Anything other than a Phillips 00 screwdriver to open MB RAM door?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mattcube64, Sep 21, 2006.

1. mattcube64 macrumors 65816

mattcube64

I plan on picking up the MB RAM up at BestBuy after school today, but don't have a size 00 Phillips screwdriver. Are there any household items I could use? I was thinking a perry knife...? If not, do places like HomeDepot carry them, and how much are they?

Thanks.

2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Get the right screwdriver. The MB screws are easily stripped, and the right tool is worth the cost.

Home Depot should have them, possibly in a kit as "jeweler's screwdrivers", just ask one of the salescritters. If they aren't helpful, a Sears or Ace store will have the right stuff for sure.

3. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

i used a screwdriver that came in a glasses repair kit. it is really small so figured it would work and it did.

i think investing in the right tool would have been a good idea, though. while i didn't strip the screws, i felt a bit uneasy. they are screwed in there pretty tightly!

disclaimer: this was for a MBP not a MB.

4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Absolutely get the correct screwdriver. I used a kit of small jeweler's screwdrivers on my PB, and I destroyed three of the screwdrivers (luckily it was the cheap screwdrivers rather than the screws) trying to get the screws out. I then went out and picked up a real, solidly constructed 00 screwdriver from my hardware store for just a few bucks and things went much better.

5. mattcube64 thread starter macrumors 65816

mattcube64

Okay, I'll stop by Sears after BestBuy. It's not that I was trying to be cheap, it's just I didn't feel like waiting for an online order to be shipped.

I love instant gratification. :p

6. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

don't we all? ;)

7. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

8. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

I used a tack on my powerbook when i didn't have a 00 screwdriver on me, and it worked perfectly fine. No stripped screws, but i wouldn't recommend it.

9. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Try to get a really short Philips 00: the battery bay isn't very wide, so if the screwdriver's too long, you won't be able to line it up properly with the screw.

10. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

That must be the pain-killers talking. Not a recommended method.

11. mattcube64 thread starter macrumors 65816

mattcube64

Well, I ended up picking up a 00 screwdriver from Sears. It was like $2.50 or something. While it was still difficult getting the L-bracket out, it was still easier than it would of been without the screwdriver.

It ended up taking me three tries to get the RAM to work. The first two times, I had a "power failure" and so I had to try again. I guess you just have to push REALLY hard on the stick.

Anyways, I'm happy to report I now have 1.25GB and loving it. I'd like to get another gig, but I don't think I really need it.

Thanks for the responses, guys!