Anyone using the new DVD-RW Discs?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by maxvamp, Aug 15, 2004.

1. maxvamp macrumors 6502a

maxvamp

I am once again looking for blank media, and I have seen some discrepancies that concern me.

Cases in point;

1. Verbatim has two types of DVD-RW media for sale. One is rated for 1x-2x, and the other is 2x-4x.

2. The Ritek 4x DVD-RW is getting horrible ratings on Amazon, mostly from people with Pioneer A03 -> A05 burners.

My question is:

Has anyone with a Superdrive models A03 -> A06 tried any of the newer 4x DVD-RW media, and what has been your experience?

Max.

2. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

it depends on the speed of your burner. if the burner is capable of handling the speed of the media, it will burn at the rated speed. if you burn too fast (say 8x on a 4x disc) you will ruin the disc. if you have media rated higher than your burn speed, you will burn at the highest possible speed of your burner (1x or 2x on 4x media will only be 1x or 2x respectively).

my burner (A03?) in my QS is only a 2x or maybe even 1x i believe, although there was a firmware upgrade to make it capable of "handling" 4x media (not at 4x speeds). so in response to your question, their media has worked fine for me but it's not any better than their competitors.

i want to know who has used the new dual layer discs?

3. quackattack macrumors 6502a

quackattack

But you need a dual layer burner don't you? I'm guessing a superdrive won't cut it.

4. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    i dont think any of the current superdrives are dual burners; maybe in the next revisions :)

5. maxvamp thread starter macrumors 6502a

maxvamp

The A03 was ( or at least mine is ) a 2x(-R) / 1x (-RW ).

The problems I have seen is that the A03 will burn coasters to 4x Media, and spotty 1x burns on the A04 and A05 ( which should burn at 2x on -RW media ).

Just wanted confirmation of these results.

BTW, The new Pioneer A08 should work in place of the older drives, and it is a DL drive.

Max.

6. maxvamp thread starter macrumors 6502a

maxvamp

REALLY BAD NEWS!!!

I found this buried here

You will toast your not so old superdrive if you try to use 8x -R media or 4x -RW ( and some 2x -RW ( 1.2 version standard )) !!.

Can't believe the DVD forum were such idiots (again) !!! :eek: :mad: