anything better than quicktime?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by brsboarder, Apr 5, 2004.

1. brsboarder macrumors 6502a

is quicktime really that good? i've been downloading some movied, mpg, mpeg, avi, and a bunch havent been working with quicktime, what can i get instead of this?

2. 1macker1 macrumors 65816

1macker1

I have the same problem. I was thinking about upgrading to quicktime pro to see if that fixed the problem.

3. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

4. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

You have to download and install the right codecs (DivX, AC3 etc.). QT pro won't help in your case.

5. Souljas macrumors regular

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

This question has been asked and answered at least a million times on this forum. That's what the "Search" function is for.

7. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

right, but i don't think the search function is as useful as some of us make it out to be, especially to a newbie. just as an example, you didn't list any of the threads that you could supposedly search for and find. i realize it's not your question so you don't want to bother searching for the orig. poster's sake, but i've had cases where i even remember some of the topics discussed in an old thread and i still had problem finding it via search.

if you feel a topic has been addressed already, just don't bother replying. it is annoying, esp. if you've been here a while, i agree. but i think if you are going to suggest searching, it might be more informative to list some of the relevant search results you can find for the poster, instead of just saying, "search."

as much as repeated questions are annoying (esp. those PB vs. iBook or what should i buy threads ;) ) but so are "do a search" response too.

nothing personal...

anyway, VLC is good, as others said.

8. King Cobra macrumors 603

VLC is crap. I've used it many times in the past. It crashes so damn much on me, so, to me, it's not even with its file size, much less, the download.

I have had so much better luck with MPlayer OS X v2 beta. And I've been on a luck streak with it lately...it hasn't crashed (too much), and it's been playing almost every AVI file I throw at it. (Oh, and MPlayer works fairly well for MPEG files as well.)

Hell, if need be, give both a try, and see which you like better (or at least which works better for you).
    __
    Speaking of not repeating topics, has anyone heard rumors about new Powerbooks coming sometime soon?

9. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

I love vlc. never had an issue or crash at all. its been very good to me.