Anything better than Dropbox?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by projectone, May 21, 2009.

1. macrumors member

Jul 5, 2008
    Is there anything better than dropbox for file syncing that i am not aware of?

Oh. and if anyone can help me, it would be very nice if someone would help me bump up my storage space by signing up and install dropbox at this link [removed].:D
  2. macrumors 6502

Jul 4, 2007
    Paris, FRANCE
    nope :)
  3. macrumors 68040

Mar 24, 2006
    Nottingham, UK
    is dropbox encrypted?

i'm not convinced it is..?
  4. macrumors regular

Jul 12, 2009
  5. macrumors 6502

Oct 17, 2007

Dropbox works on Macs and PCs. Syncplicity is windows only. The OP didn't specifically ask if there was anything better than Dropbox for file syncing on the Mac, but given that this is a Mac forum, I don't think it's a stretch to assume he wasn't asking about windows-only software.

Then again, I could be completely wrong ;).
  6. macrumors regular

Jul 12, 2009
    No no i completely agree. I thought it was still on mac. Apparently they completely withdrew their mac offering as of july 31st. That's ridiculous because the program was amazing and killed dropbox. Oh well. Way to give up the market. I humbly revise my answer
  7. macrumors member

Sep 14, 2009
    mozy is pretty good. For the paid service, you get unlimited storage.
  8. macrumors 6502

Oct 17, 2007
    How so? I admit I only scanned the website, but from what I could tell, it did pretty much the same thing as dropbox. I won't be leaving dropbox any time soon, but I'm curious as to what made it better.

9. Guest

Oct 16, 2008
    It is

I wasn’t aware that referral links weren’t allowed. My apologies for starting a Dropbox referral thread the other day. I do have a question though: what if you really are referring someone? Like say if the OP had been asking if anyone knew of a good program that does what Dropbox happens to do. If I were to reply with a referral link to Dropbox, would that be allowed? It seems like it should be, as that’s exactly what referral links are meant for…referring people.
  10. macrumors 6502

Sep 22, 2008
    i've just cancelled by dropbox account and am now using JungleDisk.
    I know they are 2 completely different ideas but my storage needs changed
  11. Moderator

Staff Member

May 3, 2009
    I'm trying dropbox right now. I have mobileme but given how badly iDisk performs, it won't take much for me to be blown away.
  12. macrumors regular

Oct 29, 2008
    For me Dropbox works really well for keeping files updated and in hand.

I've tried but prefer Dropbox, if there's anything that's better for my needs I haven't found it.
  13. macrumors Westmere

May 16, 2008
    From Forum Rules:
    Sure, you can post a link to a recommended site. The difference comes when you're referring them to a link that helps you benefit directly in some way.
  14. Guest

Oct 16, 2008
    Oh I wasn’t disputing it, just saying I didn’t know.

But what if it’s both? If you’re recommending Dropbox to someone anyway, is it ok to use your referral link? It is a referral after all, and giving the referral link rather than regular benefits not only you, but the person you’re referring it to. It seems like the way referral links are meant to be used.
  15. macrumors Westmere

May 16, 2008
    You can recommend Dropbox by posting the generic link with no problems at all. If you post another link that benefits you in a direct way, it's my understanding that's a forum violation. When in doubt, checking with the moderators before posting is always a good idea.
  16. macrumors member

Jan 3, 2009
    Advisement on the Rules

This particular forum rule is complex and in need of clarification, as a simple referral link to a service that does more than compensate people for their recruiting does not constitute a multi-level marketing or pyramid scheme. Nevertheless, I would avoid posting referral links to things like Dropbox, Syncplicity, or software bundles like Macheist or Mac Bundle Box.
  17. macrumors member

Mar 19, 2009
    I've been using Dropbox's free option (up to 2 GB) for a few weeks now, after having tried easily over a dozen different syncing strategies between my computers over the years (including ChronoSync, iDisk, Windows Live Sync... the list goes on and on...) I'm amazed at how good and problem-free Dropbox has been, unlike all the others (some are very good, but there was always something that got up my nose). Dropbox is good stuff!
  18. macrumors 68000

steve knight

Jan 28, 2009
    so far dropbox has been very reliable. the iphone app is not great you can't copy say a picture from dropbox into a email. you can send a link but I needed the actual picture. you can only select one picture at a time.
  19. macrumors 68040

Aug 9, 2009
    Portland, OR
    I agree Mozy is great... but it is a totally different application than Dropbox. There is a small amount of overlap... but for the most part:

Mozy - cloud backup
    Dropbox - folder synchronization

Having said that... and to answer the OP's question... I personally use dropbox for "fast synchronization" between my various machines. I use Mobile Me for "larger capacity synchronization" between my various machines.

If I did not have Mobile Me, then I would get a paid dropbox account... because the file sync features of dropbox are better than the iDisk features of mobile me. However, MM address more than just "file sync", so it makes sense for me to have a mobile me account... and unfortunately for the good folks at dropbox... that means that their free product meets my needs.

20. macrumors newbie

Apr 4, 2011
    Tonido is better than DropBox,allows you to download Torrents offline, they give you HUGE amounts of storage compared to the latter.
  21. macrumors 6502a

Big D 51

Jan 15, 2011
    Mobile, AL
  22. Guest

Jan 6, 2005
    A barstool, Innis & Gunn in hand
    Lump me into the dropbox category. Use it on my mac, pc, iPhone, and iPad.
  23. macrumors 6502a

Jan 7, 2009
    Paris, France
    This is not competing with DB.

I am using DB with a maxed out free account at 18.9GB and this service totally rules everything out.
  24. Moderator emeritus

Mar 10, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    I'm trying out SugarSync at the moment, as an alternative to DropBox, or - more likely - in addition to DropBox.

Initial reaction: SugarSync feels a bit cruder than DropBox, and the setup is a bit more cumbersome, but it also gives you a bit more control (as far as I can tell) and a bit more (initial) free space.
  25. macrumors regular

Jul 12, 2009
    Huh? My free account maxes at 2gb.

Anyway, we need to share 3gb of files for a group project. However when we do this is wrecks everyone's personal dropbox. So we're moving to a better cloud solution instead of a syncing solution.