Anyone with a 6-12 month baby and a tape measure?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Applespider, Aug 24, 2005.

1. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I need to know the circumference of a baby's head at 6-12 months and I don't have access to a small child. I've had a look online but the figures seem to range from 15" to 19" which seems like a huge range. I'd kinda like to know if the average is closer to 16" or 18" since it will make a big difference.

I know we've had a few 'new father' posts recently - any slightly older parents out there with a tape measure? Ta muchly!

2. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

i have a 8 month old, but im at work now.

maybe later i'll measure her head.

y;know there are graphs that show the head size and height according to age and averages.

http://www.babycenter.com/refcap/baby/babydevelopment/1620.html

3. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I've got a tape-measure, and I suppose I could borrow a baby, but someone else has probably got the whole kit...
    :p

4. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

My 8 month old girl, 43 cm = 17 inches. This is about average.

This site http://www.babycenter.com/growthchart/ will give you the percentiles for different ages.

For example, a 6 month old girl with 16" head is in the 5th percentile (i.e. is smaller than than 95% of 6 month olds). A 12 month old girl with a 18 3/4" head is in the 95th percentile. It's about the same for boys - so a range if 16"-18 3/4" covers 90 % of babies between the ages of 6-12 months.

Since growth is phenomenal in the first year, perhaps you should narrow the age range a bit?

Edit: paediatricians get worried only if the head is very small, about 10th percentile or so ... or if the head size changes too dramatically. Both my girls were small-headed, in the 25th percentile, at birth, which surprised everyone given the size of the typical plinden family member's head.

5. PickledSquirrel macrumors regular

PickledSquirrel

*looking through sons medical journal*

7 months was 45,5 cm
    9 months was 46,5 cm
    12 months was 46 (hmmm interresting... guess i shrunk him in the meantime)

What that makes in inches I'n not sure, but you'll prolly be able to find out.

-Squirrel

6. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Does this have anything to do with this?.

I've got a 9 month old at home, but she usually tries to see everything I do so keeping her still to measure her head could be problematic. My wife also doesn't quite understand the whole online forum thing so explaining what I am doing will get me a good :rolleyes:

7. Applespider thread starter macrumors G4

Applespider

Yup! Have lots of wool left and knitting a hat in the same pattern but trying to figure out how many stitches to cast on since there's no 'hat' pattern with that size needle/wool around and all the sizes were contradicting each other.

Thanks to all - those growth charts were ideal. I'll knit it to fit 17 to 18" and we should be fine

8. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

Given that those were a range of circumferences, a 4 inch span only comes to a little more than an inch wider and deeper (or think of it an extra half an inch on each side and front and back. Makes sense. I've seen babies with painfully large looking heads around..

9. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Just have to say that this is the best thread title I've seen all week. So many possibilities... :eek: :)

10. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

My kids are all over 2 years, the youngest is 2 years and 9 months but if you"re not in a hurry I can tell you in sometime when I have a kid of this age, again. ;)

Edit: I remember at that age, their head measure was 45 - 46 cm .

11. emw macrumors G4

emw

Sounds like a bar game. But isn't something you knit somewhat "stretchable"? I would think even if it's a little small, that would be better than a little big, since it won't fall in their face or something.

By the way, it's very nice of you to be knitting something for your friend.

12. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

I have to accept it and say that it scared me because the first thing I read was "Anyone with a 6-12 month baby and duct tape?", man, I need a rest.

13. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

Even at 10% they don't worry much. A long as there is constant growth. My daughter measured in the 10th percentile, and each visit, as she grows her head does too but still staying in the 10th percentile.

They worry if the baby's head does not grow at all.

14. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Sometimes you just need them to sit still for a minute or two. Duct tape comes in very handy for that. :D

I would argue the opposite, bigger is always better, especially for a hat at this point. As the wether cools the kid is more likely to have a use for the hat. The kids also grow at a phenomenal rate since you completely swap out wardrobes every three months because everything got too small. A little bigger would probably be perfect in about a month.

15. Lau Guest

You realise you now have to post pictures of the ensemble, yes? ;)

16. emw macrumors G4

emw

As a father with two young kids, I can see your point, but I don't know that I'd agree. Sure it's nice to have things that will fit later on, but really, I don't want my kids swimming in their clothes just so they can wear them an extra month.

With something that's hand-made, it's an heirloom anyway, and the symbolism of it will be as grand as the practicality, which is what makes it nice.

17. Applespider thread starter macrumors G4

Applespider

He's only 3 months at the moment (hence why I'm not just calling to ask his head size - and it's supposed to be a surprise!) But since I thought the 6-12 month size sweater would be most practical (wearable Nov-May time), I had to knit the hat a similar size to match.

And sure, Lau, I'll post a pic - perhaps not with Max in it though unless you want to wait til winter!

18. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

It depends if s/he has a normal sized head right now, I think.

I had an awfully large head at birth, and still do today. It doesn't look big, but if you measure the circumference, I'm in the "big hat" category. I care barely find a hat that fits my melon.

19. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

I wouldn't count on that in the first year. My daughter's checkouts have shown both bigger than average and smaller than average depending on how she grew the last few months. Never more than 10-15% off the norm but growth spurts hit at random times.

Of course I really know nothing about what I'm rambling on about, since she is our first and after 9 months I still don't know what I'm doing half of the time, but we manage.

20. Applespider thread starter macrumors G4

Applespider

New question...

I need to know how deep to make the hat. One website is suggestion 7.5" high but again that seems very, very large since the hat I knitted for myself last year was only 8.5" high!

So if anyone has a baby's beanie hat lying around and can measure from the brim to the top, I'd be most grateful....

21. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Don't have a beanie or the baby lying around just now, but 7.5" doesn't seem that excessive. It'll come down about 3-4 inches over the baby's ears, leaving a cute overhang like a Santa's hat. Depends though on whether you want it to be snug.

22. pivo6 macrumors 68000

pivo6

Applespider, my newborn's hat is 6.5" tall, but the last 2 inches are designed to be folded back up.

23. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Ah that's right - wife's just returned home with the baby, and the lower couple of inches of the baby's hat are indeed turned up.

24. PickledSquirrel macrumors regular

PickledSquirrel

my son's hat is some 15 cm, (+ 5 to fold, that'll be 20 in total) and he is 14 months old. He's been using the hat since around 6 months, though.

-squirrel

25. Applespider thread starter macrumors G4

Applespider

Using a combination of all the above measurements etc, I've finally finished and am about to send it off to his mother. Perhaps this thread will be resurrected in December when he'll be 6 months with a photo of him wearing it.

In the meantime, here's a picture of my baby wearing them :p

Attached Files: