1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

Anything interesting here? Not yet.

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by DustinT, Apr 22, 2011.

1. DustinT, Apr 22, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2011

macrumors 68000

DustinT

Well, I've been following some of the news around 10.7 and so far I'm not seeing anything that gets me excited. The biggest feature I hear about is the iOS style application icons on the desktop and its not getting me excited.

What do you consider to be the significance of this upgrade?

2. macrumors 68030

baryon

There are like 1000 threads that all answer your question in the greatest possible detail you could ever imagine.

3. macrumors 68000

DustinT

Right. Thats why I'm asking what the top features are.

4. macrumors 68000

lol.

Just scroll through. I mean look at the sticky for christ sake OR go to youtube OR go to apple.com/macosx.

:confused:

5. macrumors 68030

baryon

Well it depends what you call top features, as you probably know Lion has less big things and more medium things. To me, the sum of all the small things make it a very interesting upgrade. To see what I mean, check out the "All the small things" thread.

The advertised features are also nice, but I personally don't find any of them useful yet. I don't see Versions and Auto Save as a big deal, and I guess full screen is cool once apps start implementing it. Mission Control is a bit strange, I will either get used to it or hate it, but right now I don't feel that there's anything to change on Snow Leopard's current window management.

But the small things like new folder organizing features, grouping files into folders with a keystroke, proportional window resizing, new scrolling, etc... are really cool and I really think I will upgrade just for those features.

6. macrumors 68000

DustinT

Ya, thats pretty much was I was thinking. I'm seeing a lot of small stuff that seems to add up to a big zero to me. Honestly, very little of whats being added looks like an upgrade just feature tweaks. Maybe at WWDC they will reveal something more.

7. macrumors G3

roadbloc

8. macrumors 68000

DustinT

9. macrumors 6502

Personally, I think Apple may be holding back something big to surprise us with, be it related to that huge data centre or otherwise. At least that's what I'm hoping for.

Still, from what I've seen, Versions, Auto-Save, auto-resume apps look cool.

10. macrumors G3

roadbloc

Really?

:rolleyes:

11. macrumors 68000

applesith

I hope Apple saved some big features or even a new look to show at WWDC. So far it's been kinda eh.

12. jagsny, Apr 24, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2011

macrumors newbie

So much interesting...

Mail in itself is a big leap and worth upgrading for!!

Mission control, launchpad, different windows with different desktop backgrounds, three finger 3 taps on a word brings dictionary up, Time machine without external drive etc. are a a few fine tuned noticeable features.

Address book and iCal redesign(If you upgraded to the 2nd seed) stands out too.

13. 8CoreWhore, Apr 25, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2011

macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

He wants the OS to blow his mind or something. :rolleyes:

14. macrumors 68030

MattInOz

I think if developers implement those three part in there apps then Apple could use that to build a system level sync system which could make good use of that data centre. Plus it was rumored by some pretty reliable sources yet no sign as yet in the builds.

OS features are only ever interesting when developers pick them up.

15. macrumors newbie

Great Expectations!