Anyone with an Intel Mac and Asobe Creative Suite 2?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Max on Macs, Aug 5, 2006.

1. Max on Macs macrumors 6502

Max on Macs

Hi guys,

I have two problems with Adobe Creative Suite 2 (Premium, if that matters). I've been using it now for over a year on an iMac G5 and it was all good. Now I've got rid of the iMac G5 because I'm going all Intel (the G5 packed up on me and I honestly can't be bothered getting it repaired since it's out of warranty). So I install CS2 on my MBP which has 10.4.7 and it installs fine. Photoshop, GoLive, InDesign, Illustrator, all working good. Version Cue... I click its menu item and try to turn it on, nothing happens. I go into System Preferences to go into Version Cue Preferences and it says I need to contact the vendor for a new version? So I run Adobe Updater and it has an update for Version Cue, as well as one for Photoshop and one for every other app (I think everything anyway). Most of them install fine, except the Version Cue and Photoshop updates. Version Cue one just keeps telling me it won't work and skipping it, Photoshop one says I have to choose the Photoshop CS2 to update and gives me a file browser but the Adobe Photoshop CS2.app is grayed out so i can't tell it to update that. Any idea how to get these updates working and how to get Version Cue working?

Thanks

2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

The Adobe line is that the server portion of Version Cue is incompatible with Rosetta. The client portion will still work, if you use it to access media on a remote PowerPC or windows server.

Adobe's Intel support statement (PDF)

3. 10-Dee-Q macrumors 6502

Bandung, West Java, Indonesia & Singapore
    i have the same problem on my MBP
    and i dont like the ce cue image with a forbidden sing on my task bar,
    can i just delete the cue? will my others adobe software suffer if i delete it
    anyway what is the use of this "cue" anyway ?
    sorry being a switcher i only use Adobe photoshop and pdf reader before on my windows machine, thx.

4. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

If you're lucky, there will be a Version Cue icon in your System Preferences with a checkbox to turn off the menu bar item.

If you needed Version Cue, you would know it. It's really intended for workgroups, kind of a custom file server, that lets media be checked in and out. The normal mode of saving and loading plain old files will work as always without it.

5. 10-Dee-Q macrumors 6502

Bandung, West Java, Indonesia & Singapore

there is a Version Cue icon in my system preferences bbut when i click it it says the same error mesage and when i right click on it it only give 1 option, "remove versioncue prefference panel"

what should i do ?
    i don't think i need the version cue at all, what is the safest way to uninstall the version cue and all it's components ?
    thx./

6. Max on Macs thread starter macrumors 6502

Max on Macs

I've never used Version Cue but someone told me it has SCM features which is why I'm interested in it.

7. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

It looks like a tops program but if I do anything I will wait till it will run perfectly on a mac.

8. Lincoln macrumors regular

Lincoln

Are you already running Photoshop 9.0.1?

I think that I can shed some light on the inability to update Photoshop CS2 as I had exactly the same problem installing the 9.01 update.

I installed in manually, fogot about it and then the automatic update ran (a week or two later) and it couldn't update Photoshop - same problem you had i.e. the icon is grayed out. When I ran Photoshop, the banner informed me it was already 9.0.1 - maybe this is what's happening to you? It might also be the same for Version Cue (not sure as I only have Photoshop).

9. projectle macrumors 6502

Many of the Adobe applications are so resource intensive that it is a joke to be running them in emulation anyways.

Hopefully, Adobe will make good on their claims of a UB version by the end of the year (as they said back in January at MacWorld)

10. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Okay, this is getting fun :p It seems you have it kind of half installed there.

Look in the folder Library/StartupItems on your boot volume, and see if there is a AdobeVersionCueCS2 folder in there. Move it somewhere (anywhere but inside that StartupItems folder). You will be asked to authenticate, that's normal. Restart, and that should kill the menu item (the program that tries to start the server is in there).

Once you're sure it's killed dead, you can remove that prefs icon if you like. I'd be tempted to leave the stuff in the Applications folder, only because Adobe installers are so weird and I can imagine an updater freaking because it went away.

11. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

Adobe have said point blank they have no intentions of releasing the Intel version until sometime in 2007. It will be CS3, so all of those Intel Mac users out there will have to cough up again a lot of money to simply have what they already have (maybe with some menu changes and some simple extras).

Adobe won't release a UB patch/updater because like MS building Vista when they ported CS and CS2 to PPC they left a lot of arbitrary windows code in their software so there is a huge amount of rewriting going on. Had they done it correctly in the first place rather than offer Mac users a port of a Windows application maybe our wait wouldn't have been so long or a patch imminent. In either case Adobe now have the monopoly on this and can hold us to ransom and squeeze our wallets dry.

{end of rant}