Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rjkgr

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2013
I am but i think im going to have my brother switch phones and he upgrades because dont i lose my data i have unlimited right now for verizon and no point of changing without unlimited right?>

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Sorry if this was already asked, but I have Verizon..

My contract is up in February 2014 (2 year contract). I got an iPhone 5 last September (was on a different plan at the time, used a parent's upgrade, then split onto my own plan). My fiancee and I will be getting a plan together after we're married next May, most likely around September, so I'm not looking to renew my contract.

Can I add another line onto my current account, and get a subsidized iPhone 5S on that line? Then transfer it to my line, and use that line as a dummy line essentially? I know on AT&T that kind of line would be $10, is this possible on Verizon and if so how much would it be?

cwosigns

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2008
Columbus,OH
I will be upgrading. I waited in line last year to get the 5 on launch day, and will do the same on the 20th to get the 5s.

I don't really WANT to wait in line, but in order to keep my unlimited data plan with Verizon I have to pay full price. So I will buy the 5s and then sell my 5 on craigslist.

wacky4alanis

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2009
I might upgrade from 5 to 5s at some point, but I'm not going to right away. I will at least wait until iOS 7 is jail-broken. I'm too used to all of the nice tweaks to get rid of them.

sou1 so1di3r

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2008
Denver, CO
I'm dropping off my family's AT&T plan and switching to verizon, so I'll either sell my 5 or give it to my mom or Dad, and then get the 5S

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Still on the fence - would have the money after selling my 5 but not really sure it's worth it. It's the 5s or an iPad mini 2, as I can't justify both at the moment.

Tempted by a nice silver or space grey 5s though...

tmpecus78

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2011
I don't think I've even turned the crap phone on since the day I did the upgrade swap. :-D

----------

I believe the phone I used was an AT&T Go Phone...the rep just swapped out the SIM card.

So a prepaid phone would work in this instance?

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
I'm dropping off my family's AT&T plan and switching to verizon, so I'll either sell my 5 or give it to my mom or Dad, and then get the 5S

And you're doing this because you DON'T like having simultaneous voice and date, I assume?

GadgetGeek407

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2009
florida
I'll be calling AT&T on the 20th and getting a subsidized upgrade for myself and my dad, as we've done for the past 2 years. Takes some doing and quite a bit of effort but it's worth it.

can you tell me exactly what you say and do? I am in a similar situation but you have to order through them right not in person?

James717

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2013
Here's a bit of comparison.

Attachments

• allphones.png
    allphones.png
    181.4 KB · Views: 166

jimbo1mcm

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2010
I'm going from the 5 > 5S because my mother is kind enough to let me use her upgrade....

Here's my sitch:

I'm on a family plan still because its cheaper than my wife and I splitting to our own plan (which wouldn't save either of our families any money theirs). I'm the mobile device junkie in my family. I'm also the oldest and only kid who works - both my brothers are in college/law school and my sister is still in HS - so I have money to drop on devices.

On our family plan we have 5 phone lines and 2 iPad lines. One of those iPad lines is mine, while the other is my mom's so effectively we have 7 upgradable lines. My siblings all use theirs every two years, so those 3 are off limits to me.

My wife is on a plan with her mom and grandmother - both of whom are perfectly content with their devices (a 4S and 5) and couldn't care less about upgrading.....really they only do it when we present the opportunity.

This is how my 2013 has gone as far as smartphones....

(1) Began the year with an iPhone 5 I got at launch on my mom's iPad line. (My phone line's upgrade was used to get the 4S in Feb 2012....was sorta a forced thing as my 4 died and I figured I'd just use the upgrade).

(2) Bought a Nexus 4 in February - my first Android device. My job requires a cell so I was, at the time, carrying two iPhones around. Figured I would switch my personal device to an Android since I was required to have an iPhone for work.

(3) Used an early upgrade on my phone line in May to purchase an HTC One (sold my Nexus 4).

(4) Used my mother-in-law's upgrade in August to purchase a GS4 (sold my HTC One - made $250).

(5) Recently sold my iPhone 5 in preparation of the 5S (will make $225 after purchasing 5S).

My plan is to use my mom's upgrade on the 5S, and sometime down the line, use an early upgrade from my iPad line to purchase a 5C for $350. I'll also keep tabs on the Nexus 5 and will likely pick one up when it's released so essentially I'll have:

Galaxy S4 (main personal phone)
Nexus 5 (backup Android)
iPhone 5S (main work phone)
iPhone 5C (backup iPhone)

Unfortunately, this sets me up to be without an upgrade until early 2015, but I can deal with that. If the 6 is mind-blowing I'll have devices to sell to offset the cost of buying it outright.

Isn't family great :D

I'm calling your mom and telling her that she needs the 5S

lenard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2007
Raleigh NC
I am on mobile share with AT&T and have two lines. One line is off contract each following year, so I upgrade every year and also
Sell the old phone to offset the cost of the upgrade. So right now we have an 4s and the 5. After upgrade we will have the 5 and the 5s and sell the 4s.
Next year the 5 will be off contract and available for an upgrade.

GadgetGeek407

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2009
florida
I have 8 lines on AT&T Mobile Share Plan and all the lines have iPhone 5 and one has S4, I really want to upgrade all of them to 5s. All lines are eligible for partial upgrade of $450 for 16gb.

sou1 so1di3r

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2008
Denver, CO
And you're doing this because you DON'T like having simultaneous voice and date, I assume?
No because I prefer my iPhone to have signal when I go into the mountains
I have 8 lines on AT&T Mobile Share Plan and all the lines have iPhone 5 and one has S4, I really want to upgrade all of them to 5s. All lines are eligible for partial upgrade of $450 for 16gb.

How do you have 8 lines on one plan.

Smileyboy

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
Same here, but selling her 4s overseas for more profit. hehe :D

Yep I've done that every year too since the 3GS. It's worked out great.
If that fails! Adding a line on VZW, then suspending it while I look for a cheap phone. To put on there. :)
Most I paid for my iPhone was $30 out of my pocket

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Jul 19, 2010
can you tell me exactly what you say and do? I am in a similar situation but you have to order through them right not in person?

All I do is call AT&T and ask for an upgrade. If they say no I talk to their supervisor and continue up the chain until I get the early subsidized upgrade with no extra fees. Just did it today - took about an hour on the phone but ended up with two white 32GB iPhone 5s's that will be at my doorstep in 3-5 business days from tomorrow. $299.99 each with the signing of another 2 year contract, which prove to be useless since this will be the third year in a row I've broken out of the contract with a year remaining for the new model.

PatriotInvasion

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2010
Boston, MA
I take advantage of the early upgrade every single year and sell the old model the next day for $350-$400. I end up being out $150 or so for the upgrade after taxes/case/etc but it's worth it to me to always have Apple's latest/greatest hardware.

CanesDrew

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2012
Memphis, TN
I just got a hit tonight to sell my 64 gig iPhone 5 with accessories for $750 tomorrow morning. The guy is meeting me at Verizon. I'm going to either buy the 32 or 64 gig 5s.

I can't decide. More than likely I'm going to get Applecare on it either way. I don't necessarily need the 64GB BUT it's worth more in resale.

Pretty sweet deal for me. He's getting a great deal too because my phone includes Applecare until early 2015, Lifeproof, Otterbox Armor and a Mophie Air.

Good deal all around.

Anyone else working something else out similar?

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
Lol...I'm the same way. Had the 3G, 3GS, 4, 4s, 5 and will get the iPhone 5s although I was little disappointed with the 5s. I have to have the latest.

Same here, only I had the original.

I also had 2 of the iPhone 4. One black, and when it finally came out? A white. :D

cristovao

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2010
Calgary
I just got a hit tonight to sell my 64 gig iPhone 5 with accessories for $750 tomorrow morning. The guy is meeting me at Verizon. I'm going to either buy the 32 or 64 gig 5s.

I can't decide. More than likely I'm going to get Applecare on it either way. I don't necessarily need the 64GB BUT it's worth more in resale.

Pretty sweet deal for me. He's getting a great deal too because my phone includes Applecare until early 2015, Lifeproof, Otterbox Armor and a Mophie Air.

Good deal all around.

Anyone else working something else out similar?

I just sold my 5 64GB Unlocked this evening for $650, no Apple Care and only a simple clear case as an added accessory. Going to grab a 16GB this time around.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.