Anything really work to repel deer?

Discussion in 'Community' started by MacDawg, Jun 18, 2005.

1. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

OK, so my wife has some flower beds that the deer are ravaging... mainly the hosta and the black-eyed Susans.

Every morning she gets up and they are mowed down, and she gets all worked up and irritated (which is where I come in).

She has tried a variety of things, ammonia, urine, and commercial sprays that include egg and garlic.

Any ideas?
    She wants me to shoot them, and while the idea has a certain appeal to the primal hunter in me :rolleyes:, we live in a neighborhood that would frown on such activity :eek:

Woof, Woof - Dawg

2. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

I've heard that human hair will keep them away.... :eek:

3. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

a dog maybe?
    Or a motion sensor connected to a light/not so loud alarm?

Not much deer around here :eek: :rolleyes:

good luck

4. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

I use Deer Scram. It works very well and it is all organic. Good Luck!

5. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Hey, if that works, post it here. I might be needing that soon :D

D

6. MacDawg thread starter macrumors P6

MacDawg

My wife liked the idea of the Deer Scram because you don't spray it directly on the plant/flower. She might check this out. I'll let you know if she does.

Woof, Woof - Dawg

7. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Also, is it bad for other animals? Like cats and dogs? Their site was a little much and I didn't see anything about that in the few seconds I read their front page....

D

8. Aeolius macrumors 6502a

9. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

A Tiger?

Electric fences work a treat for small areas, the chemical deterrents tend to wash out in the rain. This works with goats, who are much more tenacious than deer I think.

Try sitting up all night for about 30 years with a rifle till their instincts keep them away from your place... :D

10. iindigo macrumors 6502a

iindigo

Well, having some experience in gardening and deer (yay for living in the country!) I must say that electric fence works well. What we done here is put up an electric fence around our garden, and then to make sure the deer knew the fence would hurt them we tore off 3/4 of a tin pop can, put peanut butter in the remaining 1/4th, then wrapped a strip of the pop can we left in the back around one of the wire. This attracked the deer, and then it got shocked - after two or three times of that happening, our deer trouble dropped to a minimum.

Another thing you might want to try is pepper wax spray - it's all natural, doesn't hurt the plant, and when the deer takes a bite it sets their mouth on fire (not literally, of course ;)).

11. MacDawg thread starter macrumors P6

MacDawg

My wife is using Liquid Fence, and it seems to work OK, but she just doesn't apply it often enough and we had so much rain the last two weeks. She is a penny pincher and tries to make it last and even waters it down! Silly I know.

She went to the store to get more, but its like closing the barn after the horse is out.

The neighbor up the street put up an electric fence in his front yard!

Woof, Woof - Dawg

12. iGary Guest

iGary

[​IMG]

I guarantee you will never have the same deer visit twice. :D :eek:

13. Guitarius macrumors 6502a

Guitarius

I too have heard this.

14. poundsmack macrumors 6502

poundsmack

damn that was gona be my answer

15. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    I have heard that the human urine in question has to be from someone who eats meat.

There are plants that will repel the deer naturally. Marigolds I think.

16. Zeke macrumors 6502

Only thing we've found that works (used to come home and see 6 or so deer in our front yard all the time) is the Scarecrow. Motion detecting sprinkler. Deer haven't touched a thing since we put them in. Well worth the money.

17. MacDawg thread starter macrumors P6

MacDawg

OK, found the Scarecrow, and now my wife wants to know how durable it is. Says you just use a 9 volt battery. Can you reuse it year after year by just replacing the battery?

She likes this option because she's paying about $17 per bottle of repellant and you can get this contraption for $53 and some change (ordering 2). Buy 7 bottles of repellant or 2 Scarecrows and reuse them.

How long have you had yours and how is it holding up?

Woof, Woof - Dawg

18. MacDawg thread starter macrumors P6

MacDawg

Urine didn't work too well for us, and I guess the rain washes it away quickly. I think she has used hair too, without success.

Woof, Woof - Dawg

19. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Nickygoat

You live in a neighbourhood where they don't like you to shoot animals but are happy for you to pee on your front lawn? :p

20. MacDawg thread starter macrumors P6

MacDawg

Nah, have to pee in a bottle inside and pour it out in the flower bed... sick really.

I think if she gets the sprinkler she will pull it up the first time it sprays her!

Woof, Woof - Dawg

21. fistful macrumors 6502a

fistful

you could try luring the deer away from your garden with some strategically placed salt licks, not sure how effective that would be.

22. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

LOL! MacDawg, hope you find a reliable solution, soon. That shotgun picture made me think of my old hunting buddies. We could rustle up that crew, put'em in a treestand near your garden, 24/7. In the 5 years I went out with'em, they never seen a deer! So I suppose they'd qualify as deer repellant. :D
    X

23. Guitarius macrumors 6502a

Guitarius

Even though deer isn't in season, would it be illegal to kill one if was a pest?

24. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

In Michigan, that's called poaching, and can get you in a load of trouble. Unless you hit it with your car, then you're supposed to call the police, fill out an accident report, have your insurance rates go through the roof, etc. Unless you toss it in the back seat, and don't tell anybody you have it.

:p