Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PacificBeach

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 20, 2011
Anyone using the iphone 5 on T-Mobile's Unlimited 4G network? IF so How do u like it?

krnboy503

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2008
I don't think that you can use the iPhone 5 with T-Mobile's 4G.. I think it can only be used with T-Mobile's 3G service.

wrong. if you have the AT&T iPhone 5 unlocked, you can use the 4G LTE when its available next year. Verizon iPhone 5 won't support it due to the different bands.

aphexacid

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
Chicago
I think here in Chicago, theres only one little sliver that has the tmo 1900 turned on.

And no mms is a big turn off.

Minhimalism

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2012
Texas
I think here in Chicago, theres only one little sliver that has the tmo 1900 turned on.

And no mms is a big turn off.

Doesn't MMS work once you set the right APN settings and stuff? I never manually set it anymore I just restore from my jailbroken backup which sets the MMS up just right but I swore the old method still worked as well..

aphexacid

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
Chicago
Doesn't MMS work once you set the right APN settings and stuff? I never manually set it anymore I just restore from my jailbroken backup which sets the MMS up just right but I swore the old method still worked as well..

Well, you see, jailbreak is the key. Everything else gets set up without needing to jb, except for mms.

Not only can you not jb it right now, a lot of people just dont want to jb.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Well, you see, jailbreak is the key. Everything else gets set up without needing to jb, except for mms.

good to know, thanks. I let my brother-in-law have my old 4S and he is using it on t-mobile. We could not figure out why his mms is not working.

iAi

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2012
Would T-Mobile LTE works on an Unlock AT&T iPhone 5?

Would T-Mobile LTE works for sure on an unlock AT&T iP5? Anyone trying this now? T-Mo has zero LTE as of now?

Minhimalism

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2012
Texas
good to know, thanks. I let my brother-in-law have my old 4S and he is using it on t-mobile. We could not figure out why his mms is not working.

There is a way to get it working but it requires messing with a restore file, if he doesn't mind setting the phone up again.

----------

Would T-Mobile LTE works for sure on an unlock AT&T iP5? Anyone trying this now? T-Mo has zero LTE as of now?

It will presumably next year once the refarms are complete.

KoukiFC3S

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2010

I unlocked a 4 over the weekend and MMS is working great on Tmobile without a jailbreak.

JodyK

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2010
Northern Atlanta suburbs
I can only speak for my area ... Atlanta northern suburbs and nothing over edge yet on the iPhone 5. Guy in store said maybe beginning of the year. Fingers crossed would be happy with 3G at this point.

articulatefool

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2012
Pictures still send through iMessage, KiK, email, etc...

If you have somebody that you are trying to exchange pictures with, just use a different medium.

I can't wait for the 1900 MHz PCS re-farm in my area. The day it happens, I will be putting a T-mobile nano-sim (they have those in stores now) into my iPhone 5.

aphexacid

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
Chicago
I unlocked a 4 over the weekend and MMS is working great on Tmobile without a jailbreak.

Sharing is caring then. You see there is another member above you that couldn't get it to work, so why not help him out instead?

----------

This is very cool here: http://leimobile.com/tag/iphone-mms-fix/

no jailbreak required! This will help a ton of people i know wanting to go with tmobile or the better choice StraightTalk!

@ Minhimalism - thanks for the heads up

yeah

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
Next year does not equal now.

But it will when T-Mobile purchases MetroPCS and they will have LTE already setup (Metro has LTE on the 1700 MHz AWS band, which is the same as T-Mobile, and can be supported by the iPhone :cool:).

Bruins Fan

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2012
Boston, MA
Anyone using the iphone 5 on T-Mobile's Unlimited 4G network? IF so How do u like it?

TMO "4G" isn't bad. Here in the Boston area I usually see speeds of 1MB - 6-7MB problem is when you're not "4G" (3G), you drop to 2G which is almost unusable on my HTC Sensation. My wife and kid will be staying with TMO (on contract), and I'm waiting for my pre-ordered Verizon iPhone 5. Eager to try the VZW LTE network.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.