Anyone willing to help me start an internet TV station?

Discussion in 'Community' started by hotwire132002, Sep 21, 2004.

1. hotwire132002 macrumors 65816

hotwire132002

Pretty much what I said in the title. I'd like to start an internet TV station, mostly because I already tried cable, satellite, and antenna. None were feasible.

My plan: Start an internet news station with on-demand and live (streaming) video. Anybody can send in their news footage/story, and (provided it's appropriate), I'll put it on the online news station. Anyone willing to help with the idea? I'm open to suggestions as to where to go with it--It's still in the "idea" phase.

EDIT: I'm thinking a 24-hour stream would be a neat idea, so I'd air more than just news. Like I said, I'm still planning. Exactly what the station is can change, I just want a TV station!

2. makisushi macrumors 6502

sounds interesting....shoot me an email
    makisushi at gmail dot com

3. dross macrumors regular

dross

Interesting. Send me a private message to discuss.

4. hotwire132002 thread starter macrumors 65816

hotwire132002

I'm trying to think of a name for the station (since I think this one will actually work out :D )--I'm thinking "WebLink TV". Any better ideas, or do you like it?

5. dross macrumors regular

dross

6. hotwire132002 thread starter macrumors 65816

hotwire132002

I decided Weblink TV doesn't work, since there's a company called WebLink
    So, the person who can come up with the best one-word name (that hasn't been taken--Google it first!) for the station wins! (Their name will be the station name.)

Any ideas would be very helpful!

EDIT: On a different note, anyone willing to "donate" programming so I can get this rolling? You get your show aired on a "real" TV station :D ;) !

7. medea macrumors 68030

medea

what about NetStation.
    apparently it does exist as a form of linux but that shouldn't matter.

8. hotwire132002 thread starter macrumors 65816

hotwire132002

I like the name, but there are two problems:

1) Netstation.com is taken.
    2) Too many Google results (22,000 or so)

I've got a name I'll use unless someone comes up with a better one. I'm not going to say what the name I came up with is, on fear of someone registering the domain. Sorry!

EDIT: Another note--as to programming aired, I found a whole bunch of public domain crap that I can air as "filler" material. This is going to work! (All I need now is about 5 sponsors at $25 a piece and we're good to go)

9. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

why do i have a feeling you'll even have a hard time finding that.

iJon

10. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

This is actually a good idea, and if you get good content it could be very successful.

The problem is going to be getting good servers/connections.

11. MacFan25863 macrumors 6502a

MacFan25863

I'll help you! I'm a HS student, and have been doing Video Production stuff for 3 years now, starting with my junior high video group and now my HS video class. We make a live news program for the school everyday, and film school events, so I can help with the video side of the work.

I also do webdesign (HTML and PHP), so if you need help there, I can do that, too.

My email is sean@herron-family.com

If you want me to send you an example or anything, just shoot me an email :)

-Sean

12. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

I can just see it now, not to rain on the parade though. I saw this on your site and can imagine it in this situation. "Would you rather support Direct TV, a multi billion dollar company, or a local student." Sorry, I just couldn't help myself.

iJon

13. AmnesiacOpera macrumors member

Sounds like a great idea. I just had a few questions.

1. How are you funding this? Setting up the server would not exactly be a cheap task.

2. I'm assuming you would be making some of the programming yourself. What equipment are you using to create the programming?

3. Are you planning on making a profit from this station? If so, I don't think you should be asking for free programming.

I do some work for a high school cable tv station and I'm sure they would have some programming they would be willing to donate. You can e-mail me at amnesiacopera (at) gmail . com

14. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

How much are you planning to spend on equipment and what are you planning on using. I have used some computer based software but it is quite pricey.

15. hotwire132002 thread starter macrumors 65816

hotwire132002

I don't think it will be much of a problem--I can name five businesses of the top of my head that would be willing to help out with this :D

16. hotwire132002 thread starter macrumors 65816

hotwire132002

You sound a lot like me--you're still in high school, and you're doing web design and video production. You sure we're not related ;) ?

Anyway, any video you could provide would be excellent!

As to web design, I think I'll be doing that myself, but I'll keep you in mind if I need any help!

17. hotwire132002 thread starter macrumors 65816

hotwire132002

1) Sponsors. Between a dedicated internet connection and a streaming server, I figure it will cost around $100 per month (to start). As I get more viewers, I can increase the streaming server bandwidth. Not too bad!

2) To create programming, I have some old live production equipment (switcher, tape decks, titler...), but I'll mostly use Final Cut on my G5. However, based on my schedule, the more programming I can get from you guys, the better!

3) I'm not planning on making much (if any) profit. I just want to get it up and running!

18. hotwire132002 thread starter macrumors 65816

hotwire132002

I'm planning on minimal equipment costs--I want to run a QuickTime server, but for cost reasons I might have to settle for a Windows Media--because I have an old PC that could run the stream. Both QuickTime Broadcaster and Windows Media Encoder are free.

As for editing software being pricy (if that's what you're talking about), I already have Production Suite on my G5, so cost there is not an issue.

19. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

A couple domain names that are available:

worldtvstream.com
    tvdominion.com

20. tomf87 macrumors 65816

tomf87

You better hope you get more than a $100 connection to the Internet. Your fastest DSL/cable connection isn't going to cut it. In addition, you will need to stream in a format compatible with most clients and have a bitrate high enough so it is actually enjoyable.

Let's say you have 10 people watching a 300kbps video, that's a 3MB connection right there.

21. hotwire132002 thread starter macrumors 65816

hotwire132002

Well, my plan was to send out a stream via a cable connections to Streamguys.com, and have them distribute the stream.

However, I unfortunately am going to have to put the project on hold, mostly because I am going to be working more, leaving me with less free time to work on this. (Money is also a "small" issue.)

Anyway, I'll keep you posted when I find the time to make this work!

22. hotwire132002 thread starter macrumors 65816

hotwire132002

Never mind this one. I don't have the time after all.

I'm indecisive :p

23. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

I think you might need to rethink your angle on web design. It's obvious by your site design that you're not a pro designer. If you think people would pay for programming on a site with amateurish design? I think most people these days tend to look at e-commerce/subscription based sites and immediately critique the site and think "will it be here in a year"

I don't know if, based on the design skills you have exhibited on your site, that people would buy into it. I think you'd be well pressed to hire a designer to do your site. Usability and functional design would be an A+ priority for what you're talking about.

24. hotwire132002 thread starter macrumors 65816

hotwire132002

Well, it looks a lot better than my old site.

And what's so bad about my current site?

25. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

I could tell you but i'd have to bill you for a consulting fee. ;)

In all honesty, it's a poor rip of the apple functionality. Which to me is a huge no-no. Originality is KEY. Seconly, your graphics aren't very smooth. They have a sort of chopped together look to them. The clipping paths are poorly done and sticking them on a solid background with no shadowing, etc, gives it a "fake" feel. Give it some shadow. Some depth. Look at product shots and mimic that when you put clipped graphics on a page.

Thirdly, your text is, what we used to call in design school, "horsey." It's big and looks unbalaced with the rest of the layout. I'd go with a small fontsize. Maybe get away from black and go with a mid gray. Give the text some breathing room. Format your body copy a bit differently from your sidebar. Etc. Typesetting is 85% of design and 95% of designers don't know enough about type!

A better color scheme, (go for something exciting and energetic. let people know you're young through your color usage too). Fourthly, your logo designs are a bit clumsy. Look at other computer manufacturers for inspiration. Buy a logo book and look at that stuff. Get some ideas. Go from there.

Lastly, if you're going to do four sections about your machines, make some separate graphics for each. Using the same image makes you look like you half-thought out your site.

Just a couple suggestions. I could go on, but i'm sure you've stopped reading by now

m