Anyone works at bestbuy? I just got hired!!!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Alag28, Sep 23, 2006.

1. Alag28 macrumors 6502

if any of u guys do work at your local BB....any tips for me? ill be working in the computer department :)

2. iGary Guest

iGary

Make sure you don't bathe for days at a time, show up to work unshaven with your pants falling down and have no clue what you are talking about. You should be fine. :p

Seriously, good luck, though.

3. DZ/015 macrumors 6502a

DZ/015

I just spit on my screen after reading your response. Thanks man!

4. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

WHAT?! :confused: thought that was just a highschool drama club.... didn't know they sold computers over there...:cool:

congrats and best of luck. recommend more memory and a re-install and they will think you are a GOD!

5. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

don't try to sell/sell customers crap they don't need its really annoying... would u like a 2 year warranty for your $5 mouse for only $20.. :rolleyes:

6. Old Smuggler macrumors 6502a

Old Smuggler

yeah dont be a moron
    and be shure to research what you sell
    BB employee's are the absolute dumbest people i have ever met
    and most of the time they are bold face liars that are full of sh**

7. Alag28 thread starter macrumors 6502

well since im very well rounded with computers and i know a **** load about them..i think ill serve the majority well ;)

8. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

You're not Geek Squad so probably won't have to push ram and stuff like that. However you'll probably have sales goals, especially near the holidays and lots of promos going on. Should be fun though, and you get a good discount. Good luck!

9. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

i just can't help messing with those people... like 'my mobo needs an AC only battery, not the DC ones you have out here on the shelf..." they go away, and rarely ever come back...

and the geek squad... PLEASE! rename a .dll and they are DONE!

more memory, and a reload... not kidding... they will make you a VP and you get your very own thin black tie and silly VW to drive...;)

10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Come now, what do you really think?

11. mariahlullaby macrumors 6502a

mariahlullaby

12. BurtonCCC macrumors 65816

BurtonCCC

Ugh, just don't be like every other Best Buy employee. It's a simple two-step program:

1. Actually try to have some customer service skills. The customer really is always right, no matter how much better you think you are than him. This step is thrown out the window if he's pissing on your shoes.
    2. Actually have a slight amount of product knowledge. Just know SOMETHING TRUE about ANYTHING of value.

There's more steps, but those are the main two. On the rare occurrence that I must venture into that deplorable store, the air reeks of the guys who don't follow the steps listed above. When will they realize that working at Best Buy doesn't make them better than anyone and in a lot of ways, it actually takes you down a few notches?

As a member of the MR forums, you are required by God to not be like them. And promote Macs as much as possible. ;)

Daniel.

13. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

I'm a cashier at store 283.
    Just make sure to get on the good side of your manager/supervisor, and if they are real strict about breaking the rules, then make sure that you are always doing your job whenever they are watching you. And don't get caught doing anything against company policy for the first 90 days (i think) because they will fire you immediately.
    Also, don't be late too many times, they will fire you for that too ;)

14. Aperture macrumors 68000

Aperture

Please don't be like every other BB employee. (as others have stated;) ) One time I was in a Best Buy and I overheard this guy telling the sales rep that his wifi didn't reach the other side of his house and he needed to extend it. The sales rep handed him ANOTHER router and said it would pickup the old signal and automatically send it out again. I felt bad for the guy who paid $70 to go home and find out that it wouldn't work.

Anyway, please actually know what you're selling very well and send people over to the Mac section as much as possible.;)

By the way, do they even sell Macs at BB??:confused:

Good Luck! Kevin

15. Bobdude161 macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

BB employee from #1010 (Clarksville, IN). Not in the computer dept but I'm the Media section.

The BIG problem with computers is that they get swamped really fast. Although they're maybe 3 guys on the clock in the department at the time, that still ain't enough.

Just offer the complete solution and keep up on your product knowledge. Our computer dept is doing great because so. And don't sell Lexmark printers. I'm serious.

Good Luck!

16. Aperture macrumors 68000

Aperture

Lexmark, those always seem to break.

17. jdechko macrumors 68040

Congrats on the new job.

I'm trying to get into the local store part-time (Saturdays). I have a regular full-time office job, but I need some supplemental income (to satisfy my droolings :) ).

18. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Enjoy the discount, because that's the only good thing about that job. But even then, 5% above cost isn't worth the sh&t you'll have to put up with from managers...cheers.

19. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be

Gotta love that Amercian work ethic :rolleyes: always doing the minimum you feel you can get away with...

How about being on time, every time. How about doing everything you're supposed to be doing, all the time. How about not doing anything against company policy, period, never mind getting caught.

It's not really that hard...no wonder there's an "immigrant problem" in this country (and I'm one of "them" by the way) :)

Good luck! <--- seriously

20. sb58 macrumors 6502a

sb58

i want to work at best buy... how old do you have to be?

21. Aperture macrumors 68000

Aperture

No, you don't.;)

Just Having Some Fun

22. nitynate macrumors 6502a

I would actually enjoy working at CompUSA.

I would tell all the people that are looking at PC's to buy a mac.

Wait!

I do that anyway! :p

23. mufflon macrumors 6502

gl on your new job, don't think so much about actual conduct - I'm sure they'll fill you in - so just do as many other have mentioned this far - read up on some more pc related computers / normal issues - and don't push macs overly much (I think it's just as annoying to a pc guy to be pushed macs as it is for me to be pushed windows-related merchandise / hardware) - so be lenient, have some nice mac related facts when you deem the time is ripe to sell macs, but let the customer decide :)

24. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

As far as I know, They only sell Mac Mini's. (And iPods, but we dont exactly count those as computers now, do we?) Although it's been a while since I checked.

25. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Thread winnar! :D