Anyone using the iphone 5 on T-Mobile's Unlimited 4G network? IF so How do u like it?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PacificBeach, Oct 7, 2012.

1. macrumors regular

Anyone using the iphone 5 on T-Mobile's Unlimited 4G network? IF so How do u like it?

2. macrumors 68020

AppleFanatic10

I don't think that you can use the iPhone 5 with T-Mobile's 4G.. I think it can only be used with T-Mobile's 3G service.

3. macrumors 65816

I'm also curious to know the results.

4. macrumors 6502a

You can use the iPhone 5 on TMO's HSPA+ network, where available. Speeds at around 7-8 megs.

5. macrumors regular

wrong. if you have the AT&T iPhone 5 unlocked, you can use the 4G LTE when its available next year. Verizon iPhone 5 won't support it due to the different bands.

6. macrumors 65816

bpeeps

Next year does not equal now.

7. macrumors 6502

HSPA+ is considered 4G. Speeds can reach up to around 20mbps on an iPhone 5 in areas where T-Mobile has refarmed their towers for the iPhone.

8. macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

I think here in Chicago, theres only one little sliver that has the tmo 1900 turned on.

And no mms is a big turn off.

9. macrumors 6502a

Minhimalism

Doesn't MMS work once you set the right APN settings and stuff? I never manually set it anymore I just restore from my jailbroken backup which sets the MMS up just right but I swore the old method still worked as well..

10. macrumors regular

4G works now in some areas, LTE next year.

11. macrumors newbie

im planning to take my 4S to tmobile in the next few days.. At & T throttling is ubearable

12. macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

Well, you see, jailbreak is the key. Everything else gets set up without needing to jb, except for mms.

Not only can you not jb it right now, a lot of people just dont want to jb.

13. macrumors G3

mattopotamus

good to know, thanks. I let my brother-in-law have my old 4S and he is using it on t-mobile. We could not figure out why his mms is not working.

14. iAi
    macrumors 6502

Would T-Mobile LTE works on an Unlock AT&T iPhone 5?

Would T-Mobile LTE works for sure on an unlock AT&T iP5? Anyone trying this now? T-Mo has zero LTE as of now?

15. macrumors 6502a

Minhimalism

There is a way to get it working but it requires messing with a restore file, if he doesn't mind setting the phone up again.

----------

It will presumably next year once the refarms are complete.

16. macrumors 6502a

I unlocked a 4 over the weekend and MMS is working great on Tmobile without a jailbreak.

17. macrumors 6502a

I can only speak for my area ... Atlanta northern suburbs and nothing over edge yet on the iPhone 5. Guy in store said maybe beginning of the year. Fingers crossed would be happy with 3G at this point.

18. macrumors regular

Pictures still send through iMessage, KiK, email, etc...

If you have somebody that you are trying to exchange pictures with, just use a different medium.

I can't wait for the 1900 MHz PCS re-farm in my area. The day it happens, I will be putting a T-mobile nano-sim (they have those in stores now) into my iPhone 5.

19. macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

Sharing is caring then. You see there is another member above you that couldn't get it to work, so why not help him out instead?

----------

This is very cool here: http://leimobile.com/tag/iphone-mms-fix/

no jailbreak required! This will help a ton of people i know wanting to go with tmobile or the better choice StraightTalk!

@ Minhimalism - thanks for the heads up

20. macrumors 6502a

yeah

But it will when T-Mobile purchases MetroPCS and they will have LTE already setup (Metro has LTE on the 1700 MHz AWS band, which is the same as T-Mobile, and can be supported by the iPhone :cool:).

21. macrumors 6502

Was this an unlocked phone iPhone 4 purchased direct from Apple? So what did you have to do to make the MMS work?

22. macrumors 6502a

It's an AT&T iPhone 4 16GB unlocked using the method all over ebay where you send them your IMEI.

I used these settings:

http://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-2383

23. macrumors member

Bruins Fan

TMO "4G" isn't bad. Here in the Boston area I usually see speeds of 1MB - 6-7MB problem is when you're not "4G" (3G), you drop to 2G which is almost unusable on my HTC Sensation. My wife and kid will be staying with TMO (on contract), and I'm waiting for my pre-ordered Verizon iPhone 5. Eager to try the VZW LTE network.

24. macrumors 6502

I have been following the discussions for iPhone on T-mobile. I have not seen issues with Apple factory unlocked iPhones. If you do find this gives a problem in the near future, please update this thread.
    thanks.