Anything New Re: 3gz G5's???

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by fordespub, Jul 31, 2005.

1. fordespub macrumors newbie

I haven't checked in for a while, but I'm still waiting for the 3gz+ G5's. Talk of this has been quiet lately. Any thoughts on when we might see this? Will bringing in Intel chips bring the macs to the equivilent of that level soon? I've been hurting waiting and waiting and waiting. At this point, I'm thinking of just getting the 2.7gz dual G5. But with my luck, they'll introduce something better/faster just after I buy it. What have you heard???

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

why not read the site and forums before posting and then maybe you would find your answers? :rolleyes:

3. fordespub thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh, okay. Guess I should be sorry for posting a question on something called a forum. Maybe if I had more time, like some here, I could do just that.

4. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Hey, PlaceofDis is just saying that you should check out/search for existing threads that will more than likely address you very question - no need to get upset.

In your case I would just go with the DP 2.7GHz Power Mac G5- its super-fast and will last you for years to come. Beside going with the rev A of the upcoming intel Macs could be a tad risky (ie- Rev A ~ more bugs). So stick with a Mac that has had any/most of the bugs worked out of it. I love my 2.3GHz DP Power Mac G5 and could care less about the upcoming Power Macs, even if they are updated tomorrow (although I will probably buy a Rev B "intel inside" Power Mac when they come out - but this will probably only happen in about 2 years).

5. Alone2Gether macrumors regular

i was wondering...do we have a moderator on this forum? These re-posts are getting out of hand and many are ticked off. ;)

6. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

Why bother...

Why do people bother to complain about re-posts? If they are wasting so much time at MacRumours that they recall every post then they need to get outside for a bit, no? They guy had a decent question; he was too lazy to search; sheez...cut him some slack, eh?

-Hayduke

7. berkleeboy210 macrumors 68000

i second that, just like the threadhijackers in the marketplace forum. advertising there equipment on other ppl's threads.

8. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

I really get tired of the "repost" police. Often searches don't readily turn up relevant results, and it's not like it costs anyone anything to have a redone thread. I run an active message board of my own, and I've never considered recurring topics to be a problem.

Anyway, to answer the poster's original question, there's nothing known about 3 GHz PowerMacs at this point, but with a likely 2 years left of PPC PowerMacs, I can't imagine that they won't hit it eventually. I actually believe that we'll see 3 GHz G5s with the next PowerMac update. Either that, or 970MP dual-core chips.

9. MacSA macrumors 68000

MacSA

There haven't been any rumours of 3ghz G5 Macs of late, the only rumour that might interest you is the one of IBM offically annoucing the dual core 970MP. http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2005/07/20050707113252.shtml

And the Powermac received an update 99 days ago.. don't expect anything soon.

As for people complaining about new posts....... GET A LIFE. I'm sure a vague answer to every question that anyone will ever want to ask is here somewhere... maybe we should just close the boards and stop people posting to keep you happy. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

10. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Sorry fordespub, please don't be upset. Everyone was a newbie at one time. Don't think that you deserve to be picked on. Yes, there are moderators. IMHO no one is forced to look at all the forums. If a post bothers you it may be better to just not post. We are all here to get information and try to be helpful to our fellow members.

I also would recommend not purchasing a Rev. A Intel Mac. There is no way of knowing when a 3 GHz might be available.

11. iGary Guest

iGary

It took almost a year to get .2GHz out of the 2.7....do the math.

12. fordespub thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you to those who lent support. You show great character! I understand the concerns that some have with re-posts. Yes, I'm a newbie and I suppose I will be sure to read through the other posts before asking a question. I just, personally, don't have that much time these days, and look for quicker answers. Does'nt anyone here call 411 for phone number assistance instead of looking through a phonebook??? The fact that there are so many posts attests to the merit of this site, but it can take quite a while to look through them for answers, even with categorization and search capabilities. Thank you to those who included some ideas! I may just go for the 2.7 and enjoy sooner rather than later!

13. crap freakboy macrumors 6502a

crap freakboy

Pretty sure I read somehere that the benchmarks for the Powermacs werent that different...<checks>...http://www.barefeats.com/g527.html.
    Before anyone jumps on me with "WTF man!! My 2.7 screams!", a few seconds per action wouldnt honestly bother a non-power user such as myself. So the financial savings between the 2.3 and 2.7 really outweigh the work-flow savings af probably 10 minutes a day (one cup of coffee drinking). Perhaps thats just me.
    Either way check out Apple refurbished section before buying a new system, could save you quite a bit.

14. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

don't worry about the repost thing.

i second the peoples opinion to go with the 2.7 ghz. a 3 ghz model would be only 10% faster at best. so the only real thing you could miss is a prize drop. i'm in the market for a 2.3 ghz model. i'll wait till october or so because i don't have time for a new computer during the summer time. too much outdoor stuff going on :) .
    maybe there is something at the expo in paris end of september. but the only thing i'm actually expecting is a prize drop or some money saving bundle deal (bluetooth and keyboard for free, mighty mouse for free, discount on gpu's).

15. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Good Idea fordespub!

16. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

Well, not to get off topic but I used to have a dual 2.7 powermac. I had to sell it for personal reasons. I fixed that situation and recently bought a dual 2.3 and I know most won't believe me, but this baby is noticeably faster than my dualie 2.7 *ducks under desk*. I can't explain and don't yet have any benchmarks to prove it, but real world usage is just incredible. I don't get it. Anyway, I say don't wait, there will always be a faster machine - you can bet on that.

17. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I have to agree- the 2.3GHz DP Power Mac G5's pack a serious wallop.

Not so sure it would beat a dual 2.7GHz G5...although, there is supposedly something about the DP 2.7 Power Mac's CPU speed to FSB ratio that can inhibit performance.

18. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

could it be that the dual 2.7 for heat reasons runs on a lower clockspeed most of the time anyway? in that case you wouldn't feel a difference in gui responsiveness.

19. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Why even bother with that 3 GHz? Do you mean that extra 300 MHz over 2.7 will make you have more free time???

20. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

Actually, you may have something there. My old 2.7 would heat up and the fans would kick on very often. The sound of jet aircraft would start even when just opening safari or mail. I haven't heard the fans on my 2.3 yet. Hmmmm. :rolleyes:

21. Switzermac macrumors regular

I dont think a 3ghz is on its way till after intel

22. Xephian macrumors 6502a

Xephian

It's more than likely that we'll be at 4Ghz by then with the Intel Power Macs in 2007-2008.

23. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Hmm... old?? ;)

24. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

There are a few moderators but many more posts! We can't moderate everything. If you see a post that you think needs moderating, use the "report post" button [​IMG] to bring it to our attention :)

25. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

AppleInsider is reporting the Jobs is doing the keynote at the Paris Expo. I have it on good authority (my maid's second cousin once removed sweeps up hair at the shop where Steve Jobs gardener gets his hair cut) that he will either announce the long awaited 3 GHz PowerMacs. Either that or the Mighty Mouse Pro. :rolleyes: