Anything like Roboform for the Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by akadmon, Nov 21, 2006.

1. akadmon macrumors 68010

I'm, a long time user of Robofrom (internet form/password software - in case you don't know). Unforunately Roboform is not available for the Mac:( . I suppose there must be some piece of software for the Mac with similar functionality, just don't know where to look for it :confused:

2. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

You mean something that stores all your passwords securely? OS X has this already—it's called the Keychain, and it's built in. Whenever Safari asks if you want it to remember a password/login, it stores it in your keychain. If you ever need to look up a password stored there (or add your own secure notes to it) you can use the Keychain Access utility, in your Utilities folder in /Applications. :D

3. akadmon thread starter macrumors 68010

Thanks. If you're unfamiliar with Roboform, it makes the whole internet password thing automatic. For example, when you go to a website on which you have stored your login information (say it's your bank or cell provider), Roboform recognizes this and all you have to do is click a button to fill in the login information. Does Keychain do this? From what you describe, it seems that it does not, just provides a secure place from which you can retrive forgotten passwords, login name etc.

4. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

It seems to depend on the website, but if Safari asks to store your username and password for a website, it will autofill them in when you go back. Some places this doesn't happen. I'm not exactly sure how it determines where it will save stuff and where it won't (or if it's some special flag the website author can set).

For instance, Safari fills in my login info for my cell provider automagically (as well as for several forums I'm on), but not at my bank's website.

5. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

6. akadmon thread starter macrumors 68010

Thanks a bunch!

Now the MacHeist bit was joke, right?

7. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

No joke, it's a bit of a game thing that a few different Mac software developers are holding. :)

8. akadmon thread starter macrumors 68010

Um..Do you think I'd be asking about password encryption software if I were a hacker? :D

9. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

It's not even a hacking game, it's just a promotional thing. Traditional puzzle-type things. I haven't participated so I only know about it peripherally. Several other companies have done things like this in the past to drum up interest in an upcoming piece of software or game title (notably Cyan's run up to the release of Riven back in '98, their Zandi games for Uru, and Microsoft's ILoveBees game for Halo 2).

10. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

MacHeist is no joke... and its important to point out that its nothing illegal either. The current heist does mention "cracking software" and such, but all the "heists" are nothing more than little games. No actual hacking or corporate espionage actually occurs.

The "prize" for each week are free licenses to certain pieces of software that are usually not free. All prizes are donated by the actual software developer. This week 1passwd is one of the prizes.

If you want an invite, PM me your email and I'd be happy to give you one. Once again, this is 100% legal.

EDIT: Plus, I might add, the games are usually pretty easy. Besides, if you can't figure it out there is a forum on macheist.com that gives all the answers. So basically its free software.

11. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

Of course I only now notice that my invites for MacHeist are gone. Apparently you can't invite people while there is a heist in progress. Oops.

12. dteare macrumors newbie

Starting in Heist #2 registration is open to the public. IOW, there is no need for invites.

13. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    The Opera Browser has a form filler thing built in where you click a button and it fills out the page, similar to robowhatever...