Anyone waiting for Adobe CS3 before they buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Blue Velvet, Jan 24, 2007.

  1. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2004
    #1
    There's this idea going around that there is a certain amount of pent-up demand amongst many people for Macs, particularly at the high-end, who are waiting for the release of Adobe's Creative Suite 3 as a Universal application before they buy.

    I'm not, but are you?

    And if so, what are you hoping to get? And for who? Yourself or the company or organisation?
     
  2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2002
    Location:
    Gone but not forgotten.
    #2
    I've been waiting to get a premium CS release but I've not been happy hearing the complaints of poor performance.

    I'm hoping that this is the one and that my Photoshop version 7 will still allow me to upgrade for the same price as later versions.
     
  3. Reach macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2006
    Location:
    Norway
    #3
    I'm waiting to buy the CS3 itself.. I already have a MBP, so I won't buy a Creative Suite that doesn't really run well on it..
     
  4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

    robbieduncan

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2002
    Location:
    London
    #4
    Basically the position I am in too. I am trying to scoop a cheap second hand version of Photoshop on eBay to get a lower cost upgrade though...
     
  5. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2004
    #5
    I meant 'waiting for CS3 until you buy a new Mac'. :D
     
  6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

    robbieduncan

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2002
    Location:
    London
    #6
    Well I am intending to buy a Mac Pro later in the year but I'd have to admit that CS3 is not the reason for waiting, rather I think the current machines are a bit long in the tooth and ripe for an upgrade.

    And I'm doing a lot of work in the flat and I'd rather wait till the new machine does not get filled with dust instantly!
     
  7. Reach macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2006
    Location:
    Norway
    #7
    I know, just saying that it's the other way around for me. ;) Well, I have a Dual 2,5ghz G5 too, that I definately won't trade for a Mac Pro until CS3 comes, so I guess it's a dual relationship for me.
     
  8. munckee macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Oct 27, 2005
    #8
    This is me, basically. CS is the day-in and day-out use of my machine. Given that I already have a maxed out 1.5 Powerbook which is still pretty reasonable for the moment, I don't see much need to upgrade until I get get the most out of a new machine possible. That means CS3.

    I figure this way I get the most up to date machine possible and maybe leopard to boot. I may also wait a month or two after CS3 is out though to let them work out any bugs.

    I'm also starting a post-grad certificate in motion graphics, which may change my overall needs for a new machine as well. I'll probably be looking at either a MBP or a Mac Pro.
     
  9. Ish macrumors 68000

    Ish

    Joined:
    Nov 30, 2004
    Location:
    UK
    #9
    No, I'm happy with my PB at the moment. Doesn't mean I wouldn't like a MBP but no real reason to change. I'm still using InDesignCS and PhotoshopCS at the moment so I won't bother with CS2 at all. Buying a MBP will be a separate decision from CS3.
     
  10. djellison macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Feb 2, 2007
    Location:
    Pasadena CA
    #10
    I would say that yes, release of universal apps from Macrodobe are a contributing factor to my holding off on the big switch

    Doug
     
  11. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

    xfiftyfour

    Joined:
    Apr 14, 2006
    Location:
    Clemson, SC
    #11
    I didn't wait for CS3 before going intel, but that's only because such great deals fell into my lap that I just couldn't say no to.

    I've been working quite a few design jobs on the side lately, though (it's nice having design-illiterate landlords who want to trade rent for a couple of brochures..heh), and I must say: I can't wait for CS3 now, after having to multi-task with CS2. I ran out of my 1.25GB of RAM quick!
     
  12. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

    irishgrizzly

    Joined:
    May 15, 2006
    #12
    Yep, I'm going to wait for both Leopard and CS3 before I buy my Mac Pro. My G4 does me fine for now but I'll need to upgrade it sometime this year.

    Alot of people I know that work in graphics are waiting for CS3 to buy an intel mac, because they've heard that CS2 is no faster then a well speced G5. If I ask them about Leopard they would not even know about when it's rumored to be due out.
     
  13. ezzie macrumors 68020

    ezzie

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2006
    Location:
    Baltimore, MD
    #13
    i'm waiting...

    i'll continue holding off for a good while...here's my story:

    i have a MBP that was purchased by my place of work for me, the sole designer/photographer at the company. i also use a dell that they purchased when i started here, since no one bothered to ask me what would work better for graphics.

    i cannot stand to run CS2 on the dell...it pains me. it's slow, crashy, and just generally a joke. also, we all know CS2 through rosetta leaves something to be desired, so when CS3 is released, i'll pester work to upgrade me. i'm going to see if they'll ditch the dell and think about a mac desktop...then when they purchase CS3, i plan to install it on the new mac and the MBP. that's the work situation. :)

    at home, i use the MBP and my husband uses an iBook G4, but we miss having a desktop machine. by late summer, my husband will be a student again, so we'll purchase an iMac and CS3 with his student discounts. we will not purchase the iMac until CS3 is ready to go, and i've made sure it performs as well as it should.

    with that said, i can't wait for late summer! :D
     

Share This Page