Anyone with the new eMac ??

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by MacSA, May 9, 2005.

1. MacSA macrumors 68000

MacSA

Anyone out there order the new eMac or received one yet? :)

2. MacSA thread starter macrumors 68000

MacSA

3. poundsmack macrumors 6502

poundsmack

4. matticus008 macrumors 68040

matticus008

Really?
    Now there's a great idea for a poll: who is buying a new eMac?

You might be the first!

5. poundsmack macrumors 6502

poundsmack

i hope i am not the first, i love the emac i have had my old one for a few years now and love it. plus i dont care how many people say the G5 is sooo great i still like the good old G4 haha

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Don't get me wrong but I reckon there are two reasons we're not seeing heaps of eMac buyers here.

Firstly, the average eMac buyer isn't all that into computers, and is pretty unlikely to post on Macrumors unless they've got a problem - and that's assuming they've even heard of us.

Secondly, the recent upgrades were, in my eyes, far more favourable to the iMac line than the eMac line. Sure, emacs are great machines, but the iMacs represent a better buy IMO.

Still, I think eMacs are awesome. I just love how Apple never actually even wanted to make them.

7. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

:( there are also those of us who can't afford anything more than an emac but love macs and post on MR just as much as those with $5k g5 setups. i think the new emac update is great and it's a very good value even compared to the imac g5s especially for schools and children. not to mention $1k is a psychological price barrier--spending 999 on a computer sounds disproportionately less than 1299 because of that hurdle. it's god for apple to have an aio under $1k even if it doesn't perform as well as it should considering its cost compared to an imac. i don't mean to sound angry/defensive or anything, i just don't think you should stereotype people based on their choice of computer. :eek:

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, I thought someone would misinterpret me. :( I really should have worked better on how I worded it or something.

All I'm saying is that there must be piles of people out there who bought eMacs because they simply wanted a cheap, non-Microsoft based computer. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to say that your Mac is directly proportional to your abilities as a forum groupie. It's just an explanation as to one of the reasons why there's been far more talk of the new iMac compared to the new eMac.

As for the money argument, that's fair enough. However, generally someone who is very interested in Macs (like us) is more likely to spend a little bit more on them (iMac over an eMac) than someone who is not interested at all. This is not a law, it is simply an anthropological explanation.

BTW, I love the eMacs. I just managed to convince my Dad to get another six for his business. He wanted imacs but I said the eMacs were more suited to his needs (they'll be for the secretaries) than the more expensive iMacs.

9. poundsmack macrumors 6502

poundsmack

my reasoning:

option:
    A. pay for rent, food, new cloths, and man mini
    B. pay for rent, food, and eMac
    C. iMac

option B was the most apealing to me :D

10. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Also, until the G5 iMacs came out, the iMacs weren't much more powerful (and at certain points were less powerful) than the eMacs. While I liked the style of the G4 iMacs, they were a waste of money for people without cash to burn.

11. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Sorry, I wasn't trying to pit the eMac against the iMac. I was just trying to explain to MacSA why there weren't many takers on his original post. I can see the eMacs have their place, don't get me wrong.

12. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

I will be looking into one for my Mom later this year.

The biggest reason that the eMac is the most apealing is the fact that it is all-in-one, the price, and isn't as fragile as the Imac.

My Mom is concerned about space, and since she is prone to minor "accidents" here and there I will not be as worried about broken LCD screens as I would be if she had an iMac or powerbook. since Applecare will not cover accidental LCD damage, the eMac is the best deal for what I need.

It is still good looking, and has good size and quality for what she will use it for!

13. MacSA thread starter macrumors 68000

MacSA

Now that the eMac has the better 64mb 9600 card installed, how much better wil it play the included games - nanosaur etc?

14. dops7107 macrumors 6502a

dops7107

Yeah I've ordered one, for my work computer at least. Basically I was given a budget of £600, no budging. I'd have loved a new iMac, but my boss took one look at it and said "you're not having a G5!" - essentially she didn't want her PB to be out-ranked, I reckon! I work for a university so we got education prices. Compared to the 333 MHz G3 iMac I have at the minute, an eMac will be sweet-as. Unfortunately for me, it will be technically better than the Mac Mini I bought myself a couple of months ago (except I have a gorgeous flat panel, not a clunky CRT). A little galling that, but I love my Mini so I'm not too bothered.

Basically the eMac is a relatively great computer for little money. In our lab we rotate our computers one at a time, as they get out of date - mine was next up for a change. Otherwise we have a combination of iBooks, Powerbooks and G3 iMacs. As mentioned above, I was excluded from having the first G5!