Anyone Using the Dell 2005FPW

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Scarpad, Feb 12, 2005.

1. Scarpad macrumors 68000

Scarpad

Widescreen Display with their Mini ? I took the plunge todAY THEY HAD IT SHIPPED FOR $599. I had bought a Vewsonic 19" CRT and it looked great for the PC but not so hot for the Mini. I'm hoping the DVI makes a difference.

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I'm not using it with a Mini, but I am using it (with an iMac G5) and it's a GREAT screen, and a fantastic buy!

3. AnewMac macrumors regular

A little off topic, how does it handle games (if you play them), Unreal, SimCity 4, WoW. Any review would be appreciated. :)

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Sorry, don't play games :eek:

There's quite a few people here that do have them though, maybe one of them can help more...

5. AnewMac macrumors regular

Ever hear the adage, all work and no play makes Johnny a dull boy? :D

j/k, the extra real estate would be nice in photoshop however.

6. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

It's a great screen

I've just bought a Dell 2005WFP and I gotta say that I agree with edesignuk - it's a GREAT screen, and once calibrated correctly is very much in the same league as the Apple 20". I paid £472 - around £230 cheaper than the Apple Cinema display - you really can't beat that with a stick.

For the poster who asked about games - you won't be disappointed. I had a quick blast of Q3 Urban Terror earlier and I really couldn't discern any lag whatsoever (unlike the Apple 17" TFT I used to have).

:D

7. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Not only much cheaper, but just as good, has 4 inputs (Apple has 1), and "Warranty : 3 year next busness day exchange" vs Apples pathetic 1 year.

I can't see any reason to pay more for less of a screen, and less cover to Apple.

8. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

You sure said a mouthful. AMEN!!!! =]

All I need now is a Mac Mini so's I can make use of the VGA port too ;-)

9. debroglie macrumors 6502a

debroglie

I have another related question. How are the other inputs? I am considering buying one, but I want to know how it will look if I hook my xbox right up to it. Can I hook my cable TV right up to it?

10. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Anything that can output to one of these should work a treat :)

11. debroglie macrumors 6502a

debroglie

Will the xbox's s-video look decent on it though? Will it perform comparable to a TV? Someone must have experience with this.

12. Scarpad thread starter macrumors 68000

Scarpad

I just bought the 2005 I agree it's a great monitor I'd be interested in hearing what tweaks/adjustments you guys made. I've temporarily hooked my Xbox to composite until My Vidigi VGA Box arrives. It's playable but that's about all I can say. Svideo would probablybe slightly better. Thats what the 24" has over the 2005 the built in component. But just how much you need a bigger display because you can pickup the Vdigi box for $65. I hope to hook my PS2 to Svidoe, we'll see. Here's a Pic:

[​IMG]

13. jadam macrumors 6502a

jadam

I hear that it has very bad backlight issues.

14. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Well mine is perfect, and if at anytime in the next 3 years it isn't. I get a replacement :D

15. debroglie macrumors 6502a

debroglie

It is 561.75 shipped for awhile now. If only I had the money!

The code is:40F961WD2MTG0K

It only works in the Home section, and only on the 2005FPW

16. jadam macrumors 6502a

jadam

Try displaying a completely black image, and take a picture for us. Check to see if the backlight bleeds or not.

17. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Nah. Some very early samples had some backlight issues, but it's been rather over-hyped (just as the display defects with the Aluminium Cinema display were...). Currently shipping models should be fine. Certainly, mine's exactly as it should be.

18. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

I'd point out that EVERY LCD screen on the market - including Apple's - has backlight bleed to some small degree. It's inherent in the technology. Early samples of the Dell 2005 had a consistency/QA issue caused by the way the panel fits into the housing. Current models should not have this problem - certainly mine has no more backlight bleed than my old Apple 17" Studio Display had (actually a little less), and it compares favorably with samples of the current Cinema Display that I've seen.

19. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

The only real tweak I did was to calibrate it correctly (via system prefs/Displays/Color). The default settings are way too bright and a little too warm.

I've not tried the composite/s-video inputs, so can't comment there (my X-box stays connected to my 50" projection TV :p :D )

20. rchang713 macrumors newbie

The video quality using the composite or S-Video is really bad. I had my gamecube hooked up for a while but I couldn't stand the jagged, fuzzy image (using composite or s-video). It did improve a little if I turned off the strech image to screen setting and used the 4:3 ratio setting which left black bars on the sides while playing my gamecube. I've heard good things about using the VDigi VD-Z3 vga transcoder with this monitor. The box is about $60 bucks, but if you use it you can play your xbox using the HDTV widescreen progressive scan mode and the box will convert the signal to VGA. It also has a switch so you can still have your PC/Mac plugged into the vga connection. In fact you can use this box to convert any component video (DVD player, HDTV box, etc) to vga. I'm planning on getting one and the optional sound bar for the 2005FPW. Look on ebay, you can find a sound bar (speakers that attach to the bottom of the monitor) for about $15. Not many gamecube games support widescreen mode, so I'm holding off on getting one for a little while, but I think most xbox games support widescreen progressive scan. And even if you use the box just to convert standard def to vga, the quality is supposed to be much better than using the crappy s-video or composite inputs.

21. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

The problem is that when using a source signal that is no where near the native resolution of the screen (games consoles output is very low, I think the GC is 640x480), it's always going to look bad. No matter what the screen.

22. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I have the 2001FP and it is great. And now Dell has the 2405FPW for those that have a little extra money.

23. debroglie macrumors 6502a

debroglie

Thank you, that is what I wanted to know. I think I'll wait until this summer to buy one, then. If you get that converter, please let us know how well it works.

24. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Scarpad you have a really messy desk ;)

Hide those cables man!!

25. rchang713 macrumors newbie

I'm going to have to disagree slighty. When using the VGA input at 800x600 or even 640x480 the image quality is ok. Of course because it's not native the image is a little fuzzy, but I doesn't have that jagged, interlaced look of using the video inputs. I played some games on my PC at 640x480 and the stretched and unstretched images were much better than using s-video. I'd definitely have to say that the image scaling on the 2005fpw is much better when using vga (probably mostly due to the signal being progressive scan). This gives me hope that using the converter box I mentioned will make my GC playable. Also, the Xbox supports HDTV resolutions (720p or 1080i depending on the game) so that's going to make a huge difference as well.