Anything similar to warcraft???

Discussion in 'Games' started by donjohnnyson83, Dec 26, 2006.

1. donjohnnyson83 macrumors newbie

So I'm looking for a game similar to warcraft 3 on my mac or even xbox. I was addicted to that game when it came out and have yet to find anything to compete with it. I recently bought kingdom under fire for my zbox, but it's simply not as good. I also am trying to stay away from World Of Warcraft game, Dont really like the idea of monthly payments. PLEASE HELP ME OUT

2. michaelsaxon macrumors 6502

If you can Boot Camp, the only other MMO I've enjoyed is Eve Online; it is a totally different experience than WoW, but it is good.

http://www.eve-online.com/

3. Kane.Elson macrumors regular

not exactly the same but you can try AoE 3 or AoM: titans etc... They are great games.
    Another thing there is a mod for W3 called DoTA it is quite fun.

4. donjohnnyson83 thread starter macrumors newbie

Does it start similar, with the idea of just one little guyand you decide what and when to build armies/buildings/upgrades . . . thats really what i am looking for . . . . and what is boot camp??

5. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

The only RTS games I've enjoyed like Warcraft is Starcraft, AoE 1 & 2 and Command & Conquer (the original one and Red Alert) and I think thats it, I was really hoping forward to Rome Total War but damn that game is hardly an RTS... more like real time high scale combat simulator, damn have I been dissapointed about a game...

6. Schmittroth macrumors regular

Schmittroth

Star Wars Empire at War will be out soon. Also check out Homeworld 2. They are both gather, build and fight RTS games.

7. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

So basically you're just looking for real-time strategy games? Extremely scarce for consoles, for the good reason that controlling them properly with a gamepad is virtually impossible. In that case, in alphabetical order:

Age of Empires II Gold
    Age of Empires III
    Age of Mythology
    Command and Conquer Generals (plus expansion)
    Galactic Battlegrounds (plus expansion, basically Age of Empires with Star Wars units)
    Rise of Nations Gold
    Warrior Kings

and of course:

STARCRAFT!!

Which is better than Warcraft. IMO. (Though I do like Warcraft.) If you want to stretch the genre slightly, then also add Homeworld 2.

What sort of Mac do you have? If you can run Classic:

Age of Empires I
    Command and Conquer
    Total Annihilation Gold (which is great, somehow slightly Starcraft-ish in feel)

Probably forgot some....

It lets newer (Intel) Macs boot into Windows. However, you have to acquire Windows and install it, and then reboot every time you want to use Windows. No game is worth that. ;) Especially not for EVE Online, which is coming to the Mac anyway (but only Intel Macs), possibly early 2007.

--Eric

8. donjohnnyson83 thread starter macrumors newbie

Maybe I'm just mildly stupid right now, but what's IMO?

9. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

In My Opinion

10. Schmittroth macrumors regular

Schmittroth

Where did you see EVE coming to the Mac? I've been looking for a modern Privateer for ages. X2 can bite me.

11. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Here.

--Eric

12. kyl3 macrumors newbie

Command and Conquer:Generals and the expansion is a good start. I also like the Age of Empire Series.

13. Schmittroth macrumors regular

Schmittroth

A Cider port eh? Dunno, I'm not gonna bet any money on seeing this anytime soon.

14. sb58 macrumors 6502a

sb58

starcraft.

someone probably already suggested it. (didn't look)

15. Mac'Mo macrumors 6502a

Mac'Mo

dota is glorious! im gonna install run WC3TFT under bootcamp on my MB to play!!!

16. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

Nobody's mentioned Stronghold yet?

I really enjoyed it, an RTS [Real Time Strategy (Build, Gather, Fight)] that has you build castles and defend them.

17. shellbryson macrumors 6502

shellbryson

Personally, I think WoW is worth every penny. It's not so expensive if you buy in 12 week subscriptions (so, not montly). I'm very much looking forwards to playing that on my Mac Pro when it arrives next week.

BTW... anyone here playing it on a 30" apple HD display?

18. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Shame isn't it? Such a great game, however the community has dropped to near nothing. The single player quests are fun, however I have difficulty beating the pig's home castle (without cheats). :mad:

I am an avid Frozen Throne-er and play DotA (as someone else pointed out) a lot. Simply put warcraft is one of a kind. Apart from Stronghold or maybe Civilization nothing seems to top it.

19. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Starcraft (with Brood War, the expansion) is possibly the best RTS of all time. Definitely try it.