Anyone watching the snooker?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Lau, May 1, 2006.

1. Lau Guest

It's quite exciting....:)

As I post this it's Ebdon 11 - Dott 15...oooh....

I don't claim to be an expert or anything, but I can play and do quite enjoy watching it. :)

Reminds me of sitting with my dad in the 80s watching it on a black and white telly. "I thought he had to hit the pink next." "That was the pink." "Oh". :p

2. UKnjb macrumors 6502a

UKnjb

It's on in the background and I'm sort of keeping a watching brief on it, but I am having a load more fun hacking around MR. Sad, isn't it? Me, I'm hoping that Ebden does it again - he's done brilliantly since the last session. Do you think that watching paint dry is marginally more exciting? :)

3. Lau thread starter Guest

Ooh, Ebdon made a right arse of that one.

Ooooooh, and so did Dott!

Ooooh and Ebdon got it! Nice one, my son.

Blimey.

Anyway....yeah, i have a fondness for Ebdon after watching him whip that nob-end Hendry into shape a few years back. So go Ebdon!

For some strange reason, I find snooker infinitely more exciting than most other sports. I may be a weirdo though. :p

4. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

No, I'm doing exactly the same. :p

Depending on my mood (and who's playing), I either find snooker painfully dull or incredibly enthralling. I tend to get a bit more excited by the darts, though.

5. UKnjb macrumors 6502a

UKnjb

Blimey, yup!!!!!! :)

Nob-end Hendry???? Crikey - a bit harsh. But I know what you mean.

Um - er - um ---- compared to rugby? ice-hockey? synchronised knitting or swimming??? Weird indeed!! :D

Oh no!!!!! What company am I mixing with now?? Help! :D

6. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Fat men wearing colourful shirts and throwing pointy bits of metal? You can't beat it. ;)

7. UKnjb macrumors 6502a

UKnjb

*very soft creepy voice*
    And as Ebdon edges ever nearer to victory, Dott must be wondering if he will --- zzzzzzzzzz --- yaaaawwwnnnn.

Hey, Lau, are you biting your fingers down to the knuckles? Is this real enough excitement? :)

And as for fat (pi$$ed) men in pink shirts ------ :eek:

8. Lau thread starter Guest

Oh, he's awful. Even as a kid I thought he was an arrogant arse. Many years later, a mate of mine served him in a bar, and it turns out he drinks lager shandies. :p Which amuses me no end.

Yeah, pretty much. :p

Well, when you put it like that....:D

edited for wrong plural of "shandies"....

9. Lau thread starter Guest

Good lord man, this is gripping stuff :D - I'm going to stay up for the end of this...

10. UKnjb macrumors 6502a

UKnjb

For real excitement, you should try going onto another thread. Real rocking and rolling in the aisles over there! :)

Bit of a recovery by Mr Dott, though.

I want to see how the artist mannie is going to finish the painting that he has been banging off during the past few days.

11. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I was watching it but I've turned over for some very low brow humour on BBC 3 (2 Pints)...

If the snooker is still on at midnight I might well change back to get the end...

12. UKnjb macrumors 6502a

UKnjb

And the snooker is --- what?
    Why turn over??? We can tell you the results, instantly! You could water the plants or, heaven forbid, go to bed! :)

13. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I've always had a slight psychological problem about watching the snooker since it bugs me that all those players played truant from school as teenage degenerates to hand around dodgy snooker halls in order to get good enough to turn pro... and make millions. While those of us who slogged... don't.

Don't like Ebdon... not sure why but no idea who the other guy is. But it does make me laugh that one of the criticisms of most US sport is that it takes too long when BBC2 will happily give over an evening's viewing slot to a single game of snooker.

14. Lau thread starter Guest

But it's tradition! Or something. :p

Funnily enough, the reason I know how to play is that my dad used to bunk off school and hang around the snooker halls....

15. UKnjb macrumors 6502a

UKnjb

Hey! It's Applespider come to play!! :) Now that the umpteen Mb file has been succesfully transferred (I was going to offer to pick it up and personally take it to your Mum, but --- well, you know how it is, the snooker and everything and you were getting sooooo much help from others) here you are on the snooker halls.
    Sorry you're not making millions from your slog - really. I do know how it is. And as for the Beeb giving an evening's viewing time, this has been going on for -- phew! --- seems like forever. Cheap broadcasting, though. Got to think of the licence payers. :D

16. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I actually really enjoy playing snooker and pool. I'm so bad at it that I really get my money's worth when you're playing by game rather than by time. :D

17. Lau thread starter Guest

We so have to have a game sometime. Would be most fun.

18. UKnjb macrumors 6502a

UKnjb

Er --- your dad used to bunk off school (=truant), Applespider says that snooker players bunked off school and became millionaires --- erm --- does your dad have big boats and many houses etc? Cause and effect?

19. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

always liked ebdon, dont know why, probably because i have a good teacher who looks like him.

20. Lau thread starter Guest

Unfortunately, my dad evidently didn't have the staying power to continue to bunk off school in order to become a snooker player and buy yachts and the like, because he went off to be an scientisty-entomologist type, which is infinitely less profitable. Either that or he was a rubbish snooker player, which is also possible. :p

21. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I think I prefer watching a coat of paint dry.

22. Lau thread starter Guest

[​IMG]

There you go - made your night. Enjoy...:D

Ooh, it's getting really exciting now. Incidentally, the commentator just said "IT'S A FIGHT TO THE DEATH!" a few minutes ago, which highly amused me.

23. UKnjb macrumors 6502a

UKnjb

Okey dokey, back to the snooker. I'me just watching Dott coming back from a 61 deficit and doing good. And they (the commentators) say that there are 70-something points on the table. Just how do they calculate that? Does it presume that the Black gets potted after each red? Or what?

Blimey, he's effing done it!!!!!!! Took the game!!!!! Crikey. 17 frames to 14.

And - as an irrelevant extra. I find it hard to watch snooker as I am totally colour-blind (see Doctor Q's thread on it) and they are just hitting -- balls! I can see the white, the blue and, if I know it's not the cue ball, the yellow. But that's me lot. Makes it a wacky game to watch.

24. Lau thread starter Guest

Yes, that was wicked.

I think the points left on the table are the maximum left (i.e. yes, potting the black after every red). In other words if Player 1's 70 points ahead, Player 2 is on the table and there's 60 points left on the table Player 2 has to make Player 1 foul in order for Player 2 to have a chance at winning, even if he pots the balc after every red.

Sounds like my black and whiite telly days. Adds extra spice. :D

25. Lau thread starter Guest

Ooh, that was a rubbish safety from Ebdon in the final frame. But then Dott buggered it up anyway....

And then Ebdon buggered it up more! Think this is it....

Commentator with another gem "he's come though the valley of doubt". :p