Anyone with the 17" display?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by losfp, Dec 21, 2002.

1. losfp macrumors regular

Heck, or any 17" LCD display, even. Do you know if the 1280 x 1024 display is 4:3 or 3:2? I keep thinking about getting a 17" display, but would like the proportions to be right.

and another thing. you can get 17", 18" and 19" LCD displays now. Why the @)#*($)#( are they all in 1280 x 1024? Resolution matters, moreso than screen size!

Bah! Sorry, this has degenerated into a general rant :D

2. yamadataro macrumors 6502

Re: Anyone with the 17" display?

Yeah, I once got pissed off by this pixel resolution nunsense, too.
    But higher resolution seem to sky-rocket the LCD prices.

I've got two Cinema Display with me now, so I don't care about it anymore, hehehe :D

Here's my theory about the reason behind this high price.

The LCD manufactures have to trash many LCD panels with dead pixels in the process. Larger resolution LCDs with so much more pixels have much bigger chance of containing dead pixels and getting trashed. The price of these unusable ones are piled on top of the usable higher resolution LCD panels.

CPU chips have the same price structure, as many of you already know.
    When they start manufacturing a new chip, the mask for burning the pattern on the silicon wafer is not perfect (and some other reasons too?) so that there are many chips with defects. The cost of these unusable ones are piled on top of the usable ones. Therefore make these new chips expensive. After they keep fixing the mask while they produce them the rate of good ones goes higher, then they can lower the cost = we can buy them cheaply.

3. losfp thread starter macrumors regular

Oops, you're absolutely right, of course. What I meant to ask was..... is the SHAPE of the SCREEN 5:4 or 4:3... 1280 x 1024 is a 5:4 shape which is often squished into a 4:3 screen, if that makes sense.

4. yamadataro macrumors 6502

I'm not so sure if I understood you correctly, but the pixels on computer LCDs are square ones (1:1), therefore when it's 1280 x 1024 it's a simple math: it's 5:4 physical size. It's different from TV screens and DV recordings which have non-square, vertically flattened pixels.

You can often adjust CRTs to have squished screen ratios because there's no dedicated pixels; every pixels are blurly dots. With LCDs the screen ratio will always remain the same. Pixels are always absolutely sharp and absolutely square. Am I making sense to you?

Are you sure LCDs often get squished to 4:3??? I've never heard of it... Well, maybe I just haven't. But if a computer screen has squished shape, the whole image on your screen gets squished for sure, right? It doesn't make sense. Maybe you are refering to squished video image on computer CRT?

5. losfp thread starter macrumors regular

ok, to clarify. I run 1280 x 1024 on a 21" CRT at work. The image on-screen is squished (things are shorter and fatter than they should be). What I was interested in knowing was whether the screen shape of the 1280 x 1024 LCDs was the proper 5:4, or the more common 4:3 screen shape