Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ddrueckhammer

macrumors 65816
Aug 8, 2004
America's Wang
matticus008 said:
Oh, I see what you mean. I think that all the word processors, etc have thesauruses built in, with the exception of Textpad, so it might just be not worth the effort.

Pages doesn't :( , I really want this feature to make Pages more competitive. I know it needs more work than this but this is my #1 pet peeve.

matticus008 said:
Nope, that's the beauty of modern OS design. DVD Player would just pass the song right into the Audio subsystem, where the "surround" would be virtualized at the sound card and then sent through the output ports.

True, but if the OS is doing software virtualization then notebooks can use 5.1 speakers without an external receiver or external sound card. This probably isn't worth it as it is a small market but still.

matticus008 said:
I think that the Utilities folder is a pretty obvious place to start--in Windows most of these apps are located under Programs\Accessories\System Tools, so there shouldn't be that much confusion. But like I said, I think the utilities folder should be more prominent--that's another thing. You should be able to have custom views in Finder that allow folders to be sorted first, and the Utilities folder should have some sort of icon. Applications that are utilities should, furthermore, install by default to the Utilities folder. Things that are not "preferences" and/or configuration options shouldn't be in System Preferences at all.

Yeah you are probably right. They should just put the Utilities folder on the side bar of finder by default or something.

matticus008 said:
You should try Samba in Linux--the OS X implementation is far more stable and easy to use, but I agree it still needs some work. The command-K option isn't necessary--you can browse your network and connect to the share without having to know the command, or you can use the "Go" menu in Finder, which is pretty obvious. No keyboard shortcut is immediately obvious, which is why they should always have menu counterparts.

Browsing works when it works but sometimes it doesn't. At least in my experience. It is getting better though. I wouldn't say that the Go menu is that obvious either.

matticus008 said:
I'm not sure what you mean here. What doesn't Safari come with that it should? Internet Explorer doesn't even come with Flash or Java installed--plugins are by definition optional and as long as there's an easy way to install them, I think they've done their job.

You're right they have done their job but I would like to see agreements to have these plugins installed by default in Safari. They aren't really optional when you need them to view a good percentage of web sites. The plugins are free so I see no reason that they couldn't be included. Microsoft isn't an innovator or leader so I really don't like to make comparisons to their products.

XNine

macrumors 68040
ahunter3 said:
You can. Select Finder items, Copy (⌘-C), go to document, ⌘-V.

Nope. When I try this, it puts pictures of folders into Text edit.

FWIW, you can use Duality 4 instead of ShapeShifter. Duality actually edits the little TIFF resources rather than loading code at bootup time which redirects the "load" instruction to load resources from the Theme files. So it's riskier when you run it but after it runs you're just loading and using plain-vanilla system resources (the TIFFs of which have been edited), not haxies. Do a reliable bootable backup, then run Duality and install the theme you want, then you're all set. (Yeah, I know, not the same as an official Apple-approved theme manager. And not a solution if you want to switch from one theme to another fairly often, or have other users on your computer who don't want a modified appearance, since Duality mods will affect all users of the OS).

Exactly. I want to be able to customize everything from icons to toolbars to window colors/shading/textures, etc. ALL FROM APPLE. They really need this in the next version. Don't know if 150 other add ons would sway me if this wasn't one of them.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
I especially hate spotlight, you should be able to sort by various things in any view. And why doesn't command R work from the spotlight menu to reveal a file???

theBB said:
Oh, I almost forgot, "open new tab" button for Safari. :)

Command T.

mark!

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
America
I want them to update .mac, which doesn't really have to do with OS X, but just Mac's in general, it looks like before OS X but after OS 9...haha, (a mix).

But otherwise, I want them to add a theme of like...ALL smooth (aqua) or ALL brushed metal. I don't like how every other application is different. I also wish that you can change everything from blue, to a different color. I dont like how when I set something to graphite some stuff is still blue. (YES I'm aware of UNO [which is crap] & shapeshifter & etc).

I would also like them to just do general improvements like they always do. Especially with frontrow.

ahunter3

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2003
Onizuka said:
Nope. When I try this, it puts pictures of folders into Text edit.\

Odd. Works fine for me. I've got a whole office full of people selecting image files in the finder, copying them, and pasting them into a FileMaker field.

Maybe it's precisely because TextEdit will allow images? Try a text-only app like BBEdit or TextWrangler.

timswim78

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2006
Baltimore, MD
FTP: Ability to upload files to an FTP server with Finder.

Skins: Seriously, everyone's OS X desktop looks about the same to me.

Uninstaller: As previously mentioned, something similar to the Add/Remove Programs function of Windows' Control Panel.

Dock: The ability to float the dock.

Right mouse clicks: A more useful "right-click" menu. Specifically with a "rename" option. I find the way that OS X renames files to be funky.

Multiple Desktops: Once you have done this with Linux and Windows XP, you wonder why in the world it is not built into OS X.

IE7: Really, I'm not kidding. I installed it on a Windows XP box, and it is now my favorite browser. Plus, there are some sites that will only work with IE.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
What is the obsession with an uninstaller? One of my favorite features of OS X is that I don't need one. I just drag the app to the trash and poof, I'm done. No messy wizards or uninstalling programs.

AvSRoCkCO1067

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2005
CO
grapes911 said:
What is the obsession with an uninstaller? One of my favorite features of OS X is that I don't need one. I just drag the app to the trash and poof, I'm done. No messy wizards or uninstalling programs.

Yeah, I like that too...but when I tried to remove iWork by simply dragging Pages and Keynote into the trash bin, it didn't fully uninstall the program. There were little remnants left. SO, when I tried to reinstall iWork a few months later, it wouldn't let me - the system thought I already had iWork loaded.

If they could link all those little, extra files (like the packages and a few other small files) too the main application, that would be better than having an uninstaller. So in that sense, I definitely agree with you :) .

timswim78

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2006
Baltimore, MD
grapes911 said:

It keeps track of all of your installed software.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
AvSRoCkCO1067 said:
Yeah, I like that too...but when I tried to remove iWork by simply dragging Pages and Keynote into the trash bin, it didn't fully uninstall the program. There were little remnants left. SO, when I tried to reinstall iWork a few months later, it wouldn't let me - the system thought I already had iWork loaded.

If they could link all those little, extra files (like the packages and a few other small files) too the main application, that would be better than having an uninstaller. So in that sense, I definitely agree with you :) .
I can't say I've ever experienced that problem. I know small little files still exists, but they don't add up to the size of an uninstaller program. I usually don't worry about them. If I had to delete them, spotlight works wonders.

timswim78 said:
Thank you for that enlightening post. :rolleyes:

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
timswim78 said:
One day XP will take you 45 minutes to uninstall one messy program, you'll see what a blessing "just deleting an app" is.

timswim78

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2006
Baltimore, MD
grapes911 said:
Thank you for that enlightening post. :rolleyes:

Thanks for being a jerk:rolleyes:

Someone asked why I would like an uninstaller, and I said that I would like one because it keeps track of all my applications.

timswim78

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2006
Baltimore, MD
eva01 said:
and going to the applications folder doesn't?
Or just easily remembering what you have installed (isn't that hard)?

When you have over 100 applications installed, the applications folder isn't the easiest thing in the world to navigate, and it is not that easy to remember EVERY application that you installed and where you installed it. Also, many people, like me, have their applications installed on more than one disk. So, not everything goes into the same applications folder.

timswim78

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2006
Baltimore, MD
theBB said:
One day XP will take you 45 minutes to uninstall one messy program, you'll see what a blessing "just deleting an app" is.

Other than Norton's lousy products (which require multiple reboots), I have never run into that problem.

But let's not make this into an OS X vs. XP thread. There are too many of them here, and they are mindnumbingly dull.

My main point is that it would be nice to have a centralized listing of all of your applications.

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
ddrueckhammer said:
Pages doesn't :( , I really want this feature to make Pages more competitive. I know it needs more work than this but this is my #1 pet peeve.
Interesting. I didn't know that about Pages--I gave up on it a long time ago, though. It's like Microsoft Publisher, only not even as good.
True, but if the OS is doing software virtualization then notebooks can use 5.1 speakers without an external receiver or external sound card. This probably isn't worth it as it is a small market but still.
It's a market of size zero, actually ;). The PC-based 5.1 speakers have multiple jacks that need to be connected to multiple output channels. You can't use them without an external soundcard even if you wanted to give up virtual "surround" modes.

You're right they have done their job but I would like to see agreements to have these plugins installed by default in Safari.
Safari does have them--the example was meant to show that Safari is already prepared right off the bat for the most common plugins. Anything beyond that is an easy install for those who want it and a waste for everyone else. I know I'm not the only one who wants to sit down and delete a bunch of plugins as part of the new computer setup routine, especially since the "minor" plugins tend to change frequently and would have to be upgraded anyway.

As for the Go menu, at least for me, it's the only logical place I'd look for connecting to a network share from the Finder interface. Finder is so simple (and not in a complimentary way) that at least it's easy to see where all the broken or incomplete features are. I wouldn't mind seeing something in the "Network" section of Finder that said "set up a new share" which might have some more advanced features built in aside from an empty text box.

ddrueckhammer

macrumors 65816
Aug 8, 2004
America's Wang
matticus008 said:
Interesting. I didn't know that about Pages--I gave up on it a long time ago, though. It's like Microsoft Publisher, only not even as good.

What version of Pages were you trying to use. The new one is actually alright. I typed a couple of papers for school and a report for Physics and it had almost everything that the non-professional writer would need. Its missing a true mail merge spreadsheet combo and a few odds and ends but otherwise it works ok. They have the finder palatte which is a catch all for fuctions but you can customize the toolbar to add your frequently used ones. I don't think its a Word killer yet but it is actually one of the most simple page layout apps on the mac imho and works ok for a word processor.

matticus008 said:
IIt's a market of size zero, actually ;). The PC-based 5.1 speakers have multiple jacks that need to be connected to multiple output channels. You can't use them without an external soundcard even if you wanted to give up virtual "surround" modes.

Some of them do, some don't. Some go down to one mini jack, some have 5, some have 3 (left, right, sub) This is easy to modify with a adaptor. You are right that the third party vendors write the code for virtual surround sound and let me tell you that Creative writes horrible code. I would personally prefer it to just be part of the sound options for the OS.

matticus008 said:
ISafari does have them--the example was meant to show that Safari is already prepared right off the bat for the most common plugins. Anything beyond that is an easy install for those who want it and a waste for everyone else. I know I'm not the only one who wants to sit down and delete a bunch of plugins as part of the new computer setup routine, especially since the "minor" plugins tend to change frequently and would have to be upgraded anyway.

You may be right but still when you go to a site and it won't load because your browser is missing a plugin it is annoying. It also confuses people who don't even know what plugins are. Computer novices really don't know or care what plugins are they just know that the page they are trying to load won't come up. Sure its a 2 minute max download but it is still a road bump that is unecessary. If Apple did a deal with Adobe for the Flash & Shockwave plugins & Microsoft for Active X to be built in to Safari they could be updated as part of the system update and there would be no reasons why a site can't open. And more importantly no reason for me to get a call at work from my mom or sister or whoever asking why a site won't open.

matticus008 said:
IAs for the Go menu, at least for me, it's the only logical place I'd look for connecting to a network share from the Finder interface. Finder is so simple (and not in a complimentary way) that at least it's easy to see where all the broken or incomplete features are. I wouldn't mind seeing something in the "Network" section of Finder that said "set up a new share" which might have some more advanced features built in aside from an empty text box.

Great Idea! A network section of finder would work great. But I still think it could be located as a new tab in System Preferences/Networking.

Thanks for the great input!

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
timswim78 said:
Thanks for being a jerk:rolleyes:

Someone asked why I would like an uninstaller, and I said that I would like one because it keeps track of all my applications.
I'm not trying to be a jerk. I know what an uninstaller is, I just can't see a reason to include one in OS X. I'm asking the people who want it why they want it, not what they want it for. (does that make sense at all?)

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
ddrueckhammer said:
If Apple did a deal with Adobe for the Flash & Shockwave plugins & Microsoft for Active X to be built in to Safari they could be updated as part of the system update and there would be no reasons why a site can't open.

I don't know about your Safari but mine has Shockwave and Flash built-in. As for Active-X, who cares?

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
ahunter3 said:
And fix SMB, get it faster, get it to quit depositing Finderturds (._DS_Store, etc) inside PC volumes unless they can be made invisible to the PC OS.
I believe Finderturds will be my new word for the week. Lets see if I can use it at least once each of the next seven days.

Superdrive

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2003
Dallas, Tx
Active-X is a joke. I'll use Boot Camp or another PC if I must get onto a particular page.

What are people's infatuations with tabs? At this point, I think Safari just needs the button and iChat needs the implementation. Any other app, yes even Finder, doesn't seem to warrant it in my case. Perhaps people with those needs should be looking for a dedicated file browser instead of the easy Finder.

An add-remove program would be a bad thing. Even though Apple screwed up with Pages (I went through it here, too), any application should be removed by throwing it in the Trash. Period. Don't know where you hide your programs? Use the given Applications folder (create one on a removable drive for organization if you like) or File>Find... will show you any application on your computer.

Apple needs to remember to KISS. Keep it simple stupid.

We'll see plenty of improvements we didn't even think about in August.

ddrueckhammer

macrumors 65816
Aug 8, 2004
America's Wang
grapes911 said:
ActiveX is one big giant security hole. I wouldn't want it on my system. So I agree, who cares?

While I agree that Active X is a crappy plugin, it still doesn't change the fact that it is needed to view some websites. There has to be a way to emulate it or something so that sites can be viewed. I really just think that Apple should work with Microsoft to ensure that there isn't any site that their browser can't open.

Also, last time I checked Safari supports these plugins but they must be downloaded to work. I think the vast majority of users end up having Shockwave and Flash plugins installed anyway so why not make sure that they are installed from the beginning. I think the issue is that the plugins may come pre-installed on Macs but it isn't part of Safari if you do a fresh install.

There are users out there who, like I said, don't understand these things and just see a site not opening and don't understand that it isn't the browser or even the computers fault. Sure its an easy download but its one more thing...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.