrats. Logic is one of the strongest DAW apps in the industry. It's really designed to work for you, instead of the other way around. The flexibility is incredible.

I have a fantastic Logic FAQ that one of my instructors gave me. I don't know where he downloaded it, but if you'd like a copy you can always PM me.

Dan

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.