Anyone who will watch ? Mars making closest approach to Earth in 60,000 years

Discussion in 'Community' started by CmdrLaForge, Aug 22, 2003.

1. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/space/08/12/mars.close.up.ap/index.html

Hi,

will anyone watch that ? I will definitly. I think this is a great oppertunity. Maybe I will go to a planetarium

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

This was already posted a couple weeks ago. I've been watching it for a while myself and saw it again last night - its really bright.

I'm wondering if anyone here will get pics of the planet that are clear enough to see details.

D

3. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

If it is clear this weekend I will take a stab at getting a photo. I have been trying to get a webcam setup on my mac for Astro Photos. I was having a focusing problem, then life got hectic and I ran out of time....

I will give it a stab this weekend....

4. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

5. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Don't limit yourself to that date, the differences aren't that great but you never know if you'll have a cloudy night or not.

D

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I'm hoping the fog lifts sometime soon here...:rolleyes:

7. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Im gunna go outside and spend 5 minutes watching it.

But I dont think I'll get out the old telescope or anything.

I used to be very interested in astronomy though. WHen I was little.

scem0

8. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

I doubt I will go out and see it. Astronomy doesn't really interest me. I do think, however, it is cool that is the closest Mars has been in thousands of years. I just won't be seing it.

9. CmdrLaForge thread starter macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

Sorry- I did'nt know that we already had a threat about it.

But if anyone could paste some pics - that would be really great !

10. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

I got this image using my high powered Google® Image Searcher©, [​IMG]
    :p

11. digitalgiant macrumors regular

Look at my Dads set up

He has been watching for a few weeks. I get some really great photos for mars every morning.
    http://webpages.charter.net/davidees/indexphotosAstro.html

His sony 717 mounts right up to the eye piece. His Ti book controls the movement of his scope. Its a way ool set up. Worth alook if you are into this sort of thing.

Laters

12. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Re: Look at my Dads set up

That is an awesome site. You must be very proud of you Dad. Is he a professional or is this a hobby?

13. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

The weather is just clearing now. Mars is still in a good haze, but the work I did on my camera was for naught. I epoxied the problem section of the modifications, but I forgot to score one side of section to glue. When I tested it the seal broke right away. I will score the sides again and try it tomorrow night...

(I am exhausted tonight anyway. I am getting old... :( Yeah I know I am only 27. ;))

14. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

So the weather cleared and Mars was nice and bright, so I decided to go out and see what I could through my 300mm zoom on my camera.

I saw a sphere!!!

So I took some pics, from 1 sec to 20 sec of exposure. I'll get them developed and post what I have back here.....unbelievable!

If they turn out good, I might have to get some 50 speed film and try that so that image is less grainy. I shot with 200 tonight.

D

15. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

Are you sure 50 is fast enough? You might not get a crisp image unless you can track it...

16. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

well, I'm not sure - I'll wait and see how these come out. The thing is, that Mars as a point light source might overexpose at 10 secs or even less. So even though the camera is telling me I need more light for the image, I might not for Mars.

We'll know tomorrow. :D

D

17. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

I think at f2.8 you will be underexposed at 10 seconds. I would expect that you would need around a 30 second exposure. I would bracket my photos (Like start at 5 seconds and go to even as high as 50 seconds) You will definitely have trails, but then you will know what exposure worked ok with that speed of film.

But, that is the fun of Astro Photography. I used to go grab a few hours of sleep and then be at the one hour Photo, I had trained to develop my astro photos right, first thing in the morning. (that is another thing, getting a developer who will develop astro photos right.)

Actually I am planning on selling all of my nikon slr gear to get into digital astro photography. If you need some old sturdy nikon stuff let me know.

18. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Well, we'll see what happens. I've not done this before, so its also a learning experience.

And I'm shooting with a Canon Elan, so I'm not looking for Nikon stuff, but thanks.

I do plan on going digital eventually - I just need to buy a new computer first. One big expense at a time ;)

D

19. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Our local ABC station WCVB Channel 5 showed us a live telescope view of Mars last evening on the 11pm broadcast!

20. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I step out the side door (facing south) and say hi to Mars every night. When the late evening news comes on, I know it is time. I have my binoculars nearby so I can grab them. I can't really see a difference from night to night, but I like to pretend I can and tell everyone "boy, it's even closer tonight!"

21. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

So I'll be going out again tonight and getting more pics - using 50 speed Velvia slide and some thing else, not sure what I have left around the house.

The ones I shot last night - got them developed today - are all over exposed for Mars - its a bright circle in the middle of the picture. And I bracketed the shots from 1 to 20 seconds!

So like I mentioned, even though the light for the whole image was underexposed, the one small little spot that's Mars was over exposed. Tonight I'll to from 2 sec to 1/20th sec and see what happens....:D

D

22. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

Well my epoxy job worked on the camera and I ended up not really needing it.

I used an orion Short tube 80, a Stealthfire webcam, and my good ole TiBook with BTV for video capture.

I reduced the aperture of the short tube 80 down to about 40mm to try and keep it from over exposing. (didn't work...) I attached the results here. I will try with my Barlow tomorrow, that should increase the magnification and reduce the brightness....

Mr. A, post some of your shots if you get a chance...

I didn't get anything useful, but I still think the concept is sound....

23. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Technical difficulties prevented me from shooting last night - I hope to get some more tonight. I'll post a pic soon, but I left them at home today by mistake. It will have to wait till tomorrow....and then I might have even better pics.

Is you pic 1:1 in terms of what was shot? That's not that bad even though it was over exposed. I'll be trying 100 speed and 200 speed film and seeing what I get. I'll probably scan in the negs of the good ones at 2500 dpi, so I'll get a sphere anywhere from 100 to 50 pixels wide. Who knows how it will look....

D :D

24. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

Yup all I did was Crop the image. I am going to try with my bigger scope tonight weather permitting. I think the magnification will be greater but the brightness might be a problem. :) The best part was that only one Mosquito bit me! At my old house I would have had 30 bites in the same period of time. :)

25. digitalgiant macrumors regular

Re: Re: Look at my Dads set up

Its just a hobby. Must be nice to have money and have to work:D