Anyone using their LCD for watching movies & TV?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Viridiana, Aug 3, 2004.

1. Viridiana macrumors newbie

Viridiana

hi,
    I'd love to finally consign my mammoth TV box to the dustbin of history...and it would be swell to get both work and play use out of a LCD replacement. Is there a way to buy a regular LCD monitor and hook it up to my VCR/DVD and also watch TV (I guess I need some kind of tuner/converter box)? And will movies get distorted on the LCD if the screen ratio isn't made for movies?
    Thanks mucho in advance.
    v-

2. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

If you plan on hooking up an Apple display stand alone, without a computer, you will need something like this:

http://www.dvdo.com/pro/pro_ishd.html

I called and confirmed that this should work with the new ALU displays, and possibly the old displays with a ADC to DVI adapter.

3. fowler. macrumors 6502a

fowler.

Along the same lines, I'm thinking of getting EyeTV 200, anyone have any experience with that? How it looks at full screen and so on. I think it'd be pretty nice to get an extra 17" monitor for that sorta thing..

4. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

ive been wanting a similar set up. i often watch DVDs through my PB (to an external monitor) and have looked into devices such as the EYE TV 200. i would get one (there are a number of devices from different brands) except they are a bit expensive for me (around $350 + or - $50) I know they are completely worthless if they are USB only get firewire ones. the only problem is when watching TV or an external devices (such as a VCR) there is a couple second delay. . . which is fine if you are only watching tv or such. . . but you cant plug your PS2 (or any game system) in cause the video output will be a couple seconds behind the input of your controler and thus you will never be able to play a video game. i havent heard of one with 0 latency (no time delay) though i am sure there are high end video input devices (thousands of dollars) that would get the job done b/c they are designed for high quality porfesional use. but yeah, i would be willing to try one out for you if you would like to buy it for me :)

5. neut macrumors 68000

neut

I use my 17"PB for that all the time... :D

peace.

6. fowler. macrumors 6502a

fowler.

Yeah, I read the same thing about the Xbox deal. I rarely use mine for games, mostly dvd watching. My computer can fill that niche just fine. I just think it would be a cool service, but almost a little bit of a waste if you don't have cable (which I won't when I move back to my apt. in a month). But the reception is just fine.. so I dunno. I'm gonna have to think about things coming up :)