Anyone who has the 2011 model gonna sell it to get the 2012 refresh?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Kendo, Mar 22, 2012.

  1. macrumors 65816

    Apr 4, 2011
    I typically buy the latest iPhone and iPad as soon as the refresh hits since the upgrade cost typically isn't that bad (sold my iPad 2 for $450 two months ago and bought the new one for $500). I thought about getting into the habit of doing it with my MacBook Air but I really can't foresee the next refresh being that much better. Sure it will be faster and include USB 3.0 (maybe) but unlike the past refresh which added a Core i5, Thunderbolt, and a backlit keyboard, I just can't see the next one being worth the hassle of selling and upgrading.

    What are your thoughts? I'd like to hear opinions from people who plan on holding onto their 2011 model and those who plan on upgrading.
  2. macrumors 68030


    Jun 11, 2011
    I probably won't.
    I probably will keep it as it fits my needs fine.
    I will get a new iPod probably.
    I do see your logic though.
  3. macrumors 68000

    Mar 11, 2008
    Depends on what is in the refresh. If it's just incrementally faster processor and maybe USB 3.0, then no. Something like a new form factor or better displays then probably yes.
  4. macrumors 6502

    Jun 20, 2011
    Maybe, I may upgrade to a i7, if it also has UBS3, a SATA3 SSD and 6GB of RAM or more.

    Other wise it's not really to much worth an upgrade for me.
  5. macrumors 6502

    Jul 25, 2010
    I may upgrade if they come out with a 15 inch macbook air. I have the 13 inch macbook air (2011) and i love it but a 15 inch would be kick ass. Especially if they up the ram. i think the processor is fine unless they can make it more efficient.
  6. macrumors 68020

    Nov 3, 2008
    I tried selling my 11" a few weeks ago and was getting offers left and right but I backed off because I wasn't sure I could handle losing it. But after thinking it through I tried listing it again last week and NOBODY wants it. I guess the new iPad soured the ultra portable market.
  7. macrumors 6502a


    Jun 18, 2008
    I actually have my eyes open on what the new 13" Pro will be like. If it indeed will have a thinner form factor and a better resolution than what the 13" Air has now, I might jump on that. The biggest factor will be a GPU better than the HD4000 for the Pro because I'm sure the upcoming Air would be limited to just the HD4000. Also the fact that the Air update would be a bit later than the Ivy Bridge Pro and I need to quench my 'new Mac thirst' asap.
  8. macrumors 6502

    Jul 19, 2009
    I longer lasting battery would make me sell my 11" i5 .. other than that I Love my 11" air!!
  9. macrumors 65816


    Jun 30, 2010
    No I wont. I upgrade my iDevices yearly but not my macs. I actually use my macs for serious stuff other than messing about so dont need the hassle. I will be getting the new imac in 2012 when that launches. But I am completely happy with my 2011 air. I use it more than anything else.
  10. macrumors 6502

    Jun 18, 2010
    Rip City
    I find myself yearning for a faster CPU, so yes, probably.
  11. macrumors 65816

    Mar 13, 2012
    I want to switch my personal late 2011 MBP 13" for a MBA 13" so I'll probably do it during the refresh later this year. My work MBA is quite nice and I dread pulling out my personal MBP due to the size now.
  12. macrumors G5


    Jul 29, 2011
    Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
    I doubt I will, my 13" is fine for my needs...a large SSD might swing me in that direction though.
  13. macrumors 65816


    Jan 27, 2011
    • Higher (retina?) resolution
    • 8 GB RAM
    • USB 3.0
    • i7 1.8 or more
    • Yes
    • No
  14. macrumors 601


    Jul 14, 2010
    Phila, PA
    I might not unless it's a serious upgrade to me like the 15" possibility or better resolution.
  15. macrumors regular

    Aug 23, 2007
    I'm looking to upgrade my 2010 MBA. Hope I can get $800 (w/ a year Apple Care left) for the base 13" model--I'm trying to stay hopeful.

    I like working on the MBA, but I'm finding myself needing more power and ram. If the new MBA won't offer 8GB I might have to go to a 13" pro. Blah. I hope to upgrade my MBA this year and wait another year (or two) to upgrade my 17".
  16. macrumors 6502a

    Feb 3, 2011
    Will go for the 15" MBP/MBA and give my 13" 2010 MBA to my wife.
  17. macrumors 6502a

    Sep 12, 2008
    In a house...duh!
    I just bought my 11" about 3 weeks nope.

    I use it for sofa surfing and it rides along in my Timbuk2 messenger bag for those impromptu surfing sessions while about and about. Works perfectly for my needs.

  18. macrumors regular

    Apr 16, 2011
    If it runs cooler or has a higher resolution screen I will.
  19. macrumors 68040


    Jul 9, 2008
    Okie land

    My upgrade cycle for laptops is 2 to 3 years.

    I'm sure "retina" would be tempting, but I will wait.
  20. macrumors 68000


    Mar 5, 2011
    Relative wants my 2011 13in, so probably going to spring for a 2012 once they hit. Not sure if I'm going to go 11in or 13in, but we'll see. Once I get it, I'll probably keep it for 2-3 years.

    I'm hoping for 2 things, aside from Ivy Bridge which is a given - Vastly increased battery life (especially on the 11) and HD FaceTime camera. With all the news about retina displays, that'd be cool too though.

    My one true dream is for the 11in to squeeze in a 12.5in or 13in screen, while keeping the same dimensions. It wouldn't be too hard if they moved the camera a little higher and the Macbook Air logo a little lower. They might need some type of thinner LCD, but I think it's doable. But I don't think we'll see it happen.
  21. macrumors 6502

    Jul 10, 2007
    Ulladulla, NSW Australia
    I don't own the 2011 model personally, I have the 2010 one, so I am definitely looking to upgrade. This model has been an awesome bit of kit - the SSD makes up for the Core2Duo IMHO. I really would like 8GB RAM and a faster SSD next time. A HiDPI screen wouldn't go astray!
  22. macrumors 6502a

    Dec 31, 2010
    My biggest desire right now is a higher resolution screen. Everything else in the current Airs is quite amazing already. If those come to fruition, I will sell my 11" MBA (currently my only machine) and buy a new 13" for my only machine. If that doesn't happen, I'll probably just pick up a 15" Pro at the next refresh and stick with my dual-machine setup.
  23. macrumors 68030

    Jul 21, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    If they add USB 3 I might be tempted. Will have to see how much I could get for mine, if its worth the upgrade.
  24. macrumors 65816

    Dec 9, 2011
    No, I maxed out my 13" and I'm very happy with it. If a 15" arrives I might consider upgrading next time around, but I usually hold on to laptops for a bit longer.
  25. macrumors newbie

    Aug 12, 2011
    I'll replace my 11" Air in 8 years whether it needs it or not.

Share This Page