Anyone with a Sony TRV-22 Camcorder

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by GetGo, Feb 22, 2004.

1. GetGo macrumors regular

I just bought a new TRV-22 Sony camcorder and I was trying to connect it to my ibook. I opened imovie and it could not find the camera that was connected. The help section of imovie said it needed to be connected by a firewire cable. The only cable that came with the camera was a USB cable. Is this true it won't work with a USB cable.
    So does Sony have a firewire cable for this camera?

Need some help please....

2. bnemesis macrumors regular

I just purchased the same camera.

Digital camcorders, like printers usually do NOT come with a cable. I guess they assume that once you buy one, you wont need to purchase another when you get new equip, so why spend the money to include it..

The included usb cable is to be used for transfering still images and mpeg clips from the included memory stick. USB is way to slow to transfer DV footage to your computer.

For the TRV-22, all you need is a standard 4pin/6pin IEEE1394 (Firewire, iLink, etc. Its all the same thing)

I got this one (and paid out the pooper for it) at (not so)Best Buy: http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProd..._Id=&Section_Id=1976&pcount=&Product_Id=62357

I saw one the other day in the electronics section of Target that was around $10 for a 3' 4pin/6pin firewire cable.

3. Opteron macrumors 6502

yeah all you need is a 4-6pin firewire cable, cost <$20AUD.

4. GetGo thread starter macrumors regular

I have a question. You said I need a 4 pin to a 6 pin firewire cable. Is the ilink part of the cable the 4 pin? And the ibook I have I guess is the 6 pin.
    I would like to buy one by the weekend.

Thanks for you help guys....

5. GetGo thread starter macrumors regular

Is this what I need? I found this on the web at Comp USA

IEEE 1394 FireWire Cable, Black, 6 feet, IEEE-1394 6-pin Male to IEEE-1394 4-pin Male

Manufacturer: StarTech.com

Mfg Part #: 1394-46-6

Product Number: 50130356

Price: _ $6.43

Usually Ships In:_24 - 48 Hrs

(Delivery Only)

6. FriarTuck macrumors 6502

FriarTuck

Yeah, that's the kind of cable you're looking for.

I have the TRV22 as well. I hope you get as much enjoyment out of yours as I do w/ mine.

7. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

I have that camcorder as well, I really like the fact that I can record stuff of the TV and play it on my Mac.

BTW iLink is Sony's name for firewire.

8. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

More accurately I believe that iLink is Firewire without embedded power source.. hence the two less pins.

9. Skilz34 macrumors member

Re: Anyone with a Sony TRV-22 Camcorder

Where'd you buy it at, and how much?

10. GetGo thread starter macrumors regular

I am in New Jersey, I bought it at a place called 6th Ave Electronics. I believe I got a real good deal. The camera was on sale for $468.00. When I arrived at the store to buy it, they said all camcorders had another 10% discount. I also got a free bag, tripod, and cleaning kit. I added a 2 hour battery and a 2 pack of tapes. It came to around $510.00 I think. I saw this camera for a lot more I loved this price.

Hope this helps...

11. GetGo thread starter macrumors regular

If you read a couple of posts above where I listed a firewire cable from Comp USA at $6.83. My question is should I buy a cheap cable like this or get a better one? I see all others selling for $39.99 or $35.99. How can there be such a big difference?

Your thoughts please....

12. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

I just realized.. I DO own a Sony TRV-22... I bought one last November for an event we were having and I liked it so much (the touch sensitive screen was the clencher) that I decided to keep it. I've been using it, but never noticed the model number... :)

The one problem I've had with it, is that iMovie doesn't recognize incontinuities like it does with my Digital 8. :(

13. engelb15 macrumors member

I have the TRV-33, same form factor. I found a 6 foot 4-6 pin Firewire cable on eBay. No-Name brand, but it works great and it cost less than $10 shipped.